IE10...Yes or no, with some experience

Morey Worthington

Hi all.
IE 7 wants to install IE 10 on my 64 bit machine. Is there a majority consensus (sorry about spelling) as to whether to do it or not? I have had some experience with IE 10 on this machine before. It was a Dell machine that came with Win/8 and IE 10. This was 4 months ago. First off I had a real bad time installing Jaws 14 on the machine. Took 3 days and help from Dell and FS to get the proglem sorted out. That was finally sorted out and I started playing with the Win/8 and Jaws. Many different ways of doing things in 8 but that was another story. When I was using IE 10, there are 2 different versions of it in 8, I could not get IE 10 to keep my passwords for my internet favorites. No matter how I tried, even going to the tools and deleting the history and password files.
After getting really frustrated I removed Win/8 from this machine and installed Win/7HP and now go on my merry way.
Now that IE 10 wants to rejoin me, what does everyone think about it?
Using newest bill of Jaws 14. Thanks for any thoughts.
Morey Worthington

Crystal French

Hi Morey,
I have Windows 7, Jaws 14, and IE 10.

Overall, I have not seen many problems with IE 10, with one exception.

If you use eBay very much, I wouldn’t get IE 10.

For some reason, Jaws doesn’t play well with eBay and IE 10.

If there are any work arounds, I don’t know about them.

I sent this issue to Freedom Scientific.

They told me they were looking into it, and that has been the last I have heard.

The problem is with searches.

If you have search results with a large number of items, Jaws becomes totally unresponsive.

If you have a serch that returns, say twelve items, then, no problem.

Doubtless, others can give you more feedback than me.

Crystal

[...]

Philip Anderson <p.anderson@...>

This is interesting.

I'm using JFW 12, windows 7 and IE 9. The issues I'm having are with search boxes - be it Google, BBC - any search/edit box at all.

When I land in the edit field, occasionally JAWS stops speaking for maybe 30-60 seconds as though everything has frozen. It doesn't matter which key I press,, JAWS simply refuses to co-operate. 8 times out of ten speech eventually is restored.

On top of that, wile JAWS is in this inactive state, I can hear a lot of activity coming from my hard drive. Yet, upon asking my sighted colleagues if they can spot anything untoward on the screen at the time, they cannot find a sensible rationale.

The problem usually occurs when I've opened say Google and I've used my arrow key to scroll down to the search field at high speed. Once the cursor lands in the text box, my entire computer freezes up.

At first I thought it might be a memory problem, but I've ruled that out.

If any of you kind folk are able to cast any light on this problem for me, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Philip

[...]

Stuart Lawler <stuart@...>

Hi Morey,

My experience of IE 10, with Jaws 14 and Windows 8 is that at times you have to run some websites in compatibility mode, in order that they render properly.

You can find compatibility mode under the 'tools' menu in IE 10.

Regards,

Stuart

[...]

Douglas C. DeCamp

Morey,
I installed IE10 about a week ago on my Win 7 64 bit system. I have had no
problems with it and the performance is definetly bettter. I don't store
any passwords though.
Hth

[...]

Thanks to all whom replyed to my response. Will give it a try and hope like ----.
Thanks,
Morey Worthington

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Morey,

If you want sounds to work & if you would like to designate a personal
default download folder follow the steps below:

To get sounds In IE9 & 10:
After you hit alt n for the notification bar and begin the save, hit control
+ J. Tab to the options link, press the spacebar, tab and when you hear
notify
me when download is complete, hit spacebar to check the option. tab to &
Okay the choice.

?
In Internet Explorer 9 / 10 there is the option of having system sounds, as
there were in internet explorer 8. These sounds include a sound when a
download is complete.

By default the system sounds are off. To turn them on:

1. On the tools menu, choose internet options.

2. In the dialog ctrl+tab until you get to the advanced page.

3. In the settings tree view, in the accessibility group, there's the item
play system sounds-off. You can quickly move to this by pressing the letter
p. Press spacebar, and the item changes to play system sounds-on.

4. press enter to press the default ok button.

?
Navigating to a default download folder:

Using IE9,

When you press enter on a download link;

You will hear;

Notification requires response,

Here you would press alt+n,

Now if you use your tab key, you would see;

Run button,

Save button,

Cancel button.

So, the save button will download the file into the default folder.

However, if you wish to change the default folder,

You can press,

Ctrl+j

Now using tab key move to options link and press enter.

Here you will find a browse button,

If you either shift+tab, or tab your way, you will come to a tree-view,

Now you can arrow and choose

Hopefully this will get you started,

Take care.
Mike