The Kindle to computer app and Jaws 11

Lynda Blake <lynda.blake85@...>

Hi

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an app that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However, unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to read the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way around it please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

Lisa Larges

Hi Linda,
Yeah, the Kindle and JAWS don't play all that well together. Amazon has
designed it to work as with its own voicing. Below is the link to the list
of keyboard commands to use with the accessible kindle for pc.
JAWS will, however, read all the menus; alt f, predictably, will take you to
the file menu, for instance.
When I open kindle I often go to the library, by hitting alt G to get to the
"go" menu and then arrowing down to library.
Now JAWS will read the titles in your library. Entering will select that
title, and Control R will begin reading.
Use the Go menu again to move to table of contents, last position read, or
to search for a page number.

On the whole though, JAWS and Kindle are pretty clunky together.
Here's the Amazon help page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_pcland_pcaccess?n
odeId=200596280&pop-up=1

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an app
that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However,
unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to read
the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way around it
please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

lynda Blake <lynda.blake85@...>

Thanks Lisa I just tried control R to see if it would let me use a different voice but no luck. I'll keep trying. Wonder if there is a way to convert Kindle books to Word documents? Lynda

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an app
that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However,
unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to read
the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way around it
please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

Lisa Larges

Hi Linda,
Try this.
Go to the library view. Now you should be able to arrow through the titles
in your library with JAWS. When you get to the title you want, try hitting
the applications key, (between the alt and the control key on the right side
of the space bar.)
Arrow down to "go to beginning of book" and hit enter.
Now hitting control R will start the reader.
And, unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to convert kindle books
to any other format -- part of their proprietary licensing,etc.

Thanks Lisa I just tried control R to see if it would let me use a different
voice but no luck. I'll keep trying. Wonder if there is a way to convert
Kindle books to Word documents? Lynda

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an
app that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However,
unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to
read the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way
around it please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

Peter Donahue

Hello Lisa and everyone,

It's one of the reasons why the NFB and others have been beating on Amazon
to make all Kindle products accessible to permit their use by the blind and
other disabled individuals.

Peter Donahue

Thanks Lisa I just tried control R to see if it would let me use a different
voice but no luck. I'll keep trying. Wonder if there is a way to convert
Kindle books to Word documents? Lynda

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an
app that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However,
unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to
read the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way
around it please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

Dave Durber

Lisa, Linda and everyone:

It is not just the Amazon Proprietary license which prevents saving Kindle books to other formats, it is also the copyright agreements which Amazon has with the copyright owners and publishers of the books.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave durber

Thanks Lisa I just tried control R to see if it would let me use a different
voice but no luck. I'll keep trying. Wonder if there is a way to convert
Kindle books to Word documents? Lynda

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an
app that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However,
unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to
read the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way
around it please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Dave. Then are you saying that "Robinson Crusoe" or another book no
longer protected by copyright is accessible on the Kindle? I'm not clear why
copyright would bar accessibility if a copyrighted book can otherwise be
played on the Kindle.

I am using Jaws 11 on a 32 bit Toshiba laptop and today downloaded an
app that should allow me to read Kindle books on my computer. However,
unfortunately Jaws refuses to say anything but "blank" when I try to
read the ebooks. Has anyone else come across this and found a way
around it please?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lynda

Gary King

Amazon could have done a much better job when they modified Kindle for PC for accessibility. We don't have access to the actual text of the books, and navigation is limited. The only way it really helped us is that it allowed us to listen to books where the text-to-speech option has been disabled by the publishers on the Kindle.

The Convenient OCR feature in JFW can display text from a page of a Kindle book in the Kindle for PC program, but since books are usually printed in multiple columns, reading with the OCR feature would be somewhat challenging.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net