(Sorry for the subject line post)

I am new to this listserve and have a dilemma. My dad is 72 and completely blind. He is not or never has been tech savy.... Meaning he has never been on-line, used the internet, email or anything else having to do with a computer!!! He now has decided that he wants to get "connected" so he bought a HP with windows 8 and had the"type to learn" program downloaded. He has spent the past 6 months learning the keyboard and has done well...Now he want's to get started and purchase JAWS. but he is finding out by talking to other JAWS users that Windows 8 is not very compatible with JAWS soooo he is not sure what to do at this point. IS JAWS 14 going to work with Windows 8...especially for someone that is computer illiterate? Keep in mind he has no idea how Windows 7 is different from windows 8 to begin with. Should he get a laptop that already works well with windows 7 thats seems to get better reviews with JAWS users ? All he keeps hearing isWindows 8 and JAWS 14 have so many problems. He is really motivated to move forward with this and I hate to see him lose his interest when he has come so far with learning the keyboard. Any suggestions or comments would be veryhelpful. Thanks so much!!!! Laurie

Sent from Laurie's iPhone

On Jul 11, 2013, at 8:45 PM, "Mike B." <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Hi Laurie,

Would you please resend your message to the list but, please put the message
in the edit / message field & not in the subject field? Please use the
subject field to put a brief explanation as to what the messaage pertains
to, & your questions in the edit / message field. It will make your post a
whole lot easier to read & comprehend, & therefore getting back better
answers to your questions.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
From: Laurie Cremmen
To: jfw@...
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:34 PM
Subject: I am new to this listserve and have a dilemma. My dad is 72
andcompletely blind. He is not or never has been tech savy. He now
hasdecidedthat he wants to get "connected" so he bought a HP with windows 8
andhad the"type to learn" program downloaded. He has spent the past 6
monthslearningthe keyboard and has done well...Now he want's to get started
with JAWSandis finding out by talking to other JAWS users that Windows * is
notverycompatible with JAWS soooo he is not sure what to do at this point.
ISJAWS 14 going to work with Windows ? Keep in mind he has no idea how
awindows 7is different from windows 8 to begin with. Should he get a laptop
thathaswindows& and get the earlier version of JAWS? All he keeps hearing
isWindows* and JAWS 14 have so many problems. He is really motivated to
moveforwardwith this and I hate to see him lose his interest when he has
come sofarwith learning the keyboard. Any suggestions or comments would be
veryhelpful. Thanks so much!!!! La

Lee Maschmeyer

Hi Laurie,

A beautiful message, especially considering the unfortunate mess from before. It reminds me of a line from a Stan freberg record: "Is so good I could kill myself!"

As for the answer, which was posted a bit earlier, Jaws works fine with Windows 8. Study the training materials and you, and he, will be in pretty good shape.

Have fun,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Louise Johnson <herclouise@...>

Hello I use Jaws 14 and Windows 8 and I am a new user. I have learned a lot
in the last few months and it takes time and we always learn something new
each time we use the computer. I did not touch windows 7 that much so I
have learned a lot through windows 8. I hope your father learns a lot and
good luck. Louise and Hawk

andcompletely blind. He is not or never has been tech savy. He now
hasdecidedthat he wants to get "connected" so he bought a HP with
windows 8 andhad the"type to learn" program downloaded. He has spent
the past 6 monthslearningthe keyboard and has done well...Now he
want's to get started with JAWSandis finding out by talking to other
JAWS users that Windows * is notverycompatible with JAWS soooo he is not
sure what to do at this point.
ISJAWS 14 going to work with Windows ? Keep in mind he has no idea how
awindows 7is different from windows 8 to begin with. Should he get a
laptop thathaswindows& and get the earlier version of JAWS? All he
keeps hearing
isWindows* and JAWS 14 have so many problems. He is really motivated
to moveforwardwith this and I hate to see him lose his interest when
he has come sofarwith learning the keyboard. Any suggestions or
comments would be veryhelpful. Thanks so much!!!! La

scrubbed...

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

The entire thing of jaws not being compatible with windows eight is
inaccurate and subjective.
I use jaws 14 on windows 8 and have no problems as it relates to how jaws
works with it.
Of course, I prefer win seven, but to answer the compatibility issue with
win 8 is again, inaccurate...

Kimsan

kimsansong@...

[...]

Laurie <slecrem@...>

Thank you!!!

Sent from Laurie's iPhone

On Jul 11, 2013, at 10:57 PM, "Kimsan" <kimsansong@...> wrote:

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

I used Windows 7 and work, and had Windows 7 on my laptop. In December I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8, and, while it's quite different, I find it very accessible. The more I use Windows 8 the more I like it. It seems to run even snappier on my laptop than Windows 7 did, and Windows 7 ran quite well. My laptop is around 7 years old, so, I was sort of hesitant to install Windows 8 on it, but am very pleased with the performance. As you mentioned, your dad will need Jaws 14 to run Windows 8.

I wish your dad the best of luck! It's so awesome that he's willing to learn new skills!

Russell