Scanning software

Barbara Corner <bcorner@...>

Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Ariel

Hi,
You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil 1000. Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable. I believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them before buying. Hope this helps,

On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Philip Hall <p.hall.eml1@...>

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000. Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more
affordable. I believe their are trials for all three of them, so you
could try them before buying. Hope this helps,
On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Cy Selfridge

Omnipage Pro is very good and works well with JAWS.
Also, ABBYY Finereader works well and either ABBYY Finereader or Omnipage
Pro are the OCR engines used by Open Book.
Open Book uses one more OCR engine but I can not recall what it is.
Cy

buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Ariel

Hi,
What's the price for either one of them? Thanks,

On 6/2/2013 10:40 AM, Cy Selfridge wrote:
Omnipage Pro is very good and works well with JAWS.
Also, ABBYY Finereader works well and either ABBYY Finereader or Omnipage
Pro are the OCR engines used by Open Book.
Open Book uses one more OCR engine but I can not recall what it is.
Cy

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil 1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable. I
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Cy Selfridge

Ariel,
Give Tiger Direct a call at:
(800) 800-8300
They are pretty helpful and you can get the prices for whatever you need.
I am sorry but I do not know how much for a Windows machine.
Cy

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Ariel

Hi Cy,
Thanks for sending their number. I will definitely give them a call. Very much appreciated,

On 6/2/2013 12:16 PM, Cy Selfridge wrote:
[...]

Dave Durber

Ariel:

Go to Google.com or bing.com, or whichever search engine you like and type in the search edit box, for example:

abby fine reader "for sale"

or

Omni Professional "for sale"

You should get a list of sites selling either program, many of which will have good discounts.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Ariel

Hi Dave,
Thanks very much. I already have Kurzweil from my college, but I was sort of interested in both products. I did look up the price, and you are right. There are pretty good deals. I found both products at $69.99, which is pretty good. What I am wondering now is which one is better? Does anyone know whether there are some podcasts on Abby Fine Reader and Omnipage Pro? I might end up getting either one of them, but I would like to know which product is best. If anyone can let me know, it would be very much appreciate it. Thanks,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ariel" <accessibleknowledge@...>

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Dave Durber

Ariel:

The nice thing I like about ABBY Fine Reader, is that you can scan a document and, have the program automatically open Word and, display the text from the converted scanned images to a formatted Word document on the screen.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Are these programs keyboard controllable? When I send a document to a printer, about the only things I concern myself with are that the printer is turned on and attached. It's been a long time since I've had to futz around with the front panel. However, the main faults I've found with my OEM OCR software over the years have been ease of accessibility (and I don't mean working with JAWS, I mean actually finding and bringing it up), when I'm trying to convert a file already on my hard drive. I managed to convert an old radio owner's manual, but didn't even realize I'd been successful for several months. I found the converted manual one day while looking for something else--really user-friendly, huh? The darn program didn't' even put up a message, saying I'd been successful.

Ted

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more
affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Cy Selfridge

The other things nice about ABBYY Finereader and Omnibook Pro is the price.
$70 or $80 is a whole whale of a lot cheaper than the $900 or so for
OpenBook. (LOLLOLLOL)
Cy

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more
affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Ariel

Wow! That's awesome! I suppose I sort of been looking for such program. Last semester, I had to do a lot of scanning for my class, and I had a lot of trouble with Kurzweil. It wasn't always accurate. I will definitely give Abby Fine Reader a try. It will be really useful since my assignments are all given in paper. Thanks for the info,

On 6/3/2013 9:18 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

.

George B

Yes, and in onmie pro you can when in a doc you can scan to that doc. and it
will open formatted like in m s word, also

wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW
14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

George B

Where do you find onmie pro and abby reader for $70, please.

thanks

wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW
14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Cy Selfridge

Give Tiger Direct a call at:
(800) 800-8300
I believe this is where Ariel found it.
I found the Mac version of Omni Pro for $79 there.
Cy

wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW
14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

George B

How accessable is it with voice over on the mac?

wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with
JFW
14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Cy Selfridge

I don't know and I really can't remember who said they used it.
I suppose I will soon find out though.
Cy

wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with
JFW
14
and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Dave Durber

Ariel:

Do not run away with the idea, that there is an OCR program out there, which wil produce 100% accuracy, 100% of the time, because if you do, you will be very disappointed.

The quality and accuracy of the print; the quality of the paper, especially, how much filler does it contain, are two of the main factors which determine the accuracy of the eventual output.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

You can also go with Omnipage is would be even less expensive.

You could get OpenBook from Freedom Scientific. Then you have Kurzweil
1000.
Lastly, you have DocuScan. You will find that DocuScan is more affordable.
believe their are trials for all three of them, so you could try them
before
buying. Hope this helps, A On 6/2/2013 9:26 AM, Barbara Corner wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR software for me compatible with JFW 14 and
Windows 7? All I need it for is to scan my mail.

thanks!

Bar & Luxy (the Deluxe model of the black lab)

Cy Selfridge

Also, I honestly believe that setting the scanner to black and white only
helps with accuracy.
My ancient HP flatbed scanner was black and white only and it was a lot more
accurate than what I have today.
I have a small portable Cassio USB scanner which does a very good job and is
probably better than my HP all in one jobbie.
Cy