Accessing OCR Function In Jaws 13 for Scanned Image PDF Files

Tom Behler

Hi, all.

At work, I am getting increasing numbers of scanned image PDF files.

I have the K1000 software from Kurzweil, but still need to get a scanner to interface with that program.

In the meantime, can someone give me a quick summary of the key commands that are used to do the OCR recognition via Jaws 13 in Windows 7, at least for the time being?

I consulted the help file in Jaws 13, but got what seemed to be confusing instructions.

The help file said to use the insert key, plus the space bar and the letter S to start the reading, but I could never get it to work. Perhaps I'm doing the key conbination incorrectly.

Again, I'm using Jaws 13, with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

Below are several different notes from my OCR notes folder. There are links
to tutorials at the bottom.
Whenever you press Insert / Jaws key + R, this is called, Layered Keystrokes
, you can then press the question mark key to have Jaws tell you what all
the
options are in there.

Insert / Jaws key + R, then press the letter, O, for OCR Recognition, then
press the letter W, for window.

To navigate tables with 1 hand, press Insert / Jaws key + r, then T, for
tables.

Whenever you press Insert / Jaws key + R, this is called, Layered Keystrokes
, you can then press the question mark key to have Jaws tell you what all
the
options are in there.

Insert / Jaws key + R, then press the letter, O, for OCR Recognition, then
press the letter W, for window.

To navigate tables with 1 hand, press Insert / Jaws key + r, then T, for
tables.
The convenient OCR in jaws 13 is not a replacement for doing OCR on a
document but rather it is designed to perform OCR on screen elements.
Not only does it perform OCR on the screen element, it also allows you to
move through the results with the jaws cursor and if it has clickable spots
you
can use the jaws mouse click "NUMPAD slash" to activate the control.
As some one stated earlier to day they were able to register some software
that had a totally graphical screen.
Regards
Tom

While very long PDF documents are better left to Open Book, or Kurzweill,
the OCR function in Jaws 13 could come in handy for checking out fax pages
received by e-mail, and if the fax contains multiple pages, one can OCR the
first page, then press control+page down to go to the next page, and use the
OCR tool to read that second page, and so on down the number of pages in the
fax.

This will definitely come in very handy for me in my business.

Scorpio

Customizing the OCR Voice

To customize the voice you hear when reading recognized text, do the
following:
1.Press INSERT+F2, and select Settings Center. When Settings Center opens,
press CTRL+SHIFT+D to open Default.
2.In the tree view, navigate to and expand Voice Aliases, then select
Customize Voice Aliases.
3.Press F6 to move to the Voice Aliases page, and choose the Voice Aliases
button to open the dialog box.
4.Select OCRVoice from the list of voice aliasses and choose the Modify
button to customize the settings for this alias.
Roy

From: Eric Damery
To learn how to adjust the voice, please go to:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-public-beta.asp

There is a heading on this page for: Customizing the OCR Voice

Regards,
Eric

Click on the links below for OCR information.

Webinar Link:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/archives/2011-11-10_ConvenientOCR

OCR .MP3 Link:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/archives/JAWS-MP3/2011-11-10_ConvenientOCR-MP3.zip

HTML Files Link;

http://www.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/archives/Training/2011-11-10_ConvenientOCR-HTML.zip

Hope this helps.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

At work, I am getting increasing numbers of scanned image PDF files.

I have the K1000 software from Kurzweil, but still need to get a scanner to
interface with that program.

In the meantime, can someone give me a quick summary of the key commands
that are used to do the OCR recognition via Jaws 13 in Windows 7, at least
for the time being?

I consulted the help file in Jaws 13, but got what seemed to be confusing
instructions.

The help file said to use the insert key, plus the space bar and the letter
S to start the reading, but I could never get it to work. Perhaps I'm doing
the key conbination incorrectly.

Again, I'm using Jaws 13, with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Mike:

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here, but I'm trying to figure out where the insert and jaws keys are to do the insert plus jaws key plus R combination.

It just seems very hard to do from an urgonomic point of view.

Can you tell me how you do this on the standard computer keyboard?

Again, sorry about my ignorance here.

Dr. Tom Behler

At work, I am getting increasing numbers of scanned image PDF files.

I have the K1000 software from Kurzweil, but still need to get a scanner to
interface with that program.

In the meantime, can someone give me a quick summary of the key commands
that are used to do the OCR recognition via Jaws 13 in Windows 7, at least
for the time being?

I consulted the help file in Jaws 13, but got what seemed to be confusing
instructions.

The help file said to use the insert key, plus the space bar and the letter
S to start the reading, but I could never get it to work. Perhaps I'm doing
the key conbination incorrectly.

