From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Mike Mote
Sent: 06 December 2012 00:26
To: The Jaws for Windows support mailing list
Subject: Issue with JFW 13 and IE 8.

Hello folks! I'm having an issue on my work computer. I use windows 7,
along with Jaws 13 and at least once a day, IE encounters a problem, and
wants to close the particular web-page that I am on. When this happens,
JAWS stops speaking. I have to utilize sighted assistance to click the
message. Once that happens, JAWS works right again. Left to my own
devices, if this error occurs, I have to do a hard reboot of my computer
system. I hate doing this, because I'd rather shut the computer down
properly. Any suggestions? I know it is a rather odd problem. One that I
do not encounter on my home computer.

David Greene <revdgreene@...>

Hi,
I am still using XP professional with Jaws 11 and that happens to me frequently. I have re-installed IE 8 and that helps for a while, and if I minimize all windows with the windows key plus M, Jaws will start speaking again and I can then alt tab back to IE8.
It makes me think that there is a bug in IE 8, but can't prove it.
David Greene

Mike, having used jaws 13 and Windows 7 and i.e. 8 for a good year, I've not
come across this one. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to you, just that I
haven't seen it.
Cheers
Alex

Hello folks! I'm having an issue on my work computer. I use windows 7,
along with Jaws 13 and at least once a day, IE encounters a problem, and
wants to close the particular web-page that I am on. When this happens,
JAWS stops speaking. I have to utilize sighted assistance to click the
message. Once that happens, JAWS works right again. Left to my own
devices, if this error occurs, I have to do a hard reboot of my computer
system. I hate doing this, because I'd rather shut the computer down
properly. Any suggestions? I know it is a rather odd problem. One that I
do not encounter on my home computer.

Gary King

Mike,
This is where another screen reader such as NVDA or Narrator can come in handy. The first thing I do when the computer goes silent is to bring up NVDA to see what has happened and what I need to do about it.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net