Shortcut for Jaws with sound card?

John Gurd

Is it possible to set up a shortcut to make Jaws load and run with a
particular sound card that is not the default? If it is, I would be
interested to know how to do it if someone can help.

If it isn't, then could anyone tell me how to make a batch file that will do
this?

Thanks in advance.

John

Peter Tighe

John,

I don't think a short cut is really needed!

I have two sound cards, one for default which I primarily use for music and the other which I use exclusively with Jaws.

You can set jaws to use a specific sound card, and leave all other programs to use the default. This means that you can record music without the Jaws voice interfeering.

To change Jaws to play through your nondefault sound card do the following:
From the jaws windowpressalt-u.
arrow down to sound cardand press enter.

You will see a list of all your sound cards. Some may be nentioned twice.

Arrow down to the non default card that says speakers and press enter.
This setting should holde for ever.

Peter

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:56 AM
To: "jfw World List" <jfw@...>
Subject: Shortcut for Jaws with sound card?

Is it possible to set up a shortcut to make Jaws load and run with a
particular sound card that is not the default? If it is, I would be
interested to know how to do it if someone can help.

If it isn't, then could anyone tell me how to make a batch file that will do
this?

Thanks in advance.

John

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I believe the reason John wanted a shortcut for JAWS to use the sound card is that he wanted to have JAWS use the external sound card for music, and to use the internal sound card with JAWS for other applications. If it were possible to toggle use of the sound cards by JAWS, this would be very convenient, and I would be interested in it as well.
Bill White billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:56 AM
To: "jfw World List" <jfw@...>

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7962 (20130202) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7962 (20130202) __________

http://www.eset.com

John Gurd

Well, the reason for asking is that I just installed a high-end second
internal card for music and entertainment. Normally I have it on analogue
where the sound gets played through a transmitter to various radio speakers
throughout the house. For intense listening I switch to SPDIF out on the
surround system. When experimenting with driver settings on the second card
I have sometimes temporarily lost sound from JFW. I thought it would be good
to have a backup way of launching Jaws so that it reverts back to the
on-board sound card. It would give me a guaranteed way of getting out of
trouble if I do things to my other card's driver it doesn't like.

I am running Windows 7. I think there used to be a way of doing something
like this in Windows XP? I would be grateful if anyone knows how this could
be done.

Thanks.

John