Questions about Putting Your Computer to Sleep

Dani Pagador

Hi, Everyone.
I'm considering putting my computer to sleep when I'm away from it for long
periods of time. Is this a recommended option, or should I shut down and
just restart? Does JFW react badly when the computer is put to sleep? And if
I put it to sleep, how do I wake the computer up?
Thanks for taking the time to answer these basic questions.
More Later,
Dani

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Dani. I put my computer to sleep frequently, because I don't have air conditioning, and my apartment can reach 100 degrees which could endanger the CPU. I usually don't have trouble with JAWS because I put my computer to sleep. However, I have heard from others that putting the computer to sleep can be a problem once it wakes up. Apparently certain things are either not retained in memory, or something may be corrupted in the memory, not in the actual JAWS files.

Then there is the question of the operating system. JAWS might react differently between Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 etc.

Also there are actually two different ways to "put the computer to sleep". The first way is the conventional "Stand-by method. The second is the "hybernate" method. This involves the writing of what is in memory to the hard disk, then when the computer "wakes up", the memory is rewritten from the disk.

Concerning your final question, depending upon your power settings, you may wake the computer by moving a mouse, by pressing a key such as the PC Cursor key, or by briefly depressing the power button. With the final method, take care not to hold the power button, or it may shut down the computer.

I hope this has helped you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7492 (20120918) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7492 (20120918) __________

http://www.eset.com

Dani Pagador

Hi, Bill.
Yes, the info you provided does help. Do you use the stand-by method or the
hibernate method?
Thanks,
Dani

I'm considering putting my computer to sleep when I'm away from it for
long
periods of time. Is this a recommended option, or should I shut down and
just restart? Does JFW react badly when the computer is put to sleep? And
if
I put it to sleep, how do I wake the computer up?
Thanks for taking the time to answer these basic questions.
More Later,
Dani

signature database 7492 (20120918) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 7492 (20120918) __________

http://www.eset.com

Dave...

Sleep is good. The way to put to sleep and to bring out of sleep is
dependent on your computer and your power settings. We can't help you with
that.

Dave Carlson

I'm considering putting my computer to sleep when I'm away from it for long
periods of time. Is this a recommended option, or should I shut down and
just restart? Does JFW react badly when the computer is put to sleep? And if
I put it to sleep, how do I wake the computer up?
Thanks for taking the time to answer these basic questions.
More Later,
Dani

Dave...

Standby is better. Hibernate takes longer to shut down and start up.

Dave Carlson

I'm considering putting my computer to sleep when I'm away from it for
long
periods of time. Is this a recommended option, or should I shut down and
just restart? Does JFW react badly when the computer is put to sleep? And
if
I put it to sleep, how do I wake the computer up?
Thanks for taking the time to answer these basic questions.
More Later,
Dani

signature database 7492 (20120918) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 7492 (20120918) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I use the stand-by method, because the come-back time is faster than it would be waiting for it to write from hard disk to ram.
[...]

Hi, again, Dani. One other thing I neglected to discuss is that whichever method you use to put the computer to sleep, it can take anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute to re-acquire your Internet connection, once you wake it up. You may hear an announcement that an Ethernet cable is unplugged. Don't worry about this. If you can get your e-mail, and use your Internet browser, all is well.