From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@KutakRock.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:22 PM
Subject: A Modest Proposal

I have unashamedly borrowed the subject of this message for the purpose of
highlighting issues that have so often been vented on this and, doubtless,
other lists.
Many of us have talked about putting pressure on Freedom Scientific to fix
bugs and take care of known issues before introducing new features which, it
seems, introduce bugs almost randomly through the program. Alas, it seems
that there is no way effectively to get a message that means something to
Freedom Scientific.

What if we, the users, called for a feature moratorium? I'm talking about a
request that Freedom Scientific introduce no new features until it has fixed
known issues.
Now, how would we bring pressure to bear on Freedom Scientific to get it to
do that?
One way is an old-fashioned petition drive. When thousands of users sign a
petition demanding action, that's hard for any company to ignore.
Now, let's raise the stakes a little. What if this petition is on the
Internet such that searches for terms like "JAWS," "Freedom Scientific,"
"screen reader," and the like would bring up a petition signed by thousands
of users demanding a stable screen reader?
OK, let's raise the stakes even higher. Let's say that those who signed the
petition felt so strongly that they were willing to put their money where
their mouth is? In other words, what if we were able to sacrifice an SMA,
in effect, saying that we would be willing, as it were, to spend one SMA
just to get a stable, reliable, dependable screen reader -- no jazzy
gimmicks that introduce bugs.
Personally, if JAWS 14 is built on the JAWS 13 platform, I have little hope
that even half the bugs introduced in JAWS 13 will be fixed. Let alone the
ones that existed before. Nevertheless, I would be willing to sign (and
to start) such a petition.
There is such a petition site on the Internet. It is called Change.Org.
One of my clients found a petition signed by students protesting a student
debit-card plan that a number of schools cram down students' throats.
Well, there is nothing worse than a petition signed by one. I'm putting
this idea out there for comment and refinement. Clearly, there are details
I have not thought about. Comment is invited.
I hope some self-appointed moderator does not claim this is off-topic. I
cannot think of anything more JAWS-related.
What do you think? I say, instead of just complaining, let's do something
about it!

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640
Facsimile: 816.960.0041
Kutak Rock LLP
1010 Grand Boulevard
Suite 500
Kansas City, MO 64106
ed.marquette@kutakrock.com

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Guido Corona <aloysiusq@...>

Uhrn.... Peter.... Are you volunteering your talent?

Guido

[...]

message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this
E-mail message.
Thank you.
09/23/12

-----
No virus found in this message.
09/23/12

robert hebert <roberthebert@...>

If we were all such avid programmers we could simply write corrective
scripts for Jaws itself---I mean, why reinvent the whole wheel?

[...]

Soronel Haetir

The reason being that with pure scripts you only ave access to those
things the script language (or library) writer give you. That is not
the case when you have access to the entire screen reader source.