Important note for virtualization fans: Never, ever use JFW under a hypervisor such as Hyper-V, VMWare and so forth due to authorization and tandem issues

Hi folks,
Recently, I got a new laptop with plenty of RAM to run multiple guest
OS's as virtual machines under VMWare and Microsoft Hyper-V. After I
authorized JAWS 14 on my laptop, I enabled Hyper-V and tried to use it
to create a virtual hard disk (VHD) for a guest OS. However, after
Windows restarts after enabling Hyper-V, JFW loses ILM authorization
thanks to the fact that Windows is now running on top of Hyper-V
hypervisor. Although I now have a dongle for authorizing JAWS (since
resume from sleep and memory allocation issue came up again), at
times, I find that I may need to use ILM key when running JAWS.
So for those who'd like to experiment with virtualization and running
multiple guests (including running Windows 8 64-bit on top of Hyper-V
or other hypervisors and if the virtualized guest has JFW installed),
please remember to never, ever use JAWS with ILM authorization (you
need a dongle, or you can use JFW in demo mode).
On a related note: you should NOT use "fake" or "virtualized" tandem
sessions (I define fake or virtualized tandem means using two copies
of JFW, with one running inside a VM), especially when using VMWare
Player, as you'll need to go to Windows Lock screen (CTRL+Alt+Delete)
to use keyboard from host when keystrokes are sent to the guest that
doesn't exist (because tandem JFW exited).
For reference, my system specs are:
* OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (host) with Windows XP and Windows 8.1
Preview 32-bit guests.
* JFW version: 14.0.6005.
* CPU: Intel Core I5 4200U, 1.6/2.6 GHz.
* RAM: 16 GB with each guests using 2 GB (Windows XP) and 3 GB
(Windows 8.1 Preview), respectively.
* Hypervisors: Hyper-V (Windows 8 Pro host), two instances of VMWare
Player (one instance per guest).
Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi, is this issue resolved? I do have a dongle since I experiment so much I was running out of keys all the time. :)

Soronel Haetir

With a bare jaws license there is still an issue, even a dongle won't
help that much because it can only connect to one computer at a time
(if you connect it to a guest it will then be virtually disconnected
from the host).

I went with the jaws' remote access option and there is no problem
because the guest simply doesn't need an authorization of its own that
way. Rather than use the virtualization software window I use RDC.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

OK thanks. That makes sense.

On 7/7/2017 7:40 AM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
With a bare jaws license there is still an issue, even a dongle won't
help that much because it can only connect to one computer at a time
(if you connect it to a guest it will then be virtually disconnected
from the host).

I went with the jaws' remote access option and there is no problem
because the guest simply doesn't need an authorization of its own that
way. Rather than use the virtualization software window I use RDC.

On 7/6/17, Randy Barnett <randy@soundtique.net> wrote:
Hi, is this issue resolved? I do have a dongle since I experiment so much I
was running out of keys all the time. :)

Jonas Voll

Well has anyone got audio working in Hypper V?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

On 7/7/2017 7:40 AM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
With a bare jaws license there is still an issue, even a dongle won't
help that much because it can only connect to one computer at a time
(if you connect it to a guest it will then be virtually disconnected
from the host).

I went with the jaws' remote access option and there is no problem
because the guest simply doesn't need an authorization of its own that
way. Rather than use the virtualization software window I use RDC.

On 7/6/17, Randy Barnett <randy@soundtique.net> wrote:
Hi, is this issue resolved? I do have a dongle since I experiment so
much I was running out of keys all the time. :)

If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'

John Covici

Yes, I did get hyperv to work, I was not using jaws at the time. I
think you have to enable advanced console, or some such, I forget the
exact wording.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 12:20:57 -0400,
Jonas Voll wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Soronel Haetir

I haven't gotten HyperV to work at all, I've been stuck in the
install. This is one area where VMWare (at least the paid workstation
version) really shines, what with its ability to drive the installer,
including the license key screen.

Jonas Voll wrote:

Well has anyone got audio working in Hypper V?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the
blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation,
education and research.

under a hypervisor such as Hyper-V, VMWare and so forth due to
authorization and tandem issues

OK thanks. That makes sense.
On 7/7/2017 7:40 AM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
With a bare jaws license there is still an issue, even a dongle won't
help that much because it can only connect to one computer at a time
(if you connect it to a guest it will then be virtually disconnected
from the host).

I went with the jaws' remote access option and there is no problem
because the guest simply doesn't need an authorization of its own that
way. Rather than use the virtualization software window I use RDC.

