From: bruce davis
To: jfw@...
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:43 PM
Subject: learn how to use powered DVD with Jaws

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like
listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered
DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Okay. The JAWS cursor is very important here. When the program opens, right click, and you'll here "show-hide Controls." Locking the JAWS and PC cursors together will allow you to see the various control categories. Make sure they're all checked.

Next, take a look at what the individual controls are. Right click again, only this time keep the JAWS and PC cursors separated as you normally would. Also, make sure you're in Classic Mode, rather than the far more restricted Cinema Mode. The latter omits several potentially important audio and video settings you might want to change. Help says the Classic and Cinema tabs are on the scroll bar at the top. You won't see them, but, if you ever need to change modes, use Ctrl-Home to get to the top of the screen, tab over once, and hit Enter. That should do it. I think classic is the default, so, if you're lucky, you may never have to perform this operation.

Speaking of settings, this is the name of one of the controls, and here you may require sighted help. Some of these settings can greatly enhance usability, such as having the movie pick up where you left off, rather than start the whole thing over again every time and try to find your place.

I also recommend consulting the Help file.

Ted

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Petro T. Giannakopoulos <petrogia@...>

Can you explain how to do when you say,
Locking the JAWS and PC cursors together
What are the keystrokes?

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I should have use the term "JAWS will follow PC." You've probably done this a time or two. The combination is ctrl-JAWS-JAWS cursor. The PC will say "JAWS will follow PC. Unhook them by using the same combination, at which point the PC will say "JAWS will not follow PC."

Ted

Locking the JAWS and PC cursors together What are the keystrokes?

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Petro T. Giannakopoulos <petrogia@...>

Ok. Are you saying the keystroke is
ctrl insert minus on the numeric keypad.

I should have use the term "JAWS will follow PC." You've probably done this a time or two. The combination is ctrl-JAWS-JAWS cursor. The PC will say "JAWS will follow PC. Unhook them by using the same combination, at which point the PC will say "JAWS will not follow PC."

Ted

Locking the JAWS and PC cursors together What are the keystrokes?

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Petro T. Giannakopoulos <petrogia@...>

Hi
Yes it is ctrl insert numpad minus on the numeric keypad as I did a test using insert number row 1 and pressed this keystroke combo to be sure.
To be honest I never have used this keystroke here.

I should have use the term "JAWS will follow PC." You've probably done this a time or two. The combination is ctrl-JAWS-JAWS cursor. The PC will say "JAWS will follow PC. Unhook them by using the same combination, at which point the PC will say "JAWS will not follow PC."

Ted

Locking the JAWS and PC cursors together What are the keystrokes?

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Yes. Remember, that's mostly useful for checking your control categories; I think there are four of them. Just make sure they all appear checked. By the way, I did this with JAWS 14. Now that my home computer project is shaping up, I'll probably do the upgrade soon.

Ted

Ted

ctrl insert minus on the numeric keypad.

I should have use the term "JAWS will follow PC." You've probably done this a time or two. The combination is ctrl-JAWS-JAWS cursor. The PC will say "JAWS will follow PC. Unhook them by using the same combination, at which point the PC will say "JAWS will not follow PC."

Ted

Locking the JAWS and PC cursors together What are the keystrokes?

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Gary King

In addition to what Ted has said, you can use the Applications key to bring up a menu of choices including Play, Pause, Stop, etc. The Go To submenu for DVD navigation and the Language submenu for selecting the appropriate language track are also reached from this menu. If the DVD has Audio Description, it may be displayed as English 2 in the Language submenu. Actually, on the "Zero Dark Thirty" Wide Screen Edition DVD I purchased, the Audio Description track was shown as English 3. I haven't checked out English 2 yet.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Hey, Gary, I think I like your way better. The blurays I was looking at have 4 audio choices, and one through 3 seem identical. The narrative portion (they're railroad videos) appears on 4 if you make any headway with that Settings menu, give a shout.

Ted

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening
to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please
reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Dave...

Very good stuff, Ted and Gary! I've got to start using Power DVD and explore
the alternate language options. Do these descriptive audio go through the
same channels and sound output as the actual movie audio track?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening
to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please
reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Dave, that would mostly depend upon how your disk was mastered. I've never gone beyond a two-channel system, but I suppose a SAP track could occupy a surround channel.

Ted

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening
to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please
reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Yes, that worked for me too, after a fashion. However, seems Power DVD has issues with another app, or another app has issues with it. That's a nonJAWS matter, but I'd like to sound you out off list.

Ted

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like listening
to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered DVD. Please
reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail)

I find CCCP, Combined Community Codec Pack to be very accessible!
This player is free and supports many file formats and Codec's!
Just do a Google for
Combined Community Codec Pack

Name:
Mr. Jonas Voll
Email:

Web site:
www.AccessTelevision.tv
YouTube:
FaceBook:
Twitter:

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like
listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered
DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

How does it do on Blu-ray? Even with the discoveries of recent days, Power DVD is proving to be a real pain in the neck. most of the time the controls don't even respond. One thing I really like, though, is the resume feature, every player should have this, just as hardware players do. Who wants to start a movie over every time you have to end a session and go do something else! What has shocked me most is that, with a little more work, the recent WMP could be a real contender. Movies are still tricky. Starting them on their own can be a challenge, but, when chosen through Autoplay, WMP comes right up. If what was said on the list recently is accurate, the changes in JAWS have no doubt helped here, as JFW has changed its approach to video. Wonder why WMP doesn't support HD disks after all this time. Of course, there's also some unpredictability; a disk will play well in one package, and poorly or not at all in another.

Those who want to stick with Power DVD may want to consider disabling Autoplay, at least temporarily. Control Panel now makes this an easy job, requiring no manual hacking of the registry.

Ted

Yes, that worked for me too, after a fashion. However, seems Power DVD has issues with another app, or another app has issues with it. That's a nonJAWS matter, but I'd like to sound you out off list.

Ted

I am trying to find out how to use Powered DVD with jaws. I like
listening to movies on my computer & I am having trouble using Powered
DVD. Please reply.
Sincerely Yours,
Bruce Davis

Steve & Shannon Cook <cookcafe@...>

Hi All,

I have a friend that uses magnification on his computer. Does anyone know
of an Email list for magnification software? Thanks in advance!