Again, I'm using Jaws 13, with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Lisa Larges

Hi There,
Actually, I think what's meant here is to press the JAWS key (which is equal
to the insert key)
And, instead of "R" press the spacebar.

So:
Hit the JAWS key and the spacebar; you'll here a click, letting you know
you're in the "layered keystroke" mode; now you can press whichever key you
want:
O for OCR, for instance.
Checking out the tutorials may also be helful to get the hang of it.
Lisa

[...]

The insert & Jaws key are the same key, per say. It is the 0 on the num
pad, which is the the key on the far left, bottom row of the numpad. The
keys on the bottom row of the numpad left to right are,insert / Jaws key /
0, delete, & enter. Hold the insert key down & press the spacebar & you
should hear a click sound then, press the letter O, for OCR then, press the
letter W, to start the OCR program / function on the window you are in.
Now, the Jaws cursor is in action so, press the page up / 9 key on the
numpad to take the cursor to the top of the page &, arrow down 1 line at a
time to read what is there.
[...]

Hi Again Tom,

I should have stated that, after holding down the insert / Jaws key &
pressing the spacebar & hearing that sound, release the keys then, press the
letter O, release the O, then press W & release the key. The insert works
as a Jaws modifier key when the numpad numlock is off. This means that you
can use the Jaws key in conjuntion with other keys such as the control, alt,
& shift keys to perform other Jaws keystrokes. I hope this helps. If not,
hopefully someone will jump in & explain this a little better.
[...]

Gary King

Tom,
First of all, if your Kurzweil 1000 is installed, I would try opening a PDF file with it since you will get better results than with the OCR in JAWS. A scanner is not required for Kurzweil 1000 to process PDF documents.

If you want to try the OCR in JAWS on one of your documents, bring up the document in whatever program you're using, Adobe Reader, I suppose, then Press Insert Spacebar, then press O for OCR followed by w to OCR the window. You'll hear OCR started, Finished, JAWS Cursor. You'll be in JAWS Cursor Mode and will be able to read the results of the OCR with the JAWS Cursor. The OCR in JAWS only reads the text that is on the screen, so if your document is larger than that, then you won't get all of it with one go. The Help suggests that you make sure the window containing the document is maximized. so that you get the maximum amount of text. To hear all of the OCR commands, press Insert Spacebar, then o followed by a Question Mark.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

At work, I am getting increasing numbers of scanned image PDF files.

I have the K1000 software from Kurzweil, but still need to get a scanner to interface with that program.

In the meantime, can someone give me a quick summary of the key commands that are used to do the OCR recognition via Jaws 13 in Windows 7, at least for the time being?

I consulted the help file in Jaws 13, but got what seemed to be confusing instructions.

The help file said to use the insert key, plus the space bar and the letter S to start the reading, but I could never get it to work. Perhaps I'm doing the key conbination incorrectly.

Again, I'm using Jaws 13, with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Jimmy Jones

Press the +Spacebar, then press o. You now have a list of different scans
you can perform. Choose one and press enter on it.

Jimmy

At work, I am getting increasing numbers of scanned image PDF files.

I have the K1000 software from Kurzweil, but still need to get a scanner to
interface with that program.

In the meantime, can someone give me a quick summary of the key commands
that are used to do the OCR recognition via Jaws 13 in Windows 7, at least
for the time being?

I consulted the help file in Jaws 13, but got what seemed to be confusing
instructions.

The help file said to use the insert key, plus the space bar and the letter
S to start the reading, but I could never get it to work. Perhaps I'm doing

the key conbination incorrectly.

Again, I'm using Jaws 13, with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Lisa, Mike, and Gary:

Thanks for the clarifications on the OCR feature in Jaws.

I'll give your suggestions a try, and let you know how they work for me here.

Dr. Tom Behler in Michigan

At work, I am getting increasing numbers of scanned image PDF files.

I have the K1000 software from Kurzweil, but still need to get a scanner
interface with that program.

In the meantime, can someone give me a quick summary of the key commands
that are used to do the OCR recognition via Jaws 13 in Windows 7, at least
for the time being?

I consulted the help file in Jaws 13, but got what seemed to be confusing
instructions.

The help file said to use the insert key, plus the space bar and the
letter
S to start the reading, but I could never get it to work. Perhaps I'm
doing
the key conbination incorrectly.

Again, I'm using Jaws 13, with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Thanks, Jimmy.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

You're welcome. My answer might have made more since if I had put
INSERT+SPACE BAR. There is something to be said for proof reading what you
writing Smile

Jimmy