jaws 15 and windows 8.1

louise peyton

Hi, listers:
I use Jaws 15 and plan to ditch Windows xp soon. How well does Jaws 15 work with Windows 8.1? I'm wondering about how much of a learning curve there is with version 15 and Windows 8.1. Should I move up to Windows 8.1 or go instead with Windows 7? I need and appreciate your input. Thanks.
Louise Peyton

Brad Martin

I'm not the best person to answer this. I've never tried using JAWS with Windows 8.anything. However, I was in a computer lab full of sighted people teaching taxes the other day, and they were having trouble with Windows 8; and they could see it. I definitely got the sense the curve was more like a roller coaster.

I can only tell you that the learning curve with Windows 7 exists, but it's not bad. I'm having a little more trouble getting used to the newer office programs and even WordPad with the ribbons. But with JAWS 15, Windows 7 hasn't been a huge leap. If you need help finding Windows 7 machines, feel free to let me know; please include whether you have JAWS Professional and can use a professional version of Windows, or whether you'd need Windows 7 Home Premium instead. Computers with Pro preinstalled are easier to find, but Home Premium machines are available if you know where to look. I'd also need to know if you were seeking a laptop, desktop, or all-in-one.

Brad

On 12/16/2013 7:14 PM, louise peyton wrote:
Hi, listers:
I use Jaws 15 and plan to ditch Windows xp soon. How well does Jaws 15 work with Windows 8.1? I'm wondering about how much of a learning curve there is with version 15 and Windows 8.1. Should I move up to Windows 8.1 or go instead with Windows 7? I need and appreciate your input. Thanks.
Louise Peyton

Michael Boyd <mikeboyd61@...>

Hello Louise,

Your biggest hill to climb is definitely going to be learning Windows 8.1. With the start screen and no start menu, it looks and feels quite different from earlier versions of Windows, especially XP. The ribbon tabs, which have replaced many of the menus that you are used to are a bit more complicated, although, once you play around with them for a while, one begins to learn where to find the things most used. As for JAWS 15, you should not have much trouble adjusting to it. It is really designed for Windows 8 and 8.1, and for touch screen capabilities, but works well with non touch PCs. There comes a time for all of us when one has to venture out into the deep waters, and I guess this is one of those times for you. Good luck in your venture.

hth,
Mike
Your biggest hill is going to be learning Windows

From: "louise peyton" <lp2473@...>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:14:10 -0500
Size: 2546

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

Been using Windows 8 for over a year. I'm hesitant to go to
Windows 8.1. I suppose if it is already loaded, that might be OK.
I've heard too many people, however, who have tried to update
their systems from Windows 8 to 8.1 only to find that they had to
install all their software all over again.
I cannot afford that kind of disaster.
As far as Windows 8 is concerned, unless you are a Start Menu
junkie, I have seen little difference. In fact, there seem to be
more truly functional keyboard commands.
If you operate from your desktop mostly (and I do), then the
transition from XP shouldn't be a big deal. Do check around for
podcasts on the subject. There is a particularly good one from, I
think, Vision Australia, but I'm going from memory, and I listened
to it about a year ago.

I use Jaws 15 and plan to ditch Windows xp soon. How well does
Jaws 15 work with Windows 8.1? I'm wondering about how much of a
learning curve there is with version 15 and Windows 8.1. Should I
move up to Windows 8.1 or go instead with Windows 7? I need and
appreciate your input. Thanks.
Louise Peyton

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>

I agree. I'm not sure why allot of people are so unhappy with windows8. Its nice and the new settings pains and the new refresh and reset options are just to our advantage.

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Dec 2013, at 6:23 AM, "Ed Marquette" <marquette.ed@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Coe

Hi,

I will wait until the next version of Windows 9 or 10 is released. By that
time all bugs experienced in Win 8 should have been resolved.

Charles

I use Jaws 15 and plan to ditch Windows xp soon. How well does Jaws 15 work
with Windows 8.1? I'm wondering about how much of a learning curve there is
with version 15 and Windows 8.1. Should I move up to Windows 8.1 or go
instead with Windows 7? I need and appreciate your input. Thanks.
Louise Peyton

Jimmy Jones

Unless you are going to use a touch screen I would go with Seven

Opinions on Windows Eight seem to range from it's the worse o/s ever. To It
wonderful and is the greatest o/s since the beginning of computers.

Jimmy Jones.

I use Jaws 15 and plan to ditch Windows xp soon. How well does Jaws 15 work
with Windows 8.1? I'm wondering about how much of a learning curve there is
with version 15 and Windows 8.1. Should I move up to Windows 8.1 or go
instead with Windows 7? I need and appreciate your input. Thanks.
Louise Peyton

Dave Durber

Charles:

If you really believe what you wrote in your post, then you better hope for a month of Sundays. Hehehehehehehehe! Because, while Microsoft, hopefully might correct some of the problems in Windows 8, they are guaranteed to create even more in subsequent versions of Windows.

Sincerely:

Dave durber