From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Philip Hall
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:12 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: braille history

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature
called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Philip Hall <p.hall.eml1@...>

According to the help info, using a braille display, one can scroll back
through the last 50 messages spoken and have them displayed on the braille
display.

The new speech history is a take off on that idea, where one can scroll back
through the last 50 messages spoken, and instead of having them displayed,
they can be spoken.

Phil

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature
called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Is speech history one of the coming attractions, "coming soon to a computer near you!"?

According to the help info, using a braille display, one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken and have them displayed on the braille display.

The new speech history is a take off on that idea, where one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken, and instead of having them displayed, they can be spoken.

Phil

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Adrian Spratt

I wonder if this refers to the last item in the quick settings dialog. If so, speech help has been with JAWS for at least two or three versions.

Is speech history one of the coming attractions, "coming soon to a computer near you!"?

According to the help info, using a braille display, one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken and have them displayed on the braille display.

The new speech history is a take off on that idea, where one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken, and instead of having them displayed, they can be spoken.

Phil

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Philip Hall <p.hall.eml1@...>

Yes, it is a "feature"/"bug?" in jaws 15.

Is speech history one of the coming attractions, "coming soon to a computer
near you!"?

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature
called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Lee Maschmeyer

It certainly is not a bug! It comes in rather handy for those of us who run with speech turned off. In very old versions of Jaws and some other devices it used to be called Speech Box Mode.

Phil's description is accurate through Jaws 14 and I don't see what the question is. Exactly how it works in 15 I don't know, not having installed it yet.

In and before Jaws 14 there are four braille modes: Structured, in which you can read an attempted summary of the currently focused item. A feature some people may not know about is that if you use the Braille Prior or Next Line keys you'll get out of the Structured Line and then the display works like Line Mode. This was added several versions ago and is really handy. The PAC Mate display and possibly some Focuses disable this for reasons which are virtually incomprehensible to me. You can fix it in Keyboard Manager.

The other three modes are Line mode, Attributes mode (next to useless but nice to have) and Speech History which lets you read most speech information without having to try to hear and understand it.

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Philip Hall <p.hall.eml1@...>

Hi.
I located the keystroke to turn on braille history mode In jaws 15, the
keystroke for a focus 80 is
M chord from the braille keyboard.

Also in jaws 15,
Speech history is:
Jaws key+ for layered keys, then the letter h.
This opens up a list of the last 50 things that have been spoken.

Press escape to close the history.

Phil

[...]

I've never seen anything like that. Braille options occurs just before Last Changed Settings.

I wonder if this refers to the last item in the quick settings dialog. If so, speech help has been with JAWS for at least two or three versions.

Is speech history one of the coming attractions, "coming soon to a computer near you!"?

According to the help info, using a braille display, one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken and have them displayed on the braille display.

The new speech history is a take off on that idea, where one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken, and instead of having them displayed, they can be spoken.

Phil

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Oh goody gumdrop! Could be useful, if it works.

Yes, it is a "feature"/"bug?" in jaws 15.

Is speech history one of the coming attractions, "coming soon to a computer near you!"?

According to the help info, using a braille display, one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken and have them displayed on the braille display.

The new speech history is a take off on that idea, where one can scroll back through the last 50 messages spoken, and instead of having them displayed, they can be spoken.

Phil

According to the help page for speech history, jaws has always had a feature called braille history mode.

How does one go about enabling it, and using it?

Thanks

Phil

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Oh, sorry. I get it now. This is actually a braille mode. Grandpa was slow, but he was old! I remember the first part of the thread, but thought we were talking about some new speech function.

[...]

I did mention that jaws 15 does have a new feature called speech history.
Phil