With Win7 pro do I need a pro version of JFW ?

Marion Woods <marion_woods38@...>

Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

cecropia64

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.

On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Michael Boyd <mikeboyd61@...>

Sorry, but I have ran the standard versions of JAWS with Windows 7 Pro Since Windows 7 came out, and I now am running Windows 8.1 Pro with JAWS 14 Standard. It works great.

HTH,
Mike

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Gary King

Mike,
If you are running the standard version of JAWS with Pro versions of Windows, there is obviously a bug in the authorization scheme used by FS. I'm sure you have informed FS about this bug so that they can correct the problem and supply you with the proper version of JAWS. Of course, you will be charged a modest fee to upgrade to JAWS Pro plus the increased cost of an SMA. I'm sure you'll feel much better once you are paying through the nose like other JAWS Pro users!

Gary King
w4wkz@...

Sorry, but I have ran the standard versions of JAWS with Windows 7 Pro Since Windows 7 came out, and I now am running Windows 8.1 Pro with JAWS 14 Standard. It works great.

HTH,
Mike

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

cecropia64

Well, that's news to me because jaws 9 wouldn't run with windows xp pro. Freedom made me upgrade to a pro license in order to get it to run. Did I get screwed by them, maybe yes and maybe no.

On 11/22/2013 5:10 PM, Michael Boyd wrote:

Sorry, but I have ran the standard versions of JAWS with Windows 7 Pro Since Windows 7 came out, and I now am running Windows 8.1 Pro with JAWS 14 Standard. It works great.

HTH,
Mike

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Gary King

I'm sure that most JAWS Pro users think they are suffering that particular indignity anyway. However, you said in your message that JAWS 9 Standard wouldn't run with XP Pro. Since this is the correct JAWS behavior, the authorization scheme was working properly at that time. If a bug has developed in the authorization that allows JAWS Standard to work with Pro versions of Windows, I'm sure that FS will squash it quickly. They love all that JAWS Pro money rolling in.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

cecropia64

Let's hope that is the case because I kind of had sticker shock after this happened. I was ignorant enough to not realize that the only difference between the versions is the license. Freedom doesn't tell you this and they get you good. Oh well, now I'm prepared for just about anything. Especially since I just upgraded to jaws 15.0. Thanks for making me feel alittle better. I didn't think I was going nuts when that other guy said one didn't need pro to run under windows pro.

----- Original Message ----- From: <cecropia64@...>

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Doris and Chris

This actually depends on the country you live in The last I heard, here the health insurance pays for private jaws and the pro license is given so that any operating system supported can be installed.

hth

Doris

At 08:56 PM 11/22/2013 -0500, you wrote:
[...]

Just curious, where are you located? Sounds like a real good deal since the price of the license for pro is much higher.

Stewart

On 11/22/2013 10:41 PM, Doris and Chris wrote:
[...]

Angel

That is one of the reasons for the high cost of both versions of Jaws for those who pay for it ourselves, and the lesser costs of other screen readers. Because, always there are rehabilitation agencies, or governments paying for the product. So, it doesn't matter to the providers what they charge. As long as someone with deep pockets is picking up the freight.

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Doris and Chris

It is a good thing then, Ms. Angel, that I am not contributing to this as I have come to use nvda almost full time and never enjoyed the aforementioned blessing for things were different just a few years ago still with jaws basic available only for the "home" versions of windows just as in other parts of the world.

hth

Doris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doris and Chris" <chipmunks@...>

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Dave Durber

Garry:

I wonder, when mike purchased his JAWS license, whether someone at FS inadvertantly gave him a Professional license instead of a standard license, because, in the JAWS ABout dialog window, It does not tell you whether you are using a Standard or Professional version of JAWS.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Mike:

Did you purchase your licensed copy of JAWS out of your own pocket or, did you get it through an agency or some other source which bought it for you?

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Sorry, but I have ran the standard versions of JAWS with Windows 7 Pro Since Windows 7 came out, and I now am running Windows 8.1 Pro with JAWS 14 Standard. It works great.

HTH,
Mike

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

cecropia64

Unfortunately, here in the U.S., it doesn't work olike that. I sure wish it did though.

Stewart

On 11/23/2013 3:02 AM, Doris and Chris wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and Freedom Scientific usually won't tell you that you need another license to run Windows pro versions until after you ask. Personally, I think it's a scam. Most other programs out there don't give a "BEEP" if you're using a pro version of windows or not. That's just not fair to the user. Considering the fact that the license is the only real difference. I know, the pro version works with more versions of Windows, but they do this on purpose. Not right!

Stewart

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@...>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Boyd" <mikeboyd61@...>
Sorry, but I have ran the standard versions of JAWS with Windows 7 Pro Since Windows 7 came out, and I now am running Windows 8.1 Pro with JAWS 14 Standard. It works great.

HTH,
Mike

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Lee Maschmeyer

Another thing that is not widely known is that, according to a message from Ted Henter I read a few lifetimes ago, both he and Eric Damery had to mortgage their homes to keep the company going. Let's not get too snide, folks.

No, I don't remember what list and I'm sure somebody's going to pop up and say I'm wrong, but I'm not.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Gary King

Dave,
There doesn't appear to be an easy way to find out what type of license a JAWS user has. The license type isn't mentioned in the About box and doesn't appear on the sleeve that holds the DVD. The About box in my standard version of JAWS states that Remote Access is disabled, but I would bet that the same would be true for a Pro license if the user hadn't forked over the extra $200 to enable Remote Access.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

[...]

The sales people at FS should tell you what version you need for a particular operating system. The online catalog does give you this information; I looked at it last night to make sure that my thinking about requirements was correct. I noticed that Windows 8 wasn't mentioned; someone isn't doing their job at FS updating the catalog.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

Sorry, but I have ran the standard versions of JAWS with Windows 7 Pro Since Windows 7 came out, and I now am running Windows 8.1 Pro with JAWS 14 Standard. It works great.

HTH,
Mike

No, you're going to have to upgrade to jaws pro. Sorry, but I had the same issue. You can run anything with jaws pro but you can only run the home editions of windows with jaws basic.
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Marion Woods wrote:
Hi all have been offered a new PC with Win7 Pro installed, do I need to use a Pro version of the JFW13 or can I use the standard version that I have at the moment?

Marion

Regards,
Michael Boyd
mikeboyd61@...
(985) 856-6135

Michael Boyd <mikeboyd61@...>

Hi Dave,

It, after the initial purchase, came right out of my wallet, I live in Louisiana, a poor state, and there is not much in the way of assistance for the blind or other disabilities here. I have been using JAWS since version 8 and I admit that I never remember FS ever asking me what operating system I was running. After the initial purchase, which I did have some assistance with, they never asked because they just upgraded what I already had at the time. That's it.