How to mute JAWS in a specific application

Adrian Spratt

Hi. I've just installed IRTI's Eclipse Pro Writer and Hovercam primarily for
scanning and performing OCR on documents. Eclipse comes with its own
synthesizers, so I need to have JAWS be silent whenever I switch to that
application.

The old methods for silencing JAWS in a specific application appear no
longer to work. One of the more recent was to use what is now the Quick
Settings Dialog, but the mute/silence option doesn't appear, at least when I
have Eclipse open. The one method I haven't yet tried involves opening
default scripts and creating an on/off speech toggle keystroke. Even if that
one still works, I'm hoping there's something a little more obvious.

I am using JAWS 13 with XP. Any suggestions?

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Hi, yes its no longer in quick settings, you can either each time you
launch the app, press insert plus space, then s, and do the same thing
when you exit, but the better way is to go to settings centre, then go
to misilanious options, and then to sleep moad, press space til it
says, enable and unload the synthesizer. Then press enter, of corse
make sure that the application file for that eclips is selected in
settings centre.

On 10/01/2013, Adrian Spratt <Adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
Hi. I've just installed IRTI's Eclipse Pro Writer and Hovercam primarily
for
scanning and performing OCR on documents. Eclipse comes with its own
synthesizers, so I need to have JAWS be silent whenever I switch to that
application.

The old methods for silencing JAWS in a specific application appear no
longer to work. One of the more recent was to use what is now the Quick
Settings Dialog, but the mute/silence option doesn't appear, at least when
have Eclipse open. The one method I haven't yet tried involves opening
default scripts and creating an on/off speech toggle keystroke. Even if
that
one still works, I'm hoping there's something a little more obvious.

I am using JAWS 13 with XP. Any suggestions?

Adrian Spratt

Good, concise instructions that work. Thanks, Aidan.

[...]

scrubbed...

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Pressing insert plus space bar gives me a double click. any keystroke after that does nothink. How can I do that wrong? What should I be doing?
Howard

[...]

Here's the flipside of my question. It turns out I need JAWS for certain
aspects of the program, and now I want to wake up JAWS. I went back to the
setting center while in that application and, guess what, JAWS won't speak
to help me do it. Do I just try to replicate the steps without
verbalization, or is there a less chancy method?

[...]

Howard, you aren't the first JAWS user to have this problem. You seem to
describe how to perform the operation just right. But to make sure, press
and release the insert key and spacebar as close together as you can, pause
a moment, then press s. On my system, JAWS says "Speech off," then goes
silent. I repeat the keystrokes, JAWS says, "Speech on," and all's well.

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

Try using Narrator.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

[...]

Another thing to try is going into the J13 ENU folder & deleting any entry
that is named after the program. i.e.,IRTI's Eclipse Pro Writer and
Hovercam.JCF

Hope this helps.
[...]

So simple. And it worked. I'm in awe. Thanks, Mike.

[...]

Thanks Asrian.
When I press the insert plus spacebar, I hear a double click (the clicks are of lower then higher pitch). After that, neither s nor any other key does anything. I am back to whatever screen I started from.

I suppose this is a script of some kind and if I knew anything about scripts, I might look into it further.
Howard

[...]

I suggest you do a jaws repair if all else fail.