Jaws 12 or 13 & windows 7?

Lauren

Hi,

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Cy Selfridge

Lauren,
Well, were it me I would probably opt for Apple but then you would need to
get something to replace Word and Outlook.
W8 is out and several users have tried it with JAWS 14. It seems to work
alright.
For my purposes I would go for W7 though.
Cy

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Dave...

JAWS 11 through 14 all work with Windows 7. Even some builds of JAWS 10 work
with Windows 7. Don't know about Windows 8.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Dave...

Lauren,

As to Mac vs. PC, you should go to your local Apple store, making an
appointment with the Genius Bar to have them sit with you on a couple Macs
and let you try it out. Best way I know of to be sure.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Wel, defnitly windows8 would only work with 14 or above, and if you
manage to get it work on an earlyer version, expect serious problems.

On 30/11/2012, Farfar Carlson <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Lauren,

As to Mac vs. PC, you should go to your local Apple store, making an
appointment with the Genius Bar to have them sit with you on a couple Macs
and let you try it out. Best way I know of to be sure.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an

Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Gary King

Dave,
I wonder how many of those folks in an Apple store really know how to use the VoiceOver screen reader well enough to show how well it works with various applications. Even if you found a knowledgeable person, how long would you be able to spend working with a Mac in a store environment to get a good idea of how well a Mac would work for you?

In a Mac versus Windows PC discussion we had on the list a while ago, I recall that it was the opinion of those folks who had used both platforms that as long as you did simple tasks like email, Internet, playing a few tunes, etc, the Mac was quite usable. However, if you wanted to do serious office work, your productivity would be much better on a Windows-based PC with JAWS or another commercial screen reader. Microsoft has never made much effort to write their Office software to be accessible on the Mac platform, so a Mac user would need to find workable substitutes for Word Excel, etc.

Anyone planning to go to a Mac should ask lots of questions on the Mac user groups for the blind and listen to a number of podcasts that have been done on Mac accessibility. Blind Cool Tech has quite a few of those podcasts that may be helpful. I don't have the URLs for the user groups, so a little Google searching may be needed.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

emma goodwin <emma.sleeptalk@...>

People also can go to the white stick website. Tom Lawromer has a lot
of listserves that he gives that you can join. Alot of the mac and IOS
lists can be gotten there. www.whitestick.co.uk

On 11/30/12, Gary King <w4wkz@bellsouth.net> wrote:
[...]

SleepTalk in action

Lauren

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Tom Lange

Hi,
Both JAWS 12 and 13 will work fine with Windows 7. Only JAWS 14 will work with Windows 8, or at least that's my understanding.

I really like the idea of going with a Mac at some point in the future, but there would be a considerable learning curve involved. The good news is that if a new Mac has a touchpad and you're already used to using an IOS device, navigating using the touchpad will be similar to what you'd do on an iPhone or iPad. I like that idea a lot, as I'm an avid iPhone user.

Tom

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Dave...

Gary,

True, but setting an appointment and specifically asking for that service
would help. And then being insistent and persistent with the staff. Only way
we can get their attention.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Or, you can visit http://www.blindaccesstraining.com/ and fill out the
contact us form and a trainer will be in contact with you and would be happy
to answer any questions you have concerning the mac.-----Original
Message-----

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I have spoken with a couple of people in the past where they had terrible
experiences with reps in apple stores and didn't receive good help.
However, that doesn't mean squat but I am just responding to the statement
about reps in the stores and how much they know how to use voice over and
provide demonstration.
For that very same reason is why I decided to provide voice over training at
BlindAccessTraining.com, because the entire team is comprised of totally
blind individuals and have experience working with what we advertise.
So, when folks tell me that reps over at apple are the friendliest and most
helpful folks you will be able to find, well, I don't care if they are
friendly but can you "help?"
I use pages to do a lot of the word processing and use numbers on my IPhone
to use numbers, the spread sheet app akinda to excel.
I like all flavors, windows and the mac and have no preference over the
other, btw.

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Dave...

Kimsan,

I'm sure that a majority of Apple" genius-helpers are incompetent when
knowing how to help a blind person navigate a MAC using voiceover. I've
already run into more than one, just with the iPod and iPhone setups.
However I've also managed to educate more than one by helping them help me.
Once we get voiceover turned on, I insist on their sitting with me for some
keystrokes to get me going, and then I just play around on my own and the
so-called "genius" also learns.

I know we aren't supposed to train them, but how else will they learn? And
yes, their attention span resembles that of a gnat on caffeine, like so many
of the usual customers.

I try to always take more than what they have to offer.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

George B

hay you know what i have to say this but what does this have to do with
jaws???

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8
with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software
like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

George B

and like i said why don't you both take this to a apple list...lol

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8
with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software
like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lauren

If I buy a new PC with Windows 8 and I need to upgrade to Jaws 14, is that very expensive and how accessible is Windows 8 given that it's a touch screen environment I believe? Am I safer to go with Windows 7 and Jaws 12 or 13?

I need to get a laptop soon and am trying to buy something that will work for me without having to take out a mortgage.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Lauren

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8 with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Dave...

Go for Windows 7 and JAWS 11, 12, 13, or 14, depending on what you already
have.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8
with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

George,
I just thought I would chime in and give my two cents lol.
Remember this mailing list isn't that strict, we can go off topic for days!
Lol.

Hope yu are doing well buddy.

and like i said why don't you both take this to a apple list...lol

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows
8
with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or
switch
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software
like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren
scrubbed...

emma goodwin <emma.sleeptalk@...>

If you don't have Jaws then it may be a bit pricy but once you have a
licence then you only have to pay an upgrade fee to the next version
unless you skip a few versions and then you have to pay a lot. I
didn't have problems with Jaws 13. Some people had but it all depends
again on what you want to do. A mac is great but the fact is that you
have to use it regularly and its true that you don't have to pay for
extra software but unless you know what apps you can use, you may use
windows based programs more and then win7 and Jaws is better. I am not
sure if you can still get a new licence for the older versions of
Jaws, I know freedom still has them on their website but maybe buy
Jaws 13 and a SMA and then upgrade to Jaws 14 when you ready. I have
downloaded Jaws 14 but I haven't used it yet. I am waiting for some of
the bugs to be fixed because I hear their are too many issues and
things that have to be sorted out. All of the best on your decisions.

On 12/1/12, Farfar Carlson <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Go for Windows 7 and JAWS 11, 12, 13, or 14, depending on what you already
have.

Dave Carlson

Would Jaws 12 or 13 work with Windows 7 and has anyone used Windows 8
with
Jaws 14?

I have to buy a new laptop and wonder which OS I should buy or switch to
an
Apple where I don't have to shell out money for upgrades of software
like
Jaws, but can't afford any less accessibility as I am totally blind.

Any advice please, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lauren
SleepTalk in action

Gary King

Windows 8 is not a touch screen environment unless you buy a computer with a touch screen; it's just set up to use a touch screen if you have one. If you are familiar with Windows 7 and happy with it, it would probably be better for you to stick with it since Windows 8 has an entirely new layout to learn. I would suspect that Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft as long as your new computer will last.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net