How to resize columns and rows in Excel

Apoorv Kulkarni <apoorvkulkarni@...>

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know how to resize columns and rows in MS Excel.

When we enter text in a cell in Excel, at times the text overflows out of
the cell. Depending on whether the adjacent cell has any text, the
overflowing text either is displayed or disappears behind the contents of
the adjacent cell. In either of the two cases, JAWS will read the complete
content of the text, and so, a JAWS user may not understand if the text is
appearing properly on the screen. I wanted to know if there is any way to
resize the column such that the cell is wide enough to display the text
completely. At the same time, how does one know that the new size of the
column is not excessively wide such that the worksheet appears poorly
formatted.

I am aware of the wrap text formatting option of Excel, and would appreciate
if an alternative approach is suggested by the group.

Lastly, is there any way to resize the rows in this fashion too?

Regards,

Apoorv

Sameer

Dear Friend,

In Excel 2007, press Alt + H followed by O & I for adjusting column width.
Press Alt + H followed by O & A to adjust row width.

The above commands will increase the column/ row width to fit the largest amount of data appearing in that particular column/ row.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
Mumbai, India

[...]

paul lemm

Hi,

It would depend which version of excel your using. If its 2010 then you go
to the home menu, then cells, then format, then auto fit either row or Colum
depending on which one you want to change.

I think for older versions of excel (the versions before the ribbon
toolbars) you go to the format menu and it's been a while since I've used
the older versions but I think there is a cells option in there somewhere
with the auto fit options.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul Lemm

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@...>

What I do to widen the columns in Excel 2010 is to press CTRL + spacebar to select the column I wish to widen, then press the applications key and choose "Column width from the context menu, and then type the size I wish the column to be.

HTH
]
Russell
Sent from my iMac running Mountain Lion!

On 2013-03-16, at 9:23 AM, Apoorv Kulkarni <apoorvkulkarni@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

[...]

Ann Byrne

After selecting the column, if you press alt+h, then o, then I Excel will choose the proper width for the column, based on the widest cell.

On 2013-03-16, at 9:23 AM, Apoorv Kulkarni <apoorvkulkarni@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

[...]

George B

Yes but if you choose the cell in the collum with the longest text string in
earlier versions it was easy to fit to that string now it is hidden and the
email yesterday told you how to do the old easy find of auto fit and that
makes the entire collum as wide as the cell you highlitted with the longest
string.