Latest JFW 14 upgrade and bugs

Dale Reardon <dale@...>

Hi,

I have just installed (wish I hadn't) the latest Jaws update.

Now it won't read when I alt tab on the computer and tell me which programs
I'm going between.

Can this be fixed? Is there a new setting somewhere?

Alternatively do you know where the download is of the previous jaws
version? I can't find the previous version on the FS website.

Thanks,
Dale.

Dale Reardon

Phone: 03 62867105 Mobile: 0420 277457

Follow me on Twitter < <http://www.twitter.com/dalereardon/>
http://www.twitter.com/dalereardon/> and Facebook <
<http://www.facebook.com/dalereardon/> http://www.facebook.com/dalereardon/>

My blog < <http://www.dalereardon.com.au/> http://www.dalereardon.com.au/>
covering discrimination law, Disability Issues and higher education

For information on moving to Tasmania, see Settled In Home Search and
Relocation Services < <http://www.settledin.com.au/>
http://www.settledin.com.au/>

William Sallander <wsallander@...>

I'm basically having the same issues.
I've also noticed that the jaws, shift keys will not work.
I've also noticed when tabbing through the desktop, task and notifications area, the tab keys not to go in the direction you are tabbing.
It looks like the so called patch broke it even more.
You may also want to see if you can find the previous versions in the downloads section.
I believe there is a certain section for previous versions of Jaws on the FS site.

[...]

Cristóbal

I'm not experiencing this issue on my Win7 64 bit machine with the latest
update.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

This won't help now, but it's a good idea to save each release of JAWS that
you install in case the one after causes new problems.

[...]

Gary King

So far I'm not having this problem or any other problem with the upgrade. Usually, I wait to see what problems an upgrade causes before I install it, but I let this one onto my Windows 7 64-bit computer. Hope I'm not sorry in the future!

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

[...]

You are lucky. Mine is a 64 bit Windows 7 machine as well.

I should have waited to see how the release went for others but someone has
to try it early on to help others!

Follow me on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/dalereardon/> and Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/dalereardon/>

My blog <http://www.dalereardon.com.au/> covering discrimination law,
[...]

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook 2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

john.falter

To get the previous version of JAWS:
1. go to Freedom Scientific's web site.
2. find the current JAWS14 and start to download it.
3. After you say SAVE, you will be presented with the name of the current JAWS file.
4. edit that name to read: J14.0.918
5. press enter to complete the download.

[...]

Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@...>

I'll do a system restore and wait a couple.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Adrian Spratt wrote:

[...]

emma goodwin <emma.sleeptalk@...>

This makes me nervousabout updating. I am still using Jaws 13 and
downloaded 14 but because of all of these bugs and problems, I'm very
hesitant to install it. I agree that we must keep a copy of previous
versions on our computer and I might go over to Jaws 14 in a few
months but right now all these issues are keeping me back. I am using
win7 32 bit but there are more people experiencing issues then those
that arn't.

On 12/7/12, Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@shellworld.net> wrote:
[...]

SleepTalk in action

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Wel the thing is that the copy of the previous version should be on
the pc wile you instal 14, and you must choose to leave shaired
components dearing instal. I hope it can be fixed, as freedom like to
choose wich bugs to fix and wich not. From the downloads page, select
jaws, and from there, select the archives, then you can get to 13 and
earlier.

On 07/12/2012, emma goodwin <emma.sleeptalk@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Lauren

Is anyone using Jaws 14 with Windows 8?

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

Robin Frost <robinni71@...>

Hi,
I’m not having the bugs mentioned thus far but am having one of my own which I’ll add to the mix.
Taken from the enhancements for this release of JFW info we have:
“• Resolved multiple customer reported issues where pages and forms were not automatically refreshing as expected unless INSERT+ESC was used to manually
refresh the screen.”
I never had any issues regarding that before but I sure have one like that now. when I attempt to invoke either the jfw find command to search for a word on a web page or endeavor to bring up the links list on a web page or within an email (anywhere the virtual cursor is present) jfw doesn’t verbalize that the edit box for finding or the links list has become available or has come into focus until I use insert escape to refresh the screen and even then the links list does not verbalize when one arrows through its entries. The only way I can know what links appear in it or which links I’m on is to do a say line.
This is not good. I will be reporting this to FS today.
Robin

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

How did you do that? I remember the old days of patches, but, these days we seem to get entirely new downloads. I've only had to roll back once recently, and that was here at the office earlier this year.

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook 2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

George B

From just getting off the phone with f s tech f y I, windows 7 and vista do
not use video intersecpt. It is something different and they took the file
out of the utilities folder that is why you can not find it.

How did you do that? I remember the old days of patches, but, these
days we seem to get entirely new downloads. I've only had to roll back
once recently, and that was here at the office earlier this year.

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook
2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where
you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Yes I also want to no how to role back an update?

On 07/12/2012, George B <gbmagoo@comcast.net> wrote:
From just getting off the phone with f s tech f y I, windows 7 and vista do
not use video intersecpt. It is something different and they took the file
out of the utilities folder that is why you can not find it.

How did you do that? I remember the old days of patches, but, these
days we seem to get entirely new downloads. I've only had to roll back
once recently, and that was here at the office earlier this year.

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook
2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where
you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

dennis <dennis.cornelison@...>

what i do is create a system restore point and if the update fries everything i just do a system restore and all is well.

How did you do that? I remember the old days of patches, but, these
days we seem to get entirely new downloads. I've only had to roll back
once recently, and that was here at the office earlier this year.

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook
2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where
you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

Londa Peterson <lpeterson@...>

It looks like that update is no longer on the website. I just checked for
updates on a computer that didn't have the latest one. A client just called
me with major problems with this update. I could have tried to fix it, but I
refered him to Freedom Scientific instead. I didn't want to make it worse.

what i do is create a system restore point and if the update fries
everything i just do a system restore and all is well.

How did you do that? I remember the old days of patches, but, these
days we seem to get entirely new downloads. I've only had to roll back
once recently, and that was here at the office earlier this year.

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook
2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where
you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

That's interesting. I know Windows 8 is radically different and that JAWS (and all screen readers) "hook" into the operating system much differently than before, but I had not heard that the "hook" or some aspect of the "hook" had changed as far back as Vista.
BTW,
The update works fine (so far) on my Windows 8 machine.
Too chicken to try it on my Windows 7 machine, given the reports on this list.

not use video intersecpt. It is something different and they took the file
out of the utilities folder that is why you can not find it.

How did you do that? I remember the old days of patches, but, these
days we seem to get entirely new downloads. I've only had to roll back
once recently, and that was here at the office earlier this year.

I have just uninstalled the hotfix and gone back to:

J14.0.918-64bit.exe

However it is playing up with the virtual cursor and IE9 and Outlook
2010.

It just says blank page in IE and won't read emails either.

Has perhaps the video intercept got corrupted but I can't find where
you fix
that? Where do I go?

I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks,
Dale.

Thank you.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I think I recall seeing or hearing that. This may be why Access 2007began working again in 13, as Carson and others pinpointed video handling as the culprit.

Ted