From: "Jack Vanlightly" <jack.vanlightly@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 3:58 PM
Subject: Disable keyboard shortcut in specific application

Hi all,

Is there a way of disabling a Jaws keyboard shortcut in a specific application? There is a shortcut that I want to use in a particular application which clashes with a Jaws keyboard shortcut. There must be a way to tell Jaws to not intercept the shortcut in Application X or Y.

Many thanks
Jack

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8412 (20130604) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8412 (20130604) __________

http://www.eset.com

Jack Vanlightly

Hi Bill,

I always wondered what that was when reviewing the Jaws keyboard shortcuts. Thanks, that works.
Still it would be pretty nice to be able to turn off a keyboard shortcut for a particular application.

Cheers
Jack

On 6/5/2013 1:24 AM, Bill White wrote:
The only way I know to do this is to use the PassThrough key combination of Insert+3 each time you want to use the shortcut.
Bill White billwhite92701@...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Vanlightly" <jack.vanlightly@...>
Is there a way of disabling a Jaws keyboard shortcut in a specific application? There is a shortcut that I want to use in a particular application which clashes with a Jaws keyboard shortcut. There must be a way to tell Jaws to not intercept the shortcut in Application X or Y.

Many thanks
Jack

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8412 (20130604) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8412 (20130604) __________

http://www.eset.com

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Jack,

I have never done this but, you can try going into the Keyboard Manager, tab
1 time into the list of applications, find the application you want to work
with, tab 1 time into the list of keystrokes for that application, & I
think, control + H, is the change keystroke, keystroke while in the list of
keystrokes of the particular application. As I said earlier, I've never
done this so, I would make notes of exactly the before & after changes in
case you need to put things back to the default settings.

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

Is there a way of disabling a Jaws keyboard shortcut in a specific
application? There is a shortcut that I want to use in a particular
application which clashes with a Jaws keyboard shortcut. There must be a
way to tell Jaws to not intercept the shortcut in Application X or Y.

Many thanks
Jack

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

If memory serves, if you assign a keystroke and it's already used, it will
nag and tell you.

Kimsan Song
Access Technology Trainer
www.BlindAccessTraining.com
Toll-free
1-877-774-7670

Is there a way of disabling a Jaws keyboard shortcut in a specific
application? There is a shortcut that I want to use in a particular
application which clashes with a Jaws keyboard shortcut. There must be a
way to tell Jaws to not intercept the shortcut in Application X or Y.

Many thanks
Jack

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

In fact, I'd back up the entire file; that's the surest way I've found to revert.

Is there a way of disabling a Jaws keyboard shortcut in a specific
application? There is a shortcut that I want to use in a particular
application which clashes with a Jaws keyboard shortcut. There must be a
way to tell Jaws to not intercept the shortcut in Application X or Y.

Many thanks
Jack

Jack Vanlightly

Hi Mike,

That is close, but rather than take an application specific shortcut and turn it off. I need to take a global shortcut and turnit off in one specific application. Can the keyboard manager do that? I haven't dared do anything in the keyboard manager before.

Basically I am looking into using iTunes without BlindTunes and the only thing that I cannot do quite trivially is skip forwards and backwards through a track. The iTunes shortcut is Control AT Left/Right Arrow which conflicts with Jaws HTML table navigation.
So I want to be able to tell Jaws to ignore that keyboard shortcut while in iTunes.
Granted pressing Insert 3 first allows me to use it but this makes for alot of key presses to skip an ad in a podcast.
Note that I am a BlindTunes user normally. It's a great script, I'm just looking into how to use iTunes scriptless.
Cheers
Jack

On 6/5/2013 10:24 PM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:
In fact, I'd back up the entire file; that's the surest way I've found to revert.

Is there a way of disabling a Jaws keyboard shortcut in a specific
application? There is a shortcut that I want to use in a particular
application which clashes with a Jaws keyboard shortcut. There must be a
way to tell Jaws to not intercept the shortcut in Application X or Y.

Many thanks
Jack

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Jack. As far as I can tell, you're not trying to turn off a global shortcut. What I understood is that you want to turn off a JAWS shortcut. In my estimation, this would still be a JAWS application keystroke. So you should be able to turn it off in the keyboard manager.
Bill White billwhite92701@...

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8416 (20130605) __________

http://www.eset.com

But wouldn't that turn off that keyboard shortcut everywhere? Evenin Internet Explorer where I might want to use Control Alt Left/Right for HTML table navigation?On 6/6/2013 1:34 AM, Bill White wrote:

[...]

You can create a keyboard file for just one app; just remember to switch to it before you run that app.

Ted