On 7/6/17, Randy Barnett <randy@soundtique.net> wrote:
Hi, is this issue resolved? I do have a dongle since I experiment so
much I was running out of keys all the time. :)

To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com and logon
with your domain userid and password.
'spam@nospam.envisionus.com'
confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual
or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure,
distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not
authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply
electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original
transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your
computer system.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Jonas Voll

Yes you do, and I did but still no audio!
I found many web sites with the same no audio problem and the fix is to RDP in to the virtual host!
But as you probably all know just hard with out Jaws installed!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

What about hyper v is not workin?
I know you can not have VmWare and hyper V runnin on a Windows 10 on the same OS!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

I have the os up and running but needed sighted help just like installing any other os well except for win 10! :)

Jonas Voll wrote:
[...]

Still working on network and sound...

Jonas Voll wrote:
[...]

Sorry but I don’t know why you need sited help to install your OS!!!!
You can get Windows PE with NVDA and install your OS with no sited assistants!!!!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

I am used to vmware workstation, which is able to get through the
entire install process without sighted assistance. I am not sure if
vmware generates an unattended install script or if it actually
recognizes the screens and does it that way but however it is done it
works very well.

I don't have convenient enough assistance available to bother them
with something so trivial (as I don't actually need guest OS very
often).

It would, however, be nice to use HyperV instead of vmware as HyperV
comes with windows professional.

On 7/7/17, Jonas Voll <jonas.voll@envisionus.com> wrote:
[...]

I did get audio to work withhyper-v. I think you have to enable
something like advanced workstation, advanced console, or something
like that.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 13:51:59 -0400,
Jonas Voll wrote:

[...]

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Can someone please explain what virtualization is, and how to use it? Thanks, Keith

[...]

I was talking about the VM. I know about PE

On 7/7/2017 11:28 AM, Jonas Voll wrote:
[...]

Virtualization is a way to allow something to run on a platform that doesn't
exist yet is made to exist. A bit difficult to explain, so let me give a
concrete example:
Suppose you have a computer that runs Windows 10, and you want to run some
Linux programs on it (say, Orca). The most effective way is partitioning a
drive into multiple partitions, with one reserved for Linux. However, this
requires that you restart your computer and make OS choices when the
computer starts. The other route is using Windows Subsystem for Linux
(Version 1607 64-bit and later), but you can't really run Linux kernel code
on it.
But suppose you can't partition the drive and you have a need to run Linux
system code. Would it be possible to run Linux by "fooling" Linux into
thinking that it's got all the hardware resources it desires? Surprisingly,
yes, and this is where virtualization comes in. Virtualization is a
technique to run multiple software (particularly, operating systems) at once
on the same underlying hardware. This is done with help from the following:
* Virtual machine: a set of software components that allows it to act like a
computer.
* Virtual processor: a physical processor that acts like another processor
(not to be confused with emulation or simulation). When a physical processor
is in a virtualization state, it'll allow multiple operating systems to run
concurrently as though you are using different programs. This is often
possible because Intel, AMD, ARM and many others have added support for this
in recent processors.
* Virtual machine monitor: formal name for "hypervisor". A hypervisor is a
program that allows other system software code to run safely on a computer
(rather,. A virtualized platform). The computer that hosts a hypervisor
(such as Hyper-V) is termed a "host", while "guests" refer to one or more
operating systems that runs inside hypervisors. Certain hypervisors, such as
Microsoft Hyper-V, requires presence of certain hardware features of modern
processors.
* Disk image: a disk image is a file that acts like a physical disk.

As for the discussion at hand: one of the reasons why you should not use
JAWS with ILM authorization on virtual guests is unpredictability of
hardware locking codes. One of the components involved in ILM (Internet
License Manager) is hardware lock code (or a unique fingerprint), and if
this changes (such as when you move to a new VM or reinstall Windows
somehow), the authorization in place becomes invalid. The only viable way to
keep JAWS in a VM authorized is through a dongle.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Wow. Thanks a lot! I thought it had something to do with the virtual viewer in JAWS. Won't be needing this, but the knowledge is good to have.

Is this related to Mac OS being able to run Windows and Windows programs? In that setting, can the MacOS running Windows use the Apple VoiceOver screenreader, or does one need to install JAWS on the Windows side?

Thanks again for a very useful explanation, Keith

[...]

Hi,
If Windows is run as a virtual machine guest under any platform, a
Windows-specific screen reader MUST be used on the guest.
Cheers,
Joseph