Applying Heading Level 1 Style in Word 2010

Marks, Jim

Using Jaws 15 or 14 in MS Word 2010, the keystroke alt+control+1 no longer sets the heading level 1 style. Instead, it brings up the Jaws context menu. For levels 2-4, the heading style keystrokes work just fine. How can I repair this or use an alternative to set heading level 1 styles?

Thanks much in advance!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

Ann Byrne

Can you use the passthrough key, insert+3, and then alt+control+1?

At 11:20 AM 11/8/2013, you wrote:
Using Jaws 15 or 14 in MS Word 2010, the keystroke alt+control+1 no longer sets the heading level 1 style. Instead, it brings up the Jaws context menu. For levels 2-4, the heading style keystrokes work just fine. How can I repair this or use an alternative to set heading level 1 styles?

Thanks much in advance!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

It seems to work fine here with the described software combination.

At 11:20 AM 11/8/2013, you wrote:
Using Jaws 15 or 14 in MS Word 2010, the keystroke alt+control+1 no
longer sets the heading level 1 style. Instead, it brings up the
Jaws context menu. For levels 2-4, the heading style keystrokes
work just fine. How can I repair this or use an alternative to set
heading level 1 styles?

Thanks much in advance!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

Marks, Jim

No, the Jaws pass through key does not change things. It's pretty odd in that it's only level 1 that malfunctions. Levels 2-3 work just fine.

Is a Jaws repair a good idea for this keystroke malfunction? All else works fine.

Thanks!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

At 11:20 AM 11/8/2013, you wrote:
Using Jaws 15 or 14 in MS Word 2010, the keystroke alt+control+1 no
longer sets the heading level 1 style. Instead, it brings up the
Jaws context menu. For levels 2-4, the heading style keystrokes
work just fine. How can I repair this or use an alternative to set
heading level 1 styles?

Thanks much in advance!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Jim,
I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Using Jaws 15 or 14 in MS Word 2010, the keystroke alt+control+1 no longer sets the heading level 1 style. Instead, it brings up the Jaws context menu. For levels 2-4, the heading style keystrokes work just fine. How can I repair this or use an alternative to set heading level 1 styles?

Thanks much in advance!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

---

Marks, Jim

Thank you, this is tremendously helpful. Looks like my installation of MS Word deleted the heading 1 style, which means the issue is not a Jaws issue at all. Now I know how to solve the problem, which is to repair MS Word 2010. This list is wonderful!

------
Jim Marks
jimmarks@mt.gov

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky should
also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Ann Byrne

Press control+shift+s to get to the styles list, and arrow down a couple of times to heading1.

But have you tried rebooting? Alt+control+1 works on my computer with Office 2007 and JAWS 15.

Barbara Anne Bolin <barbaraanne1@...>

A quick way to set text with a heading is:
CTL + ALT + 1 = heading level 1
CTL + ALT + 2 = heading level 2
CTL + ALT + 3 = heading level 3
Pressing JAWS Key + F will verify the heading was set.
You do not have to highlight the data before using the above key strokes.
Everything on that line will be given the requested heading level.

You can increase a heading level with shift + ALT + right arrow.
You can decrease a heading level with shift + ALT + left arrow.

These are WORD keys, not JAWS keys.
They have been extremely useful to me.
Always,
Barbara Anne
BarbaraAnne1@Mac.com

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky should
also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Dave...

Barbara Anne
,

Very nice. It's always good to have shortcuts presented as reminders. I
wonder if the same increase and decrease commands will change outline
levels, as well...
Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky should
also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Dave...

Barbara Anne,

Excellent! I just tried it out on an outline I was struggling with several
weeks ago. If I had only known about these increase/decrease commands, it
would have saved me literally an hour's worth of headache.

Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky should
also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

Just a note -- the styles for headings 1-3 are set in the template, so it's
possible to set more to do this, or in some templates use these keystrokes
for other things. So always verify that it'd doing what you want it to if
you're using a template.

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky
should also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

Barbara Ann is absolutely correct. The template in use, however,
needs to have the heading levels set as desired. They really are
styles. So, if the default headings aren't what you want, modify
the style. Once you have opened the modify style sheet, hit shift
tab to "Format."
Then, hit ENTER. The dialog box gives you choices as to font,
numbering, paragraph alignment, and so on.
If you ever need Heading 4 style, be aware that control plus alt
plus 4 won't work. Instead, press control plus shift plus s for
"styles." Then hit "h" for headings. Arrow down past headings 1,
2, and 3 to heading 4 and press enter. Of course, the same
principle applies for heading 5 and so on.

After you have used a style from the strategy identified above,
the style pane will be open. You may want to get rid of the
styles pane. Just hit F-6 until it comes up, press shift space,
and arrow to "close."
One more thing.
Barbara said the style will apply to the line. Actually, it will
apply to the whole paragraph. So, if you don't want to insert a
carriage return (or a style separator) between the heading style
and the rest of the paragraph (I do this in contracts), Highlight
the part of the paragraph you want in the heading style. Then
apply the style to that part of the paragraph.

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as
well, so making a copy of this and just dropping it in if
something goes wonky should also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S
for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Ian D. Nichols

Hi Barbara Anne,

Thanks for this useful information about setting heading levels.

Now, is there a Windows shortcut key that will remove the heading level
completely? Decreasing the level when it's at level 1 doesn't seem to do
anything.

All the best,

Ian

Ian D. Nichols,
Toronto, Canada

Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky should
also work.

I'm using Windows 7, with Jaws 14, and press control shift S for the
styles dialog then down arrow to Heading 1 or the other options.
Cheers Kevin Hourigan.

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

To remove it, select the heading and press CTRL shift N.

Kimsan Song Access Technology Trainer
1-877-774-7670

www.BlindAccessTraining.com
Twitter: