From: "Kevin Lee" <kleeva5@gmail.com>
To: <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 14:23
Subject: make the FN key on the hp mini netbook stick?

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps
lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f
keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

Kevin Lee <kleeva5@...>

sticky keys don't work on the fn key I've tried it countless of times.

I doubt it, unless you enable the sticky keys feature in the accessibility
page, then carefully use that key sequence on Fn. However no guarantee that
sticky keys will work with Fn.

Dave Carlson

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps
lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f
keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

Dave...

Sort of what I thought.

Dave Carlson

sticky keys don't work on the fn key I've tried it countless of times.

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps
lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f
keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:23 PM, "Kevin Lee" <kleeva5@gmail.com> wrote:

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Well you might be out of luck since it doesn't work

Sent from my iPhone

-----Original Message----- From: Farfar Carlson
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 2:43 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Lee" <kleeva5@gmail.com>
is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps
lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f
keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

James Homuth

This doesn't really have a whole lot to do with JAWS, really. Probably more
appropriate for the blindtech list. Just in case you weren't actually aiming
it at this list.

James,
List Admin

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Ann Byrne

Can you get to the windows Mobility Center and change settings for the function keys? Windows key x is supposed to do it, but it doesn't always.

The fn keys on standard lap tops are sometimes set for media and in the mobility center you can change them to another something instead. I would think that a netbook would be similar.

Maybe?

At 04:23 PM 1/4/2013, you wrote:
is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

Kevin Lee <kleeva5@...>

James, yes it does, when using jaws in internet explorer you do the combo insert+f7 to get links, insert+f6 to get the headings. in order to get the insert key you must press the fn key because it is also the print screen key, also the f keys also have other functions and the fn key must be pressed in order to use the f keys.

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Brent Harding

Are all HP laptops out there like this where the F keys are secondary to other functions, meaning you have to hit FN to use them? I'm looking into getting a new laptop because this mac book I've been running XP in boot camp on has the left and right arrow keys broken, so I've had to remap away the application key I was using to have right arrow. I'm looking to get something which doesn't have too odd of a keyboard layout though as I may need to bring this for temporary jobs, and trying to get a full size keyboard into a bag is difficult when the laptop will take up most of it.

James, yes it does, when using jaws in internet explorer you do the combo insert+f7 to get links, insert+f6 to get the headings. in order to get the insert key you must press the fn key because it is also the print screen key, also the f keys also have other functions and the fn key must be pressed in order to use the f keys.

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Dave...

Kevin,

That's incredible, and I'd toss out that HP Laptop if it's really true that
you have to use the Fn key for any Insert + key operation, Why not use the
JAWS Laptop layout so that the Caps Lock key is the JAWS key? Would make a
lot more sense than what you're going through.

Dave Carlson

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

James Homuth

I'm aware of what you need to do to make use of JAWS with IE. However, this
does not directly impact your use of JAWS with IE. Therefore, this is not
appropriate for this list.

James,
List Admin

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Dave Durber

Dave:

I have an HP laptop which has a built-in number pad.

Regardless of that, I still use the JAWS laptop keyboard layout for all my screen-reading functions.

In fact, I use the JAWS laptop keyboard with my desktop as well. That way, I do not have to keep thinking which keystrokes I need to press when I use a laptop.

So, when I use a laptop without a built-in keyboard, the only key I really need to worry about, is where is the INSERT key located for that particular model laptop.

Sincerely:

Dave durber

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Its mostly netbooks that behave that way, but there should be a way to
remap the fn keys, I heard it must be done in the bios but I don't no.
Just wild guessing here.

On 05/01/2013, Dave Durber <d.durber@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Michael Mote

Kevin, try this. You may need some sighted help to do this, but you'll only have to do it once.

1.. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
2.. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.
3.. Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

4.. Use the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
5.. Select the desired mode:
a.. Disabled : Requires pressing fn key + f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action key.
For example, if Disabled , pressing fn + f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing f11 only will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.
The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
b.. Enabled : Requires pressing only f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action keys.
For example, if Enabled , pressing f11 only will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.
The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
6.. Press f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.
The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

sticky keys don't work on the fn key I've tried it countless of times.

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the caps
lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to use the f
keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.

Michael Mote

If I were you, I would steer clear of HP laptops. I use one at work, and my wife bought me one for my birthday. It's very fast, but it has its hang-ups. One particular issue that I hate, is when IE crashes, it locks up JAWS, and the only way I can get it to start talking again, is to either restart it, or have a sighted person help me figure out what the message is, and click on it. Then and only then, JAWS will start working again. This is not a JAWS issue because it doesn't happen on other computers that I use.

[...]

My hp netbook is also setup that way, but jaws work wel there. What
problems do you have when the keys function as media keys wich is not
good for jaws?

On 05/01/2013, Mike Mote <miketmote73@gmail.com> wrote:
Dave, I had the same problem. HP sets up their computers so that the
function keys act as media controls, volume, fast forward, etc. You have to

disable it in the Bios. After that, JAWS functionality is much better.

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Dave...

Mike,

Then I'm glad I've never had to deal with one.

Dave Carlson

Dave, I had the same problem. HP sets up their computers so that the
function keys act as media controls, volume, fast forward, etc. You have to
disable it in the Bios. After that, JAWS functionality is much better.

is there a way to lock the FN key on the hp mini netbook like the
caps lock? its very ackward to press the fn key everytime I want to
use the f keys or the home, end, pg up, and dwn pg keys.
scrubbed...

Cy Selfridge

This is interesting. My wife's HP Notebook came with the media setting on
those function keys.
If I need to use her computer I use an USB keyboaard and the function keys
on the USB keyboard work normally.
My HP does not have this problem, thankfully.
Cy