windows and jaws 14

Gery Gaubert <GGaubert@...>

I started trying windows 8 with jaws 14. What I can't seem to find any where is how to shut down the computer when done. I checked on the fs website and didn't find it unless I missed it. If anyone can help it would be great.

Gery D. Gaubert
Assistant, Information Technology Administrator
St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office
office (985) 783-0208
mobile 504-329-9439
ggaubert@stcharlessheriff.org

This e-mail and any attachments thereto are intended only for the use by the addressee(s) named herein and contain propriety/confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by telephone (985-783-0208) and permanently delete/destroy the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.

Mann, Madleen

Try incert plus c you open the charmes list and then you need to arrow
down till it says shut down I think..

Madleen Mann
Customer sales and support (Technology)
RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)
105 Judd Street, London WC1H 9NE

t: 020 7391 2308
e: madleen.mann@rnib.org.uk
w: www.rnib.org.uk

Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnibuk
Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/rnib

[...]

To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
spam@mailcontrol.com

DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Yes, or press alt f4 on the desktop.

On 10/12/2012, Mann, Madleen <Madleen.Mann@rnib.org.uk> wrote:
[...]

Lauren

What is a charms list; is there a comprible old Windows or Jaws term for that?

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

Its a new thing in windows8 wich group items or settings together.
That's what they call it.

On 10/12/2012, Lauren <lotusrising@verizon.net> wrote:
[...]

Is that like the start menu?

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

Crystal French

Charms? Really?
Geez, and I thought ribbons were stupid.

Crystal

[...]

You have an extra start menu and within that you have tiles to
Navigate through but the charmes list is an extra list for some windows
commands

[...]

the
RNIB Talking Book Service today. http://rnib.in/SajYVJ
--

DISCLAIMER:

is
the
sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete
it
and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated
by
cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are
transmitted.

and
any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted
Security -

David Whitehead <davidwhitehead1957@...>

hello;

from the desktop,
press,
alt+f4 and enter on shutdown.

[...]

Robert Logue <bobcat11@...>

Agreed!

Bob

On 12/10/2012 7:24 AM, Crystal French wrote:
[...]

Is there a quick ref guide for Windows 8 & Jaws?

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

hello there;
if your using a laptop,
you could also have the laptop shutdown when you closed the lid,
you do this by going into control panel/power options,
and choose,
Choose what closing the lid does link.
you get there by pressing the tab key.
you have 4 choices,
do nothing,
sleep,
highbernate,
shutdown.
then save the change, again using the tab key.

[...]

For those of you who have installed Windows 8 and are looking for a
comprehensive list of keyboard shortcuts to save you some time, look no
further.

Windows key: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last
accessed application
Windows key + C: Access the charms bar
Windows key + Tab: Access the Modern Desktop Taskbar
Windows key + I: Access the Settings charm
Windows key + H: Access the Share charm
Windows key + K: Access the Devices charm
Windows key + Q: Access the Apps Search screen
Windows key + F: Access the Files Search screen
Windows key + W: Access the Settings Search screen
Windows key + P: Access the Second Screen bar
Windows key + Z: Brings up the App Bar when you have a Modern Desktop App
running
Windows key + X: Access the Windows Tools Menu
Windows key + O: Lock screen orientation
Windows key + . : Move the screen split to the right
Windows key + Shift + . : Move the screen split to the left
Windows key + V: View all active Toasts/Notifications
Windows key + Shift + V: View all active Toasts/Notifications in reverse
order
Windows key + PrtScn: Takes a screenshot of the screen and automatically
saves it in the Pictures folder as Screenshot
Windows key + Enter: Launch Narrator
Windows key + E: Open Computer
Windows key + R: Open the Run dialog box
Windows key + U: Open Ease of Access Center
Windows key + Ctrl + F: Open Find Computers dialog box
Windows key + Pause/Break: Open the System page
Windows key + 1..10: Launch a program pinned on the Taskbar in the position
indicated by the number
Windows key + Shift + 1..10: Launch a new instance of a program pinned on
the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Ctrl + 1..10: Access the last active instance of a program
pinned on the Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + Alt + 1..10: Access the Jump List of a program pinned on the
Taskbar in the position indicated by the number
Windows key + B: Select the first item in the Notification Area and then use
the arrow keys to cycle through the items Press Enter to open the selected
item
Windows key + Ctrl + B: Access the program that is displaying a message in
the Notification Area
Windows key + T: Cycle through the items on the Taskbar
Windows key + M: Minimize all windows
Windows key + Shift + M: Restore all minimized windows
Windows key + D: Show/Hide Desktop (minimize/restore all windows)
Windows key + L: Lock computer
Windows key + Up Arrow: Maximize current window
Windows key + Down Arrow: Minimize/restore current window
Windows key + Home: Minimize all but the current window
Windows key + Left Arrow: Tile window on the left side of the screen
Windows key + Right Arrow: Tile window on the right side of the screen
Windows key + Shift + Up Arrow: Extend current window from the top to the
bottom of the screen
Windows key + Shift + Left/Right Arrow: Move the current window from one
monitor to the next
Windows key + F1: Launch Windows Help and Support

