I have a theory about my jaws startup issue.

Christopher-Mark Gilland via Jfw <jfw@...>

OK, let me recap a bit here for everyone's reference.

I wrote the list about half a week ago somewhere around the 4th of the month. I was having an issue whereby using Windows 8.1 Home Premium and all the updates along with JAWS 15 Pro were producing a very weird issue. Even though under the JAWS window>Options>Basics, I had it set to automaticly run at the logon screen, as well as to run after logon for all users, and I had the combo box set to always, I still found that JAWS refused to load after logon. It worked fine as far as launching at the logon screen itself, but once logged on, it wouldn't autostart.

Most of you all said you were not having this issue with Windows 8.1, and had suggested I repair JFW. I did this to absolutely no avale. One member wrote in suggesting it was something to do with the latest Internet Explorer update, as once they installed that update, they began having the same issue. I must say I found that incredibly hard to relate the two things to one another. How could IE have anything to do with jfw not starting up. I honestly still to this minute hold my opinion that for that person, it was totally bad timing/coencidental. All of this however said, I don't rule it out, but I do find it unlikely. I do! however, have a theory. I confess that I've not gotten the chance to call FS quite yet about this. I plan to do so this morning first thing when they open up. Basically though, here's my theory. Again, this may seem kind of like the I E guess. It may sound 100% unrelated. Chances are, it probably isn't related in any respect, I agree, but, I'm very much unwilling at this point to look over it, and rule it out as not being possible. I am *not!* running an Intel Pentium processor. I've got the laptop version of an AMD Athlon. Stupid as it may sound, I have heard of weird things happenning with certain programs if you install them on the wrong type of processor, or on one that isn't fully supported. Though I totally! understand that JFW fully supports all the major processors from Intel, AMD, to even Celeron, I'm curious if this might be a bug within the AMD architecture and how it plays back into JFW in a whole. If anyone's got Windows 8.1, and JAWS 15 with access to an Athlon system, laptop or not, I'd be extremely curious to know if you have this issue... specifically with jfw 15 in combination with Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Either way, I'll be calling FS here in just a bit, but I figured I'd throw this out there as one final attempt for you guys to help me.

Thanks.

Chris.

Joseph Lee via Jfw <jfw@...>

Hi Chris,
There are a number of variables to consider regarding this theory:
* Although Intel and AMD uses different microarchitecture (with same x86
ISA), even different microarchitecture and product families may create this
issue. For example, APU's (Accelerated Processing Unit) are designed as a
CPU-GPU hybrid, thus programs may or may not respond as quickly as before
(or after).
* If it is unique to JFW15 (not to an earlier version) and for 64-bit
Windows 8.1, chances are that something weird is going on in the startup
code after you log into Windows (this tells me that FS might be using a
newer update of VS2010/2012 to compile JFW).
* It might not be hardware at all - perhaps a group policy setting might
have changed things, startup scans and so on. If System Restore didn't help,
then we need to do something more advanced.
* To be sure on this theory (rather, a hypothesis, in my opinion), we need
people willing to test your scenario on different AMD CPU families such as
FX (Bulldozer/Piledriver), APU's and so on, as well as people using Intel
Core/Pentium/Celeron series (up to second batch of 4th generation Core
processors). If people running AMD CPU's can reproduce this issue, then it
is unique to the way AMD handles some stuff, otherwise it's a software
problem.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Petro T. Giannakopoulos via Jfw <jfw@...>

Just a thought here. What about a BIOS update?

[...]

BIOS update is a sensitive suggestion, in that you might be risking ILM
activation (some of us have reported this critical problem to FS a few
months ago, particularly when it comes to UEFI updates). However, I think
it's more towards software setting that might be causing an issue.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Well, I spoke with Vicki in FS support, and she insists that it's not their problem, and that something in my task manager is causing the problem, but I've gone into my startup items and disabled everything! yet, still have the issue, just as I suspected that I would.

She was incredibly reluctant to open a support ticket, but I kept pressing at her to do so, and finally she did. that said, she told me that the ticket probably wouldn't be acted upon unless I tried disabling all startup items and it still persisted. Which, of corse, it did. So, yeah, I'm not exactly impressed right now with Tech Support, I have to admit.

She wasn't even willing to acknowledge that it even might! be an issue on their end.

[...]

Huh?

Why something that extreme? Am I missing something here?

Chris.

[...]

Chris
Worth a shot to do. Have you had a sighted person look at the screen when
this issue happens? Maybe there is something on the screen me and you do not
hear?

