From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Peter Donahue
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:21 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Petition A Waste

Hello everyone,

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Thank you.

PHILLIP TRACY <tracyp4390@...>

It's all about attitude. A petition is never a waste, at least your voice is being heard. Whether or not something is done about it, well that's another issue, but at least you have your say. It's much better than being silent. Being silent and doing nothing absolutely guarantees that nothing will be done.

Phillip Tracy
Sent from my iPhone.

On Oct 2, 2012, at 1:22 PM, "Peter Donahue" <pdonahue2@satx.rr.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

PHILLIP TRACY <tracyp4390@...>

Alright Peter, then get to developing my friend. Most of us are not developers.

Phillip Tracy
Sent from my iPhone.

On Oct 2, 2012, at 1:22 PM, "Peter Donahue" <pdonahue2@satx.rr.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

peter, are you offering your own vast programming knowledge for this, or perhaps to go find some venture capital or seed money for this? If you're still an "federationalist", get them involved too. Come back to us consumers when you have a powerful product ready to show us that is as customizable as JFW. I'oll be interested as a consumer when you have something that does a better job then Jaws plus Hot Spot Clicker, CakeTalking, and several other rather involved script packages I use on a daily basis.

I think we understand your position. If you don't want to sign the petition, nobody is holding a gun to your head to do so.

At 02:21 PM 10/2/2012, you wrote:
Hello everyone,

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Agreed. What is your background, Peter, as it relates to your proposed screen reader? And, are you still expecting all involved to donate hundreds if not thousands of man hours to this, as you suggested a week or two ago? Of course, name your screen reader agape ...

At 02:44 PM 10/2/2012, you wrote:
Alright Peter, then get to developing my friend. Most of us are not developers.

CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and mastering: http://www.ctsmastering.com
BLOG: www.ctsmastering.com/blog

Dave...

To that I say -- Har`rumph!

Dave Carlson

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Shawn Keen <shawn.keen@...>

Don't we have a screen reader out there all ready that fits the mold? it's called NVDA.

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

*LOL* yeah Peter, why not donate your predigious skills to that project?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net>
Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Peter Donahue

Good afternoon everyone,

God only knows where we would be if Ted Henter, Doug Laller and others
expressed such an attitude.

Peter Donahue

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product
giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products
in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Selfless love, open-mouthed amazement, or both?

Ted

At 02:44 PM 10/2/2012, you wrote:
Alright Peter, then get to developing my friend. Most of us are not
developers.

CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and mastering:
http://www.ctsmastering.com
BLOG: www.ctsmastering.com/blog

Jon Pierson <joncpierson@...>

Hi Peter,
First there is no saying that any programmers will be doing both and can't a
group of people handle two simultaneous goals?
And "stupid"? Could you be a little more specific in your criticism.
I would hate to think that the implication is that only the dumbest people
would knowingly choose to do what you call "stupid".

Jon

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading product giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access products in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Our reaction wasn't to the idea of blind programmers developing the next screen reader. That's a good idea. I won't speak for Dave Carlson, but my reaction was to you personally Peter. I'm sorry you didn't take it as such.

At 04:15 PM 10/2/2012, you wrote:
Good afternoon everyone,

God only knows where we would be if Ted Henter, Doug Laller and others
expressed such an attitude.

Peter Donahue

Tastefully composed and launched near the Pacific Ocean using a
Dell

Yup the same resources that could be put to better use
assembling
programmers to develop a newer and innovative screen reading
product
giving
the blind community another choice when selecting a screen
reader. It was
blind programmers that conceived and developed the current crop
of screen
reading products now available to us. It will take an equally
ambitious
group of blind programmers to develop even better screen access
products
in
the future. This is a far better use of time and brain power
than a stupid
petition.

Peter Donahue

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

haha both. love and, amazement that it got done.

At 02:44 PM 10/2/2012, you wrote:
Alright Peter, then get to developing my friend. Most of us are not
developers.

CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and mastering:
http://www.ctsmastering.com
BLOG: www.ctsmastering.com/blog

Robert Logue <bobcat11@...>

Please don't get stuck on all the reasons things don't get better.

On 10/2/2012 12:44 PM, PHILLIP TRACY wrote:
[...]

Dave Carlson just thinks that Peter is blowing smoke. He should put his time
and money where his mouth starts.

Dave Carlson

[...]

robert hebert <roberthebert@...>

Peter, you must be extremely altruistic since by the time we trained all
those blind people in such technical expertise and by the time they all got
together to form a company, obtained financing produced and distributed the
product, most of us on this list would likely have passed on. So while in
the long run your idea sounds great, as John Maynard Keynse said "in the
long run, we are all dead."