Blatant Rant

Steve Matzura

I went to register JAWS yesterday and made a startling and annoying
discovery. In order to register and license your copy of JAWS using
the Internet License Management facility, you need an authorization
number which, according to Freedom Scientific's FS activation page, in
both print and braille on the sleeve of the installation program CD.
OH yeah? Then the dots must be hidden, and the print is either
white-on-white or black-on-black, because nobody in my house, blind or
not, could find such a thing, and we looked on two different versions
that came in two different packages.

I suspect that what's really going on here is that somewhere, way back
when I first got JAWS with the serial number I'm currently using,
which was new for version 4.0 which was the first one to run on
Windows NT and above, the box it came in definitely did have an
authorization number on a stick-on braille label. Of course, 4.0 is
long, long ago, and so is the packaging in which it came. Since then,
I'm sure when updates come out, they are delivered directly from the
company that stamps out and packages the distribution CD's, so they
can't possibly be personalized with your very own authorization
number. If that's correct, where are we supposed to find this thing?
Inquiring minds wanna know, and answers will be gotten tomorrow
morning when FS technical support opens for business.

Dave...

Since you didn't record that number in a file somewhere, you will need to
wait until tomorrow, when you can call FS and ask them.

Annoying, but resolved with keeping a list of all your relevant
authorization, CD key, serial numbers, etc. in a text file somewhere.

Dave Carlson

[...]

Adrian Spratt

If I'm not mistaken, the authorization number and extra CD came with JAWS
6.0. I've kept that version around here for that reason. I hope FS provides
this info and CD whenever someone signs up for the first time. But I agree,
we shouldn't have to rely on the packaging of a JAWS release from seven
versions ago, nor should we have to wait through a whole weekend to obtain
such basic information.

[...]

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

As far as I get it, you will only get a new number once you either
upgrade, or once you get a new SMA. So if you have a active SMA wich
run for 2 years, then after 1 year, you will not get a new number
because the SMA is stil running. So the 20 digit number only change
when you upgrrade or renew SMA.

On 24/03/2013, Adrian Spratt <Adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
[...]

Tom Lange

Hi,
I'd be willing to bet that the full 20-character authorization key is somewhere in the Registry, and that there's got to be some way to find it if you're (a) knowledgeable about navigating it and (b) willing to do some digging. That information should be stored in some sort of registry variable and, if so, using regedit's search capability should let you find it. Can any of you out there confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Adrian Spratt <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com> wrote:

[...]

Different issue, Aidan. You're quite right that the number doesn't change.
I'm only agreeing with what I take to be Steve's point that we need
occasional reminders, such as each time a new version is shipped. I bet most
JAWS users have trashed their old JAWS CD/DVD packages without remembering
that 6.0 had both a braille record of the authorization number and the
authorization disc.

[...]

James Homuth

Your authorization number only changes in the event you've let your SMA
lapse and need a new one. If you renew your existing one, you keep the same
serial number and authorization number. I've had mine since I'm not entirely
sure when and it's never changed. As for the authorization number, I think
FS will provide that to you over the phone if you ask for it. At least, they
used to. That's kind of a non-issue over here since it's stored in a text
file, and that text file's in 5 or 6 different places, but I believe that's
how I obtained it since, like you, I didn't keep the old install package
from a version of JAWS that was forever and a half ago, and I know I've
changed computers etc since then.

James,
List Admin

[...]

Angel

Freedom Scientific will give your authorization number to you if you call. I suspect the same can be gotten by e-mail. I know when I had to reformat my computer I asked for mine; and they were most accommodating.

[...]

Rose Combs <rosecombs@...>

The almost unreadable authorization number is on the Jaws 6 CD and should
also be stored on the computer. I know, I have had to have my husband read
mine a couple of times because the braille label is almost all smashed out
and if I do it alone I get something incorrect. Only time I have needed it
was for a new computer.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com

[...]

I have never gotten a new number since Jaws 6 and my SMAS are up-to-date.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com

[...]

Exactly my plan. I was discussing this with another local JAWS user,
and we both agreed we haven't seen that number on any packaging since
versiion 7.

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 06:32:30 -0700, you wrote:

[...]

Exactly the purpose of my rant.

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:20:32 -0400, you wrote:

[...]

Well that makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.
Not to mention the fact that in my hand right thi second, I hold a
sleeve containing a version 14 installation CD, and on thesleeve in
braille it says "JAWS 14 SMA". What exactly is that even supposed to
mean? Does it mean this is my last version before an SMA renewal is
required? Does it mean the sleeve contains the SMA renewal disk like
the old days? Neither is true. The sleeve actually contains the
version 14 installation disk.

Well, it's just after 8:30 Eastern Time, I'll let you all know how
this shakes out after I call down there and learn what's what.

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:25:35 +0200, you wrote:

[...]

Tom, I said the same thing last night to my local JAWS-using friend. I
have now spent over half an hour trying to find it and have come up
empty-handed. I don't know if it's obfuscated, or I'm just not looking
for the right thing. Either way, I'm off to get the info I need from
the horse's mouth. Then maybe I'll search the registry for that
specific piece of information. If I find it, I'll let you know where
it can be found in there.

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:16:29 -0700, you wrote:

[...]

Cristóbal

I have a copy of my authorization number brailled out in my rolodex along
with a text file saved in my dropbox folder because of this exact reason.

[...]

Steve,

And of course, you'll write this number into a text file that you can find
in the future, correct?

Dave Carlson

[...]

Cy Selfridge

Hmm, I have always just told JAWS to confirm my authorization on-line and
didn't have to mess with that idiot long number/.
Somehow this whole authorization scheme really sucks.
Back in the good old days you had a disk with the blamed code on it and you
knew how many codes you had on it. You could remove the code from the
computer and put it back on the "floppy" when you were going to do things
which would probably wipe out your code.
Cy

[...]

I got the ID, and it is not in the registry stored as plain text. It
might just be stored as numeric strings represented by the base10
versions of the hex digits. I'm frankly not that interested in this
spelunking expedition, I'm just glad I have the information now.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:44:19 -0400, you wrote:

[...]

It very likely is in the registry somewhere, but if FS is being smart about
it, it's encripted. So assuming you can figure out the variable that's
housing it, that's about as far as you're getting. Remember it's also used
to retrieve a license code that's 1: at least 100 characters long and 2: is
already I believe also encripted, so that would actually make something
vaguely resembling sense.

James,
List Admin

[...]

And of course, that was back in the good old days when computers actually
came with floppy drives as a standard feature. You'll note today most of
them don't. Also yes, if you've authorized a computer before or you have the
CD handy, it will remember your code. But if you don't have your CD and it's
a new machine that's never seen the light of JAWS, well, then you've got a
problem.

James,
List Admin