JAWS for DOS

Carlos Medrano

Hello

Can you put jaws for dos on a floppy disk? I need dos to wipe my CMOS and
the only way that I can do it is off a dos floppy.

Thanks,

Carlos

Dave Durber

Hello Carlos:

Yes, you can put JAWS for DOS on a 1.44 floppy Disk.

To my knowledge, you cannot use JFD to access the CMOS for a motherboard in any way nor, can you use JFD to delete/wipe/erase the CMOS settings for a motherboard.

If you know where the jumper that resets the CMOS to factory defaults is located on your motherboard, change the jumper setting and turn on your computer so that the reset of the CMOS can be performed.

After the CMOS has been reset to factory defaults, turn off the computer and return the jumper to its original location, otherwise, the CMOS will be reset to factory defaults, each time you turn on your computer.

Unless you are really certain as to how the jumper on the motherboard must be set to perform the CMOS reset function, I would strongly recommend you get someone with vision, who is familiar with motherboards to help you with this task.

Unless you are familiar with the CMOS of a particular motherboard, if you are totally blind, you will need sighted assistance to make the desired changes to the CMOS.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Can you put jaws for dos on a floppy disk? I need dos to wipe my CMOS and
the only way that I can do it is off a dos floppy.

Thanks,

Carlos

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Good points. As I recall, you haven't been able to use a DOS screenreader in anything later than Win98. That's why I finally discontinued using my much-beloved ASAP.

Ted

Can you put jaws for dos on a floppy disk? I need dos to wipe my CMOS and
the only way that I can do it is off a dos floppy.

Thanks,

Carlos

Doris and Chris

I think you actually can use the more modern dos screenreaders like asap or vocal eyes under an NT environment, i.e. in a console or you can run your dos screenreader from a boot floppy and access your nt system that way as long as the floppy has a driver to read the ntfs file system on the nt box.

Doris

At 01:44 PM 12/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Good points. As I recall, you haven't been able to use a DOS screenreader in anything later than Win98. That's why I finally discontinued using my much-beloved ASAP.

Ted

Can you put jaws for dos on a floppy disk? I need dos to wipe my CMOS and
the only way that I can do it is off a dos floppy.

Thanks,

Carlos

Dave...

Dave,

Excellent advice.

Dave Carlson

Can you put jaws for dos on a floppy disk? I need dos to wipe my CMOS and
the only way that I can do it is off a dos floppy.

Thanks,

Carlos

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

You may be right about NT, I can't remember now; but I know XP is NT with a face lift, and I haven't ever run ASAP under that. Of course, I don't have a working floppy drive installed in my current machine, but there once was a box under advance settings that allowed you to run a DOS screenreader, and that box is long gone. There aren't many files around today that fit on one of those little guys, but sometimes I miss them.

Ted

Can you put jaws for dos on a floppy disk? I need dos to wipe my
CMOS and the only way that I can do it is off a dos floppy.

Thanks,

Carlos

scrubbed...

Dave Durber

Dave and everyone:

I forgot to add in my previous posting, you can delete the CMOS by disconnecting the power cable from the computer, removing the lythium battery for a few seconds and then replacing it, then reconnecting the power cable. NOTE: If you do not disconnect the power cable, before removing the lythium battery, the CMOS will not be deleted/destroyed. This is because the power supply delivers a constant 5 Volts to the motherboard, to maintain the stored CMOS information. The Lythium battery, only comes into effect, when the power cable is disconnected from the computer system.

One other very important point I forgot to make, before changing the position of the BIOS jumper on the motherboard, you must, I repeat, you must disconnect the power cable from the computer system. Failure to do so, could cause serious damage to the motherboard, including blowing it altogether.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber