From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Mike Mote
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2013 9:49 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support mailing list; Technology list for the Blind
and Vision Impaired
Subject: Help getting into a computer.

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has forgotten
his password to log into his system. He's using Windows Vista, and needs
help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot of experience with this
issue, and was wondering if any of you could help me with a legal way to
either recover or reset his password, or bypass the step, and log into the
system. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Michael Mote

Windows Vista is the operating system.

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has forgotten
his password to log into his system. He's using Windows Vista, and needs
help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot of experience with this
issue, and was wondering if any of you could help me with a legal way to
either recover or reset his password, or bypass the step, and log into the
system. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Bob Moore <ka5eta@...>

I have been told that you can get into the computer by using the OS disk.
After the computer is booted I don't know what you are to do then other than
getting to the C: drive and finding the password folder and deleting the
password. I hope I have not been wrongly informed.

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has forgotten
his password to log into his system. He's using Windows Vista, and needs
help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot of experience with this
issue, and was wondering if any of you could help me with a legal way to
either recover or reset his password, or bypass the step, and log into the
system. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Steve Matzura

The best and most accessible way of doing this that I know is via
Linux and a program called CHNTPW. Luckily, it works on anything from
XP through 7. Don't know about 8, but Vista, which is right there in
the middle, should be OK.

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:48:56 -0500, you wrote:

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has forgotten his password to log into his system. He's using Windows Vista, and needs help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot of experience with this issue, and was wondering if any of you could help me with a legal way to either recover or reset his password, or bypass the step, and log into the system. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Steve Matzura

You have. There is no such thing as a password folder. It's a series
of three files which must be in sync in order for everything to work
correctly. Yes, there are ways to do it usin the install disk, but if
you want to do it yourself and have speech access to the process, the
best way is still Linux.

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 06:39:00 -0500, you wrote:

I have been told that you can get into the computer by using the OS disk.
After the computer is booted I don't know what you are to do then other than
getting to the C: drive and finding the password folder and deleting the
password. I hope I have not been wrongly informed.
Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has forgotten
his password to log into his system. He's using Windows Vista, and needs
help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot of experience with this
issue, and was wondering if any of you could help me with a legal way to
either recover or reset his password, or bypass the step, and log into the
system. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

At the risk of asking a stupid question, will JAWS work under Linux. I think I made some inquiries about that years ago. I know most mainstream apps will work with the help of an add-on. I'm sure many of you know what I'm speaking of, but I can't remember the name right now--Bootcamp?

Ted

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has
forgotten his password to log into his system. He's using Windows
Vista, and needs help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot
of experience with this issue, and was wondering if any of you could
help me with a legal way to either recover or reset his password, or
bypass the step, and log into the system. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
scrubbed...
01306
08/b9f74b97/attachment.html>

Cy Selfridge

Hi, It seems to me that Linux may have some sort of screen reader.
Cy

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has
forgotten his password to log into his system. He's using Windows
Vista, and needs help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot
of experience with this issue, and was wondering if any of you could
help me with a legal way to either recover or reset his password, or
bypass the step, and log into the system. Any help would certainly be
appreciated.
scrubbed...
01306
08/b9f74b97/attachment.html>

Junior Lolley KG4ITD <eagle418@...>

Cy, if it has the screen reader I am thinking about it is called Orca.
I messed with linux for a short while.

Junior Lolley
Amateur radio call KG4ITD
Liberty County Emergency Coordinator
"Be careful how you treat people on your way up because you might meet them
again on your way down!!!"

Hi, It seems to me that Linux may have some sort of screen reader.
Cy

Hello folks. Working with a friend who is a JAWS user, who has
forgotten his password to log into his system. He's using Windows
Vista, and needs help getting into his system. I haven't had a lot
of experience with this issue, and was wondering if any of you could
help me with a legal way to either recover or reset his password, or
bypass the step, and log into the system. Any help would certainly
be
appreciated.
scrubbed...
01306
08/b9f74b97/attachment.html>

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

NO fooling! I guess I'm not totally shocked, as the various flavors are supposed to be ready to roll out of the box, complete with a suite of apps.

[...]

Your question, while not stupid, is, well, a little odd. It's not
called "JAWS for Windows" for nothing, and if you've never heard of
"JAWS for Linux" or "JAWS for OS10" or "JAWS for OpenVMS" for that
matter, it's a pretty good bet that the answer to your question is a
big fat nope.

Now, to answer your and others' questions about Linux accessibility,
it's quite good. There are two screenreaders for it, and it comes
bundled with them both. Orca is the screenreader for the desktop, of
which there are now two. Speakup is the screenreader for console
terminal mode. Orca can also be used in the desktop's terminal window
which is not precisely the same as console terminal mode but which
offers most of the same abilities and capabilities. Seeing as how I'm
straying wildly from the main topic of this list, and before I get the
topic cops on me, I cordially invite you to
http://www.vinuxproject.org where you can learn lots more about
accessible Linux, download and install it for yourself, join a mailing
list, and, in the words of Eric Clapton, find out what it is all
ay-bout.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:58:30 +0000, you wrote:

[...]

Your point about the name is valid, but I'm told a lot of Windows programs are useable under Linux. Besides, my folks always told me you miss out on a lot of things by not asking.

Nonetheless, the link is most appreciated.

Ted