JAWS losing focus?

Karoline Bourdeau <karoline.bourdeau@...>

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dave...

Yes, Happens to me a lot, even if the page is completely loaded. Alt+tab a
couple times, and even sometimes need to minimize IE and maximize again to
get it focused.

And I always have to press Ctrl+F6 to get out of the upper
address/favorites/search section. Very easy to get stuck in that tar-baby of
IE.

And yes, it's frustrating. In some particularly severe cases I even need to
use my JAWS cursor to find some text on the web page and press left click to
"wake up" the page into focus.

JAWS 13 and 14 both do this.

Using IE8. Windows 7.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Abby Vincent <aevincent@...>

This happens to me often. I lose focus especially just after I've entered
something, such as in an edit box. I haven't tried lately, but earlier this
year, FS tech support said it's a windows problem. I did have a sighted
person try the same action without using JAWS. No loss of focus. I hope
someone on the list will have a fix, but I'm pretty sure it's an issue that
JAWS needs to address.
Abby

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dave...

They said it was a Windows problem? I find that almost humorous. That's like
blaming the ocean for getting you wet when you swim in it. JAWS is supposed
to work with Windows, not in spite of it.

I wonder which Tech had the audacity to suggest that?

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dave...

And Abbie, I'm not saying you're wrong -- I actually believe that someone in
Tech Support told you that.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Lisa Larges

I've experienced this as well -- some with Internet Explorer, but especially
with FireFox.
In fact, I just opened FireFox to check which version I had, and there it
was again.
This seems to happen more with JAWS14. In general I've found that JAWS14 and
FireFox don't play as well together as JAWS13 did.
Along with JAWS14 I'm running FireFox 16.02 and IE 8. I downgraded from IE9
to IE8 and found that it's a bit more stable.

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Abby Vincent <aevincent@...>

Is the address/search tar baby part of IE or Google? I have the same
problem of getting stuck. I did manage to remove it, but when I went to the
IE page again, it came back up. The JAWS cursor and ctrl-f6 methods do
work, but I'd really like to get rid of it completely. As far as I know, it
does nothing that can't be done in a less annoying way.
Abby

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dave...

Abby,

I know of no way to remove that stuff. Agree that it's superfluous, and just
a tool for folks with vision.

But no joy, I think we're never going to find a way to remove it, unless
someone clever can find a way to exorcised it from the registry or create an
add-on that squelches it.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Try one of the after-market uninstall programs like Revo Uninstall, an app mentioned by several of us on this list. I somehow picked up a Google bar (sounds like something with chocolate and nuts, doesn't it?), and that program nixed it.

Ted

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dave...

Ted,

Worth a try, but I suspect that revo uninstall just removes tool bars, and
not the entire address bar - favorites bar - search bar area.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

You never can tell. I don't use them for anything save the occasional query, and didn't even know the fool thing was there, until I check the list of potential programs.

Ted

Worth a try, but I suspect that revo uninstall just removes tool bars, and not the entire address bar - favorites bar - search bar area.

Dave Carlson
Tastefully composed and launched near the Pacific Ocean using a Dell Latitude E6520, JAWS 14, and Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Ted & Dave,

The Google toolbar can be removed through the control panel. Also, the revo
uninstaller will remove any leftover remnants of a program / toolbar, such
as crap that a program will leave in the registry or in folders like the
application folder in your name or owner folder on the root of the C drive.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.

Worth a try, but I suspect that revo uninstall just removes tool bars, and
not the entire address bar - favorites bar - search bar area.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

dave grossoehme

Good Morning: I'm not surprised about Freedom Scientific's response on this
problem. Loosing focus goes back several versions in different
applications. The earliest version of Jaws was back in version 6 that this
problem started showing up for me. Sometimes you can alt+tab a time or more
to get rid of the problem. At times you are forced to shut Jaws down and
restart it. In version 13/14 I'm noticed it the worst, where you are forced
to shutdown and restart the computer to regain sound when reading messages
in Outlook 10 with Windows 7 on an Hp computer. Considering I have had this
problem on many different applications on my work computer I didn't even
think about reporting the problem.
Your Friend Dave

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

George Marshall

I have this los of focus each time I enter Outlook 2003.

George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Is this focus thing jaws fault, or the actual programs you are using
fault? Just wunder about that? How do we make sure of that? Quite
tricky.

On 30/11/2012, George Marshall <marshall.geoma4@gmail.com> wrote:
I have this los of focus each time I enter Outlook 2003.

George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I
was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Adrian Spratt

Not tricky at all. If such a problem occurs with JAWS and not otherwise,
probabilities are high that it's JAWS.

A more difficult question is why JAWS acts this way on some systems but not
on others. I do not experience JAWS losing focus as I switch in and out of
Outlook 2003, but many people do. The answers must lie with the video
drivers or other computer-specific hardware or programming. I wish FS were
willing to publish a list of computer parts that work or don't work with
JAWS based on in-house tests and user reports.

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the
web, JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to
where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

scrubbed...
201211
29/8c014b41/attachment.html>

Dave...

Aidan,

Since the whole concept of "focus" is related to JAWS being focused in a
particular application, I think it's safe to say that it's related to JAWS
and not the application. After all, a person with sight can see the
application, unless they are not wearing their glasses.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I
was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dave...

Mike,

Yes, and I can remove the Google Toolbar and other toolbars very easily
using Add/Remove programs in the control panel or in the Programs and
Features dialog.

What I'm referring to is the area in IE where you find the address,
favorites bar, the search field and search preference, and the tab for the
current page. How do I get rid of all that cr**p so I don't get stuck in
there?

Dave Carlson

Worth a try, but I suspect that revo uninstall just removes tool bars, and
not the entire address bar - favorites bar - search bar area.

Dave Carlson

I am not sure how to fix this. When I am in a window say reading the web,
JAWS would lose focus. I have to shift tab twice to get back to where I was.

Anyone else?

Thanks.

Aidan Maher <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Maybe try to disable them from the tools menu. I agree that freedom
should actually provide more info about components to avoid and wich
works best. I've learned that any gigabite component could cause
problems so I rather stay away from it.

On 01/12/2012, Farfar Carlson <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]

Good Day George: If you have the option for Jaws turned on you can hear
Jaws say no focus. After you hear that spoken Jaws goes quiet. I've had
many different sighted people standing at my side when this happens and they
see no difference in the screen. We even have a scripter that works with
Jaws on a daily basis of which his name is Larry Gasmann. I've work with
this problem in different ways in order to get rid of it. Sometimes the
refresh keys ofJaws will work, or using the esc key sometimes, but neither
of these options work with Jaws 14 in Windows7 and Outlook 10.
Your Friend Dave