Personal Hot Spot

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

All:

In August, we will be staying at a cabin in Maine. I expect
wireless connectivity to be suspect (The last time I "borrowed"
the signal from a kids camp across a neck in the lake).

My iPhone has a thing called a Hot Spot function, and AT & T has
decent receptivity at the lake.

I have never tried the iPhone Hot Spot or tried to connect to a
so-called personal hot spot with JAWS and my Windows (7 or 8.1)
computer.

Should I even bother? Has anyone on the list ever got the
connection to work with JAWS?

The only sighted assistance I'll have are Luddites. So, I'll
either have to do it myself or perch on the ledge again and hope
to connect to the camp - assuming they haven't secured the signal.

"Thanks!

Sent from my Yoga IdeaPad

I. Edward Marquette

Universal Phone: 408.692.5640

Mobile: 816.812.0088

Cy Selfridge

Hello,
I have just talked to Sprint about using my iPhone as a hot spot.
Yes, it can be done and, yes, it works well - but - it will cost you a
monthly fee I believe.
Your carrier has to authorize the iPhone as a hot spot in order to use the
phones data plan.
HTH, Cy

[...]

Michael Mote

I have done this before with my computer using JAWS 15.0 and Windows 7.
JAWS is not really the determining factor on whether or not the hot spot
works or not. You should find your iPhone connection where you would
normally find your Wireless connection options. Be sure and password
protect your hot spot connection. Also, you may want to make sure you have
the service from AT&T, as part of your data plan. Good luck!

[...]

Dave...

Ed,

As long as you have a data plan, and have your cellular data turned on, you
can use your personal hot spot as a way to connect your laptop to the
internet wirelessly. The phone acts as a wy-fi router and communicates using
cellular data. A bit slower than DSL or cable-based Wi-fi, but very handy.

Despite what you might hear, you can set all this up without sighted help.
Set up your iPhone first so that you have a passphrase for security. Then
with this on, connect your computer to the wi-fi it finds with the iPhone
on. It may take time for it to locate, but be patient.

One warning -- Turn this off when you're at home or using another wi-fi,
especially if you are downloading data or files. Personal hot spot will
connect when you don't expect it to, and the data usage goes up
significantly without you even knowing it. Use it only when you are
traveling and turn it off when you don't need it.

Yes, I know nothing to do with JAWS.
Dave Carlson
Happy to be an Oregonian, pioneer, landlord, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker

[...]

Dave, With Sprint you have to pay extra for this ability and, IMO, it is
fairly pricey.
Cy