PageUp: Scroll forward on the Modern Desktop Start screen
PageDown: Scroll backward on the Modern Desktop Start screen
Esc: Close  a charm
Ctrl + Esc: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed
application
Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel: Activate the Semantic Zoom on the Modern Desktop
screen

Alt: Display a hidden Menu Bar
Alt + D: Select the Address Bar
Alt + P: Display the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer
Alt + Tab: Cycle forward through open windows
Alt + Shift + Tab: Cycle backward through open windows
Alt + F: Close the current window Open the Shut Down Windows dialog box from
the Desktop
Alt + Spacebar: Access the Shortcut menu for current window
Alt + Esc: Cycle between open programs in the order that they were opened
Alt + Enter: Open the Properties dialog box of the selected item
Alt + PrtScn: Take a screen shot of the active Window and place it in the
clipboard
Alt + Up Arrow: Move up one folder level in Windows Explorer (Like the Up
Arrow in XP)
Alt + Left Arrow: Display the previous folder
Alt + Right Arrow: Display the next folder
Shift + Insert: CD/DVD Load CD/DVD without triggering Autoplay or Autorun
Shift + Delete: Permanently delete the item (rather than sending it to the
Recycle Bin)
Shift + F6: Cycle backward through elements in a window or dialog box
Shift + F10: Access the context menu for the selected item
Shift + Tab: Cycle backward through elements in a window or dialog box
Shift + Click: Select a consecutive group of items
Shift + Click on a Taskbar button: Launch a new instance of a program
Shift + Right-click on a Taskbar button: Access the context menu for the
selected item
Ctrl + A: Select all items
Ctrl + C: Copy the selected item
Ctrl + X: Cut the selected item
Ctrl + V: Paste the selected item
Ctrl + D: Delete selected item
Ctrl + Z: Undo an action
Ctrl + Y: Redo an action
Ctrl + N: Open a new window in Windows Explorer
Ctrl + W: Close current window in Windows Explorer
Ctrl + E: Select the Search box in the upper right corner of a window
Ctrl + Shift + N: Create new folder
Ctrl + Shift + Esc: Open the Windows Task Manager
Ctrl + Alt + Tab: Use arrow keys to cycle through open windows
Ctrl + Alt + Delete: Access the Windows Security screen
Ctrl + Click: Select multiple individual items
Ctrl + Click and drag an item: Copies that item in the same folder
Ctrl + Shift + Click and drag an item: Creates a shortcut for that item in
the same folder
Ctrl + Tab:  Move forward through tabs
Ctrl + Shift + Tab: Move backward through tabs
Ctrl + Shift + Click on a Taskbar button: Launch a new instance of a program
as an Administrator
Ctrl + Click on a grouped Taskbar button: Cycle through the instances of a
program in the group
F1: Display Help
F2: Rename a file
F3: Open Search
F4: Display the Address Bar list
F5: Refresh display
F6: Cycle forward through elements in a window or dialog box
F7: Display command history in a Command Prompt
F10: Display hidden Menu Bar
F11: Toggle full screen display
Tab: Cycle forward through elements in a window or dialog box
PrtScn: Take a screen shot of the entire screen and place it in the
clipboard
Home: Move to the top of the active window
End: Move to the bottom of the active window
Delete: Delete the selected item
Backspace: Display the previous folder in Windows Explorer  Move up one
folder level in Open or Save dialog box
Esc: Close a dialog box
Num Lock Enabled + Plus (+): Display the contents of the selected folder
Num Lock Enabled + Minus (-): Collapse the selected folder
Num Lock Enabled + Asterisk (*): Expand all subfolders under the selected
folder

Press Shift 5 times Turn StickyKeys on or off
Hold down right Shift for 8 seconds Turn FilterKeys on or off
Hold down Num Lock for 5 seconds Turn ToggleKeys on or off

[...]

I should also add,
windows 8 uses windows defender instead of MSE.

[...]

emma goodwin <emma.sleeptalk@...>

Yes but you can also use something else if you wish but MSE is just
fine and if it works for you then by all means use it on win8.

On 12/10/12, David Whitehead <davidwhitehead1957@cogeco.ca> wrote:
[...]

SleepTalk in action

David Whitehead <davidwhitehead1957@...>

hello;
no your missing my point, you can't use MSE on windows 8, it will not
install at, all!
the default virus/malware program for windows 8 is,
windows defender.

[...]

emma.sleeptalk@...

Yes, i had forgotten that but yes u right. On win7 i couldn't get windows defender to work with nse at all!

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Dec 2012, at 23:19, "David Whitehead" <davidwhitehead1957@cogeco.ca> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

Do these keystrokes apply to laptops as well or do I need to switch Jaws to a non-laptop setting?

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

since the keystrokes are windows base/driven, they will work on eather
desktop or laptop. hope this helps.