From: "Dave "Farfar" Carlson" <dgcarlson@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:35 PM
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Subject: Audio Description

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description". Anyone
tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

It did nothing for me...

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description". Anyone
tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Richard Holloway

My daughter loves Audio Description and it is becoming much more available, though that fact is not well publicized.

Our whole family now goes to the movies quite often and my blind daughter feels very much included with this service. Particularly many Regal theaters show nearly every film with DVS available-- you just request a headset. (Always check first because a few of their films still don't offer the service.) Do remind them that you need the setup for the BLIND (Your white cane may not be a big enough clue.) Quite often they first give us a headset which makes the program LOUDER for the hearing impaired. The only difference is a simple setting change.

Much More TV is running with DVS available these days as well, especially on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, USA, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, TNT and TBS. We found a bunch of Described Christmas shows to share with my daughter this season, including the Original Grinch Cartoon, plus The old "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", all from the late 60's / early 70's, as well as some newer pieces like "Frosty Returns", and "Yes, Virginia". Note that CBS ran most of these (The Grinch was on TBS) and even their publicized list of DVS titles didn't show these Christmas shows. It is VERY likely they will run these again next year with DVS on CBS, so check, even if they don't post them as audio described!

There are upcoming shows with DVS including the Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard from "Star Trek") version of "A Christmas Carol" on TNT, and the 24-hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve / Christmas Day on TBS will also run described. Various popular series ranging from NCIS to The Simpsons also run described in many TV markets, and the list will be growing each year.

If you like DVD's, there are lots of described titles too. Over 300 have been released in the last 10 years and currently they seem to release around 70 or 80 new titles each year.

For more info on audio description, here is a great site:
http://www.acb.org/adp/

For more info on DVS in theaters and Movie Schedules, try Caption Fish. Unfortunately, Captionfish has a filter you need to use which may mot be entirely accessible. The site's key focus is open and closed captioning. I just checked and found 93 screens running with audio description available (every showtime) within 30 miles of my house, if that gives you some idea of how much more DVS there is available lately.

Here is the Captionfish address:
http://www.captionfish.com/

Regal also has a listing of available titles with DVS here:
http://www.regmovies.com/Theatres/Captioning-and-Descriptive-Video

Sorry for the off-JAWS-topic response, but hopefully some not aware of some DVS options will benefit.

If you want to discuss further I'm happy to help off-list. No guarantees I'll have an answer, but if I do, I'm glad to share.

Happy Holidays!

Richard

On Dec 14, 2013, at 10:57 PM, Michael Boyd wrote:

Hi Dave,

That's really strange. I just got a reply from my local movie theater confirming to me that they have audio discription available in their theater. So, now I am going to start seeing a new realese now and again.

I am not sure about the audio description in the Ease of Access Center, but it sound like that might be just what it is. I have never noticed it there before. Although it is becoming more prevalent these days, audio description, like closed captioning, is not available on all movies, but movies that do not have it are becoming more a thing of the past. I am going to try it out on my computer though. I have lots of movies, and surely some of them have audio description available on them. Thanks for pointing this find out.

Mike

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description". Anyone
tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

I just got back from an evening out where I used the descriptive video
service for the second Hobbit movie, and I'm very pleased with it.
I don't know what this check box is, but I can speculate. All providers of
content via broadcast during primetime hours and any content streamed on the
web is in the process of being set up for descriptive services thanks to new
legislation that requires that this be in place by September of 2014. I
suspect this is to activate that feature for things that are webcast.

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the
JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description".
Anyone tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician,
and woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Adrian Spratt

I find the following on a Microsoft website explaining the ease of access center:

* Turn on Audio Description. This option sets Audio Description to run when you log on to Windows. Audio descriptions describe what's happening in videos.

The webpage is at:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/use-the-computer-without-a-display-optimize-for-blindness

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the
JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description".
Anyone tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician,
and woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Gary King

Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to tell if a particular DVD has Audio Description. I've looked at both "Zero Dark 30" and "Argo" on Amazon, and neither of these movies mention Audio Description in the given information. I also looked for a mention of an alternate English track which is often an indication that Audio Description is present on a DVD, but I didn't find one. Both of these movies are shown with Audio Description in properly equipped theaters.

I read that Blu-ray versions of movies are more likely to have Audio Description than are regular DVD versions. This was true with Avatar. I had to buy an external Blu-ray player to play it because the DVD version in the package didn't have an Audio Description track.

I'll check the site in the message below to see if I can learn anything new.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description". Anyone
tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Jennifer Aberdeen <freespirit328@...>

Is this for just DVD's that I have or does it work for online movies such as instant videos from Amazon?

While browsing the Ease of Access Center, in the same area as the
JAVA
Access Bridge, I found a checkbox for "Turn on audio description".
Anyone tried using it? I presume it's for videos?

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician,
and woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

---

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

For what it's worth, I've seen 2 in my years of playing with DVD's. I've seen plenty that could use it, but did not have it. When available, it's an option on the audio menu, similar to commentaries, foreign languages, 2-5.1 channels, Etc.

Ted