[...]

Voy44 via Jfw <jfw@...>

Hi Chris,

it cannot be the processor, since mine is a Celeron and I am running Win 8.1 32 bit.

Regards,
Nermin

Christopher-Mark Gilland via Jfw <jfw@...>

I have.

In addition to this, I am low vision, so if anything was indeed popping up, I would have seen it.

[...]

via Jfw <jfw@...>

I had a similar issue on an IBM Thinkpad ... Intel based ... running
Windows 8.1 Pro ... It was my work machine, and even though I had been
granted "admin" rights to the box ... Until I got our security guys to
give me the full admin rights ... and I ran the install "as
administrator", well the issue then went away ...

Peter Logan
Database Administrator
SpartanNash INC.
Office: 616/878-8309
Mobile: 616/304-9672

From: Christopher-Mark Gilland via Jfw <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Date: 05/12/2014 03:25 PM
Sent by: "Jfw" <jfw-bounces@...>

[...]

Just trying to help here. Have you unplugged all devices, USB and all and
see what happens?
What about the UAC - User Account Control. maybe set it to no, 0%, off and
see how JAWS functions.

[...]

Right click the JAWS 15 icon and enter on 'run as administrator'.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) via Jfw <jfw@...>

Rotsa ruck on that one, if you don't really have administrative privileges on a network machine. That's about the silliest Windows option yet, as, if it were that easy, anyone could be an administrator on anything.

Ted

[...]

Once you have done this ... then run the startup wizzard and set all your
start up things ...

Now that I think about it .. this is what actually fixed the same issue
for me ....

Peter Logan
Database Administrator
SpartanNash INC.
Office: 616/878-8309
Mobile: 616/304-9672

From: "Petro T. Giannakopoulos via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Date: 05/12/2014 03:39 PM
Sent by: "Jfw" <jfw-bounces@...>

[...]

Hmm!

Dumb question, probably not, but I wonder if it's gotta do with it being 32 vs. 64 bit.

I just got off the line with Dennis from tech support, and he even tandommed into my system. He looked around and saw absolutely nothing. We are noticing when hitting insert+F10 to open the jaws apps list, there are about 2 or 3 entries which jfw is not focussing on which say something to the effect of Microsoft Windows 8 operating system. He thinks these are alerts coming up on the screen or which may be down in the system tray area not being read. Alt+tab won't get me to them. I told him that I had enough vision to see the screen well enough to tell that there absolutely is *no!* alert whatsoever coming up on the screen. There isn't even an icon in the taskbar nor in the notification area. I had my mother look who last eye exam was told to have 20 20 vision, literally, and she, neither saw any alerts of any type. We went into ms config and disabled all startup items that were non microsoft related in the 3rd party services. We also looked in just the regular task manager and disabled anything in there that looked suspicious. Nothing worked. We even went and made sure to give full access permission to the program files\freedomscientific folder and all inherritted subfolders. Yes, I am running jfw as an administrator. Yes, I am logged in as an administrator, and yes, U A C is disabled.

I totally give up! I don't know what else to do to convince FS that something weird's going on. I even tried this on a friend's laptop who also is running windows 8. I just wanted to see if I could reproduce the problem. I most definitely did. Even on their! system, jfw wouldn't start after the logon.

Before you ask, I'm using Microsoft Bit Defender for my virus scanner, and yes, I did try disabling it with no effect. I'm not so much irritated that I can't get this to work, as much as I'm pissed that FS undoubtedly thinks I'm stupid! They make it sound like I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing. When I told Dennis all I'd done once he started verbally flying off things to try, he literally stopped dead in his tracks, and literally right in the headset goes... D!*** It's almost like they all think I'm dumb, or something. I mean, come on! It's not like I started using the pc two hours ago and never've seen one before then! Judice Priest!

Chris.

Christopher-Mark Gilland via Jfw <jfw@...>

Yeppers, in both cases. Been there done them, gotta t shirt to prove it.

[...]

Adrian Spratt via Jfw <jfw@...>

Petro, I'm not sure you're getting enough credit here. I just had to say I admire your persistence and patience.

[...]

Whoh! Easy there!

With all due respect, when did I say I didn't give Petro any credit! All that I said was that I didn't see how a bios update would help, and then I asked him to clarify. On the note of right clicking, all that I said was that I already had tried that suggestion. How in the name of heck! is that not giving him credit? Egg skeuze? me for just stating a question, and a fact!

Chris.