Accessing Excel Spreadsheet In Protected View

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I just received an e-mail with an Excel spreadsheet that I cannot seem to
access with Jaws.

When I shift-tab to get to the attachment file list, Jaws stops speaking, so
I can't tell where the attachment actually is.

My sighted wife tells me that the file in question is attached to the
e-mail, but is in a view-only mode, and that you have to double-click on it
to open it up in edit mode.

I'd like to be able to fix this issue not just for this particular file, but
for any Excel Spreadsheet file I receive via e-mail if possible.

I'm currently using Jaws 14, Windows 7, and office 2010 on this computer.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Feliciano G

Hello,
You can unprotect a MS-document individually by opening the document whether it's MS-word, MS-Excel Etc... By hitting ALT to get to the menu bar then once the file menu opens, look for the info tab and hit enter Then you can look for enable editing and hit enter. Now if you want to unprotect documents automatically, on the info tab, look for protected view setting and hit enter on there. Then you can choose which ever sources you want MS to open protected documents from unprotecting automatically.
Best regard, Feliciano

I just received an e-mail with an Excel spreadsheet that I cannot seem to
access with Jaws.

When I shift-tab to get to the attachment file list, Jaws stops speaking, so
I can't tell where the attachment actually is.

My sighted wife tells me that the file in question is attached to the
e-mail, but is in a view-only mode, and that you have to double-click on it
to open it up in edit mode.

I'd like to be able to fix this issue not just for this particular file, but
for any Excel Spreadsheet file I receive via e-mail if possible.

I'm currently using Jaws 14, Windows 7, and office 2010 on this computer.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Adrian Spratt

This is good information. To simplify the task of opening an individual protected file, just press the following key sequence:

1. ALT+F to open the File tab
2. I to activate the Info tab
3. E to activate the Enable Editing button

Note. Removing protected status implies exposing your system to an increased security risk. You'll need to be confident about the source of any protected files you open in this way.

I just received an e-mail with an Excel spreadsheet that I cannot seem to
access with Jaws.

When I shift-tab to get to the attachment file list, Jaws stops speaking, so
I can't tell where the attachment actually is.

My sighted wife tells me that the file in question is attached to the
e-mail, but is in a view-only mode, and that you have to double-click on it
to open it up in edit mode.

I'd like to be able to fix this issue not just for this particular file, but
for any Excel Spreadsheet file I receive via e-mail if possible.

I'm currently using Jaws 14, Windows 7, and office 2010 on this computer.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Dean Martineau <dean@...>

For best results, open the protected attachment in Excel.
Go to Options with alt+f, t. You may have to hit this combination as three
keystrokes rather than two.

Press End to get to the bottom category, Trust Center Settings.

Tab five times to Trust Center Settings and press space to open it.

Arrow to Protected View settings. Tab and uncheck all the undesired
protection, especially Files from Outlook Attachments.

Affirmatively exit the dialogs and you should have much better luck next
time.

Dean