reading N Y Times articles

Tusing <ptusing@...>

Hi,
I would invite any one to find a long article on the N Y Times let's say
under health and
Try to read it with JAWS (10 and 12).

The articles all get interrupted by
"flash movie start"
and then the entire page refreshes back to the top.

I have
"suppress all refreshes" checked.

Yes, one can find "print" and the Timeswill
Present the entire article perfectly.

But I want to know why JAWS cannot read the entire article as happens on
other newspaper sites without refreshing back to the beginning.

Thanks to the excellent person who wrote me privately.

Freedom Scientific did not as of now answer my query.

Thanksto all.

Adrian Spratt

The NY Times has been "improving" its website and emails. Last week they
reformatted their daily headlines email so that headlines are no longer
marked as headers. Before, I could skip from story to story by pressing 3
for header at level 3. Now I have to press 4 for the reporter's byline, then
arrow up twice to the actual headline. Still worse, the layout isn't
consistent, and this method sometimes skips over material. I've written to
the Times to ask them to reinstate the header format for headlines. Their
first response was thanks for my opinion. I followed up, and this time got
an assurance that my request had been forwarded to Development.

To address your concern here, I find that the webpages on the website are no
longer as stable. I can't say I've experienced what you describe because I
automatically go right to the print version. However, it's sometimes
difficult to pin down the print link.

You've probably noticed that sometimes an ad will pop up as a webpage
appears to be opening. The usual solution in this case is to go to the top
of the page and arrow down once. Here there's a link for skipping the ad.
Press enter on this, and the webpage I want stays in place.

You might want to bring your experience to the attention of the Times. As I
tried to suggest, you might need to be persistent. Past problems with the
newspaper have always been fixed.

I'm using JAWS 14, Win7 and IE9. I find that JAWS 14 handles the Internet
better than previous versions of JAWS.

I would invite any one to find a long article on the N Y Times let's say
under health and
Try to read it with JAWS (10 and 12).

The articles all get interrupted by
"flash movie start"
and then the entire page refreshes back to the top.

I have
"suppress all refreshes" checked.

Yes, one can find "print" and the Timeswill
Present the entire article perfectly.

But I want to know why JAWS cannot read the entire article as happens on
other newspaper sites without refreshing back to the beginning.

Thanks to the excellent person who wrote me privately.

Freedom Scientific did not as of now answer my query.

Thanksto all.

Gerald Levy

The easiest way to read the New York Times, or any other major newspaper, for that matter, is to access it using NFB Newsline Online, rather than trying to access it directly from the paper's web site. All articles on NFB Newsline are arranged alphabetically by headline within section, and of course, there are no annoying pop-ups or flash content to deal with.

Gerald

I would invite any one to find a long article on the N Y Times let's say
under health and
Try to read it with JAWS (10 and 12).

The articles all get interrupted by
"flash movie start"
and then the entire page refreshes back to the top.

I have
"suppress all refreshes" checked.

Yes, one can find "print" and the Timeswill
Present the entire article perfectly.

But I want to know why JAWS cannot read the entire article as happens on
other newspaper sites without refreshing back to the beginning.

Thanks to the excellent person who wrote me privately.

Freedom Scientific did not as of now answer my query.

Thanksto all.

David Hardingham

Hi,

lHow do you access this newsline? I am not a member of the nfb.

Thanks,

David

I would invite any one to find a long article on the N Y Times let's say
under health and
Try to read it with JAWS (10 and 12).

The articles all get interrupted by
"flash movie start"
and then the entire page refreshes back to the top.

I have
"suppress all refreshes" checked.

Yes, one can find "print" and the Timeswill
Present the entire article perfectly.

But I want to know why JAWS cannot read the entire article as happens on
other newspaper sites without refreshing back to the beginning.

Thanks to the excellent person who wrote me privately.

Freedom Scientific did not as of now answer my query.

Thanksto all.

Gerald Levy

You do not need to be a member of the NFB to register for NFB Newsline. As long as you are legally blind, you are eligible for service. If you are already a patron of the NLS Talking Book program, you are automatically eligible. NFB Newsline currently has over 300 newspapers, magazines and periodicals available . You can either read them online using your screen reader or by calling a toll-free access number and listening to them over the phone using your choice of synthetic voices. Daily newspapers like the New York Times are posted before the print version hits the newsstands, so you can read the news first thing in the morning if you like. To learn more visit:

https://nfb.org/audio-newspaper-service

Gerald

lHow do you access this newsline? I am not a member of the nfb.

Thanks,

David

I would invite any one to find a long article on the N Y Times let's say
under health and
Try to read it with JAWS (10 and 12).

The articles all get interrupted by
"flash movie start"
and then the entire page refreshes back to the top.

I have
"suppress all refreshes" checked.

Yes, one can find "print" and the Timeswill
Present the entire article perfectly.

But I want to know why JAWS cannot read the entire article as happens on
other newspaper sites without refreshing back to the beginning.

Thanks to the excellent person who wrote me privately.

Freedom Scientific did not as of now answer my query.

Thanksto all.

Bill Spiry

I use JAWS to read news on the web from time to time but find it is
limiting. The NY Times is paywalled online via my PC but interestingly, it's
not paywalled via mobil access.

If you use an iOS device, an app called "Earl" is another fully accessible
alternative for access to the New York Times and hundreds of other English
language newspapers and periodicals from around the world. The interface is
voice controlled and all the content is read to you using your choice of the
five very high quality TTS voices built into Earl. Just double-tap your
screen, listen for the tone, speak a few straightforward commands and Earl
will read articles you select from nearly 300 newspapers and periodicals,
without ever having to see the screen. Earl works equally well with or
without Voice Over since it uses it's own VUI and TTS system.

Find Earl in the app store at:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/Earl/id573701016?ls=1&mt=8

you can find an extensive FAQ/user guide, demo and tutorial podcasts, and
other info about Earl at the home page:
www.EarlSpeech.com/

If you want to learn more about Earl, there are a couple of podcasts you can
check out.
First, a walk through demo on AppleVis.com:
http://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/applevisPodcast335.mp3

and an interview & demo on Blind Bargains from CSun 2013:
http://www.blindbargains.com/audio.php?m=8169

Contact Earl customer support any time with questions or feedback at:
support@...

Best

Bill

[...]

Perhaps it is the easiest way to read the New York Times, but it may not be
the best. For one thing, the Times provides links within articles that are
often useful. Second, you cannot send a friend a link to an article in the
NFB edition. There are other factors, but they might be more debatable. For
anyone who doesn't read in a strictly linear way and wishes to exchange
views with the outside world, the NFB edition is constrictive. I'm glad both
versions exist, though I find I keep reverting to the NY Times website and
haven't even opened the NFB version for months.