From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell via Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 11:04 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Shared components

I know this question has been asked many times, so here it is one more time!
When uninstalling an older version of JAWS, is it or is it not best to
leave the shared components, rather than doing a full uninstall?
I know that some times a full uninstall creates problems in newer versions.
So am I answering my own question?

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell

Blaise Pascal

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

If you install a newer version of Jaws, but want to keep an older version of Jaws, you do not want to uninstall the shared components.

I know this question has been asked many times, so here it is one more time!
When uninstalling an older version of JAWS, is it or is it not best to
leave the shared components, rather than doing a full uninstall?
I know that some times a full uninstall creates problems in newer versions.
So am I answering my own question?

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Blaise Pascal

Mario

right. even if you have version 10 and want to install version 11, for
example. the structure of the video intercept driver was upgraded in version
11, but there are components that are shared /used by 10 and 11.

If you install a newer version of Jaws, but want to keep an older version of
Jaws, you do not want to uninstall the shared components.

I know this question has been asked many times, so here it is one more time!
When uninstalling an older version of JAWS, is it or is it not best to
leave the shared components, rather than doing a full uninstall?
I know that some times a full uninstall creates problems in newer versions.
So am I answering my own question?

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Blaise Pascal

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

I will never uninstall the shared components of JAWS, based on a recent
experience. It is my thought that as long as you use any updates of JAWS,
you do not want to ever uninstall the full version.

Recently, I was going to disconnect an old computer, so thought that I
needed to uninstall the full version of Openbook. I wanted to still leave
JAWS as I had other files to delete etc. When I uninstalled Openbook, I
ended up with no speech, so, couldn't finish deleting files. I thought JAWS
would still be okay, but not the case.

Barbara Hansen

If you install a newer version of Jaws, but want to keep an older version of
Jaws, you do not want to uninstall the shared components.

I know this question has been asked many times, so here it is one more time!
When uninstalling an older version of JAWS, is it or is it not best to leave
the shared components, rather than doing a full uninstall?
I know that some times a full uninstall creates problems in newer versions.
So am I answering my own question?

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Blaise Pascal

---

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That's exactly the problem. The video handling changed, and certain programs (such as some Office programs) did not work properly. The only way to restore full functionality to 10 was to uninstall 11 completely, then reinstall 10 in repair mode. Same went for 12.

Ted