JAWS and potential Job question

Andrew Diederick

Hello Listers,

I have a job interview with an insurance company. I inquired as to
the software system/setup they use for the customer service position I
would be interviewing for. Below is the information the human resource
individual gave me with respect to the technology that is utilized in
this customer service position. I have received some initial feedback
about this information, but thought I would post it here to see if any
other individuals know anything further. I have cut and pasted what
the HR individual said below:

"Thank you for your question. Our system is IBM based AS400. It is
programmed internally, and it is not windows based. I do not know if JAWS
will work with our environment. I can check into it, however, and let you
know."

Does the IBM AS400 set up work with JAWS? I am not technically savvy,
programming language and what not, so what he said was greek to me.
Any additional information would be greatly appreciated as to the
accessibility of their set-up. If you have anything that would be
helpful for me to pass along in subsequent conversations, please feel
free to share. Thank you in advance. -Andrew-

Dean Martineau <dean@...>

This is definitely a case where your state agency's tech staff, if they are
at all responsive, could evaluate the situation. The interface won't be
accessible out of the box, but might be able to be scripted. This
specialized activity is the sort of thing agencies for the blind can and
should do if they're properly equipped.

Dean

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dean.martineau.7
Twitter: @deantopdot
Subscribe to the free weekly Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday at
http://www.flying-blind.com

[...]

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

The AS400 is the box or operating system. You need to find out what they use to access the system. Often these are accessed through an emulator such as PCom which works with jaws with some scripting or Attachmate depending on the version. There are others but generally they can be scripted to work with Jaws. It could also have a web based front end. So you need to find out what they use to access the AS400.
Tom Bisset

[...]

Michael Mote

Dean is absolutely right here. Their interface may be accessible to you, if
scripts are written specifically for JFW. I would contact your state
rehabilitation office, so see if they could conduct a work assessment for
you. This way they can determine what you will need, and help with any
accommodations. This is their job.

individual said below:

"Thank you for your question. Our system is IBM based AS400. It is
programmed internally, and it is not windows based. I do not know if JAWS
will work with our environment. I can check into it, however, and let you
know."

Does the IBM AS400 set up work with JAWS? I am not technically savvy,
programming language and what not, so what he said was greek to me.
Any additional information would be greatly appreciated as to the
accessibility of their set-up. If you have anything that would be helpful
for me to pass along in subsequent conversations, please feel free to share.
Thank you in advance. -Andrew-

Betsy R. Gruba <betsy@...>

Tom has said it best. I am one of those AT people who do contract work for state agencies and I have done a couple of placements at insurance agencies in the last year with JFW. and both have had a web interface to get into the system and then scripts were written to access the necessary fields. Good luck with your interview.

Dr. Betsy Gruba

On Feb 14, 2014, at 3:22 PM, "Michael Mote" <miketmote73@...> wrote:
Eo
Dean is absolutely right heresies it. Their interface may be accessible to you, if

individual said below:

"Thank you for your question. Our system is IBM based AS400. It is
programmed internally, and it is not windows based. I do not know if JAWS
will work with our environment. I can check into it, however, and let you
know."

Does the IBM AS400 set up work with JAWS? I am not technically savvy,
programming language and what not, so what he said was greek to me.
Any additional information would be greatly appreciated as to the
accessibility of their set-up. If you have anything that would be helpful
for me to pass along in subsequent conversations, please feel free to share.
Thank you in advance. -Andrew-

Andrew Diederick

Hello,

Thank you very much Dean, Tom, Michael and Betsy for replying to
my post. The information you have given me is more than I have
received to this point. I need to give you all some background in
order for you to be able to direct me more specifically I guess. I
have my undergrad in accounting and I am currently getting my masters
at my four year college institution. I would much rather table this
work and gain some job experience. I am a jaws user and have been for
the last 11 years. I do not consider myself a novis with JAWS but I am
no expert either. I am working with my North Dakota Vocational
Rehabilitation agency currently. I would like to get out of this
Ice-Box and into a warmer weather climate year-round. The position I
speak of is in Arizona; specifically Phoenix. I have no accessibility
contacts or state agencies I am currently working with in AZ. How
would one coordinate an effort like I have previously discussed over
multiple state jurestictions? I have know experience in the scripting
of things to make them accessible; I just use the product as it serves
my needs. I am legally and totally blind. I have been looking to find
work since the completion of my undergrad in December of 2012. I was
involved in a chemical accident that rendered me completely blind
instantly back in 2001. I regained medical stability and have since
returned back to earn my degree and continue with my masters
coursework. No one wants to hire a blind individual with an accounting
degree with no job experience since his last job, 13 years ago; where
my injury occurred. I am motivated and hopeful though and I am willing
to move anywhere, hopefully warmer than where I currently reside, and
do just about anything that I can, provided it is accessible, in an
effort to show people I can do things and work my way up. My previous
work experience was in customer service, so this life insurance
customer service position I speak of is very interesting to me. I'm
just not sure what the next step to take is. Any other words of wisdom
you might have to share would be great. I have learned a lot about
jaws and others through these forums. Thank you in advance. If you
wish to contact me off list, you can do so as well at
Andrew.diederick@....