JAWS 15 and Virtual Ribbons

dan Kerstetter <dhk55@...>

Hello all.

I'm having trouble getting the virtual ribbon to work in Outlook 2007 with
JAWS 15. I had trouble getting it to work in word. I had to play around
with collapsing and expanding the ribbon a few times; however, the same
strategy isn't working for outlook.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

Dave...

Dan,
My recommendation is to forget all about the virtual ribbon, and become proficient with the ribbon. In the long run it will be beneficial. That is what I have found.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my iPhone using the handwriting feature.

On Dec 18, 2013, at 8:52, "dan Kerstetter" <dhk55@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello all.

I'm having trouble getting the virtual ribbon to work in Outlook 2007 with
JAWS 15. I had trouble getting it to work in word. I had to play around
with collapsing and expanding the ribbon a few times; however, the same
strategy isn't working for outlook.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Ditto to Dave's reccomendation, you will be glad in the long run,using the ribbon.

My recommendation is to forget all about the virtual ribbon, and become proficient with the ribbon. In the long run it will be beneficial. That is what I have found.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my iPhone using the handwriting feature.

On Dec 18, 2013, at 8:52, "dan Kerstetter" <dhk55@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello all.

I'm having trouble getting the virtual ribbon to work in Outlook 2007 with
JAWS 15. I had trouble getting it to work in word. I had to play around
with collapsing and expanding the ribbon a few times; however, the same
strategy isn't working for outlook.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

---

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

And some of the better training I've seen comes from our own li'l ole HJ. I think it came out with JAWS 10.

Ditto to Dave's reccomendation, you will be glad in the long run,using the ribbon.

My recommendation is to forget all about the virtual ribbon, and become proficient with the ribbon. In the long run it will be beneficial. That is what I have found.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my iPhone using the handwriting feature.

On Dec 18, 2013, at 8:52, "dan Kerstetter" <dhk55@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello all.

I'm having trouble getting the virtual ribbon to work in Outlook 2007 with JAWS 15. I had trouble getting it to work in word. I had to play around with collapsing and expanding the ribbon a few times; however, the same strategy isn't working for outlook.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

---

Jean <jemenzies@...>

Rather a dumb question, but I don't understand the difference between the virtual ribbon and the ribbon. Can you please explain?

[...]

Mario

virtual ribbons is a JAWS method to allow a user to use menu style commands
rather than the ribbons in newer Windows programs. hth

[...]

protection is active.

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Jean,
It is not a dumb question 12 months ago I had no idea either, and perhaps I still don't, lol. When using the virtual ribbon one arrows around through the various menus to find the item one wants to click on, the advantage being one is able to see what is available. For example if you want to change a font, you press alt h to go to the home menu, and tab down to font using virtual ribbons. Using the ribbon to find font ,however, just press control shift f, . In the ribbon one has the use of quick keys, so once you learn the combination of keys required for a particular task it is much quicker to click on. The ribbon may take a little more effort to begin with, but I found it to be worth it, but that is only my opinion.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

[...]

The virtual ribbon, which is part of JAWS and not Microsoft, attempts to
emulate the old familiar menus we used before the ribbons came out. Problem
I have with them is that first-letter navigation no longer works.

Given that the ribbons are here to stay, it's better for me to just learn
how to work with them and move on.

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net

[...]

Adrian Spratt

To elaborate on one of your points, Kevin, the shortcuts familiar to long-time users of Word, such as Jean, still work in MS applications that have migrated to the ribbon.

I rarely need to use the ribbon. Often when I do, there is a quick way of getting where I need by pressing letters (usually first letters) assigned to various functions. When that fails, it is much simpler than I'd expected to move around the ribbon with the tab and arrow keys. Really, the ribbon is just a much more elaborate version of the file menus we all came to appreciate.

As Dave Carlson says in another post, FS's virtual ribbon does not permit first-letter navigation, although another lister has posted that the old shortcuts (control-f for font, control-p for printer, etc.) still work there. For me, the main objection to the virtual ribbon, although I commend FS for attempting to improve the accessibility of MS's ribbon that many of us thought would be daunting, is that it bears little or no resemblance to how the rest of the world manages MS Office applications. Sighted colleagues and friends have solved many of my ribbon problems, which they could do only because I am using the same system. In addition, when working side by side with sighted computer users, it is essential that we be sharing the same screen. Ironically, early versions of JAWS made this sharing difficult, and one of FS's accomplishments over the years has been to make what we experience practically the same as what sighted people see on the screen.

For all these reasons, I would discourage use of the virtual ribbon.

[...]

Adrian,

Well put. You are more eloquent than me.

[...]

Hello Adrian,
For a new comer to Jaws your comments are enlightening, thank you.
Kevin Hourigan.

[...]

Thanks, Kevin. That didn't dawn on me. I should've figured that out. But I do appreciate your explanation. I'm going to take the challenge and turn off Virtual Ribbons. And that explains why hot keys never have worked for me. I now know that they only work with the Ribbon, not with the Virtual Ribbon. Thanks much.

[...]

The documentation doesn't tell you this, but virtual ribbon can be varied by application, just in case you ever find it useful.

Ted

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

How do you vary the Virtual Ribbon setting by application, since it must be set to on or off in the default configuration?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 9193 (20131219) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 9193 (20131219) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tony Schnurr

Hit insert plus v while in the application where you want to make the change. Look for the virtual ribbons setting and check it or uncheck it as you would like.
Regards
Tony

Sent from my iPhone

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)" <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov>
[...]

I see your point; however, if I'm typing a document and need to make time,
I'll take whatever shortcuts I can get. This I learned from working 25
years in word processing and being under a deadline.

Just my two cents worth.

Dan

[...]

Ah, but there's the rub; does virtual ribbon save time, or waste it? Guess it depends on the user.

[...]

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

Although the ribbons (actual ribbons) are different, in some ways
they can be a little easier. For instance, the Quick Access
Toolbar lets you put frequently used commands that are otherwise
awkward on the QAT. So, for instance, to insert an automatic
cross-reference, I can hit Alt plus 1. To go to the next revision
in a track change document, I just hit Alt plus 3.
For the others, with a little memorization, the ribbon methodology
actually has some logic. So, to switch displays from "Final" to
"Final showing mark-up" (just to pick a couple of examples, I just
hit Alt and then R,T, D. To accept all changes in a document, it
is Alt and then R,A, D.
To insert a file in Outlook 2010, it is Alt and then N (for
insert) and then A, F (for insert a file).
So, the ribbons are not all just sighted trip trap. There is an
obscure logic to them, though the logic is a little easier (in
most instances) to see in Word than in Outlook.
Remember to use the QAT for those often-used, but awkward, key
sequences. Once you have navigated to it, just hit the
applications key and select, from the resulting menu, "Assign to
the QAT."
.

wrote:

Hello all.

I'm having trouble getting the virtual ribbon to work in Outlook
2007 with
JAWS 15. I had trouble getting it to work in word. I had to play
around
with collapsing and expanding the ribbon a few times; however, the
same
strategy isn't working for outlook.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus
protection is active.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus
protection is active.

Sharon

How do you learn all the shortcuts to use?
Sharon

wrote:

Hello all.

I'm having trouble getting the virtual ribbon to work in Outlook
2007 with
JAWS 15. I had trouble getting it to work in word. I had to play
around
with collapsing and expanding the ribbon a few times; however, the
same
strategy isn't working for outlook.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus
protection is active.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus
protection is active.

Adrian Spratt

I suggest you Google keyboard shortcuts for the version of Word you use.