Changing labels in form fields?

Tom Behler

Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Ann Byrne

In Surf's Up, the instruction is for labeling forms in Html documents such as web pages, so I don't know if that would work for your program. It says to press insert+control+tab, type in the name you want, and press enter.

Good luck!

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Ann:

I tried that, but had no luck.

I found those instructions in the Jaws help files as well.

Tom Behler

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

George B

Well tom maybe the fields are locked and you can not change them

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

That could very well be.

I may have to ask the designer of the software.

Tom Behler

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Tom, is this a ready-made database, or do you roll your own? I presume it's the former. The only logging file I've ever used is one I cooked up some years ago in an old DBF-compatible database and ported over to Access, and I don't use it as often as I should. I know they have some slick programs out there at little or no cost, so I'll be interested in following this thread through to resolution.

Ted (KD4EXK)

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Ted:

It's a ready-made data base, which is part of the problem.

I can't figure out how or why Jaws can read the labels if they are outside of the main data entry field.

But, that seems to be the case, which is why it is so difficult to change the label names.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Dave...

Tom,

I'm wondering now if JAWS is actually reading some underlying Alt text that
is coded into the application, and not the actual text on the screen? This
might explain why when you type what is there, it's not actually what's
being read by JAWS and therefore not being affected?

Dave Carlson

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

George B

They have the thing protected except where you can type in a field

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a
bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter
and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the
next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have
yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Dave:

I think you may be right, which means there may not be a whole lot I can do to remedy the problem.

Someone suggested something called Hot Spot Clicker to me, which I have installed and tried, but that doesn't seem to address the problem either.

Tom Behler

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Yup, that's what I was afraid of.

Tom Behler

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a
bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter
and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the
next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have
yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

My log is not for contesting, just a plain vanilla contact log. My contest participation has been casual, to say the very least, but I'm sure the nonhams aren't interested in my HF activity.

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I guess I can understand that, some folks don't want to bother with design issues. Contests are, by nature, fast and furious, and most programs are designed to streamline the process. Some of them do everything except make the contact for you; I think that's on the agenda for next year.

Ted

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a
bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter
and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the
next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have
yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Harris.Robert@...

they have programs on radios that actually throw your call sign out and
yes basically make the contact for you via recorded voice:0). I stay
away from the legal issues of course:0)

What is the blind ham list for subscribing?

Sorry for being off topic.

N9RAT
Bobby and Prince

From: "Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)" <Ted.Lisle@ky.gov>
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Date: 02/07/2013 08:38 AM
Sent by: "Jfw" <jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com>

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a
bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter
and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the
next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have
yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Voice recorder cards can hold a series of short messages, the kind which usually make up contest exchanges, but I was really being facetious, implying that contacts will be made with no operator intervention--tell your radio to go to it, and spend your weekend doing something else.

Ted

At 07:59 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I am working with an amateur radio logging software program, and
have what I think is a pretty simple question:

How can I change the spoken labels for form fields?

The labels spoken in the software as it is now configured are a
bit
cumbersome, and I want to customize them and make them shorter
and
easier to identify as I tab from one data entry field to the
next.

I have tried to find the answer in the Jaws help files, but have
yet
to come up with a clear solution.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Ted:

I'll take this one off the Jaws list, and reply in more detail via the direct e-mail address you provide.

If you don't get my private response soon, let me know via the Jaws list, and I'll try another way.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