From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of William Sallander
Sent: September 13, 2012 10:22 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Google Chrome and jaws 14 beta

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Dave...

James,

I've used both Firefox and IE with the same application during a given day.
Firefox would lock up, or cause JAWS to crash after 20 minutes or so of
interaction. IE would usually run fine for three times as long.

I use Firefox because it does a better job working with all the forms and
elements than does IE. Reliability vs. Functionality.

I think it's JAWS, however that is just not happy with Firefox.

Firefox 15.0.1
IE 8.0.760
JFW 13.0.924

Dave Carlson

I don't believe Chrome is built on the Mozilla platform, but I also don't
pay much attention to Chrome as the few times I've fought with it, I ended
up just removing it and using something else. I've noticed, though, that
I've been needing to refresh the screen more frequently when pages update
while using either Firefox or IE on a 32-bit XP system running JAWS 13, so
I'm not entirely sure what the issue is.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Soronel Haetir

I can say for sure that chroam uses the firefox scripts etc for jaws
(including the jcf), it's in my config-names.ini and I didn't put it
there. This does tend to make me think that Google at least started
by using some version of the mozilla gecko engine rather than starting
from scratch (gecko is the actual layout/rending system that Firefox
is built around).

On 9/14/12, James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:
I don't believe Chrome is built on the Mozilla platform, but I also don't
pay much attention to Chrome as the few times I've fought with it, I ended
up just removing it and using something else. I've noticed, though, that
I've been needing to refresh the screen more frequently when pages update
while using either Firefox or IE on a 32-bit XP system running JAWS 13, so
I'm not entirely sure what the issue is.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Cristóbal

No kidding. I loved FireFox up until version 5 or so and then I started
getting all those crashing issues and major memory problems. From being an
almost exclusive Firefox user till that point to around 70% to 30 ratio now
IE/Firefox. Supposedly with the latest Firefox release Mozilla's taken care
of a lot of the memory problems, but I still notice a spike greater than
when I have IE open. I've heard too that Google Reader may be a cause of
this and I have recently removed Google Reader as one of my homepages in
Firefox for a bit to check it out. Who knows, but I sure would like for Jaws
to play nice like it used to with Firefox back in the day. Regardless if
it's an issue on Mozilla's side or the Jaws side.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

James Homuth

You're probably right, though in my case if it's a JAWS issue, it's a
recently grown one. IE 7 over here, latest JAWS 13. Firefox... Eh...
Probably up there in versions, but I'm not keen on fighting with it just to
get it to tell me.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

William Sallander <wsallander@...>

I did manage to download the latest FireFox and it seems to work a little bit better than Chrome when using the beta 14 version of Jaws.
I did notice however that sometimes it will loose focus.
Probably the best thing to do is at least put it in a bug report and see what happens from there.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Dave.

When I went to Firefox 15.01 yesterday, I was prompted to update an add-on.
That was simple enough, even though I've checked the automatic update
add-ons box. However, I then stumbled on a button to check for all add-on
updates. I determined that although most had already been updated, some must
be updated manually.

Three add-on/applications were not up to date, even though IE8 sees them as
updated. Two were Adobe Flash-related and the other was Java. Firefox gave
me a link to each update page, and I proceeded accordingly. Firefox's
performance improved immediately.

I emphasize how strange was the absence of updates of these three add-ons.
All my other add-ons were up to date, thanks to the automated updating
option. The three applications in question were up to date as far as IE was
concerned and the update programs I use for them. Moreover, Adobe Flash
Player 11 automatically updates itself, unlike previous AFP versions. (I'm
hoping that Firefox had only AFP 10 and that it, too, will accept automatic
updates from Adobe.)

You might want to go to Firefox's add-ons page and press the button to
update add-ons in case you have a similar situation.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

dave grossoehme

Good Afternoon: Is that the only program that you have to refresh the Jaws
screen with? I've noticed that I have to refresh my Jaws screen with every
message with Outlook 10 when I'm reading the inbox.
Your Friend Dave

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

William Sallander <wsallander@...>

As far as I can tell, Chrome is the only browser that I need to keep refreshing the screen on.
I'm messing with FireFox now and so far that seems to be fine.
I don't have Outlook 2010 so unfortunately I can't answer to that, but with Outlook 2007, it all seems fine.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need to
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Rose Combs <rosecombs@...>

I wish Outlook 2010 were fine. I had over 400 messages in one folder
yesterday and loaded 13 to read them after about 10 messages that were
either not read, that had previous messages in them or skipped the first
line or two, window maximized, only real changes I made was to have messages
read when open, to turn off link count and the info warning that tells me
blank lines have been removed all the time. However, I tried reading
messages with the original settings and it was no better.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

dave grossoehme

Good Morning: With Outlook 10 I can read the subject, date and persons name
with out refreshing. However, if you wish to read the message itself then
you have to refresh the screen each time. I had over 400 messages to read
this morning, after about 200 of these messages I was receiving a blank
screen and was forced to restart in order to correct this error.
Your Friend Dave

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Dave...

Report to FS.

Dave Carlson

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Adrian Spratt

But it's also good to learn of these problems on the list.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Dave...

Adrian,

Of course, but I didn't want someone to sit and wait for a consensus before
reporting anything to FS. They need to know quickly, and often. Beta cycles
happen fast, and we don't have much time before the "hard" release.

Dave Carlson

But it's also good to learn of these problems on the list.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Adrian Spratt

Agreed. But I didn't find any indication of value to this list in your post,
and I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged.

But it's also good to learn of these problems on the list.

Has anyone out there tried using Google Chrome with the Jaws 14 beta?
I've noticed that when going from one web page to another, I seem to need
refresh the Screen to read the current page.
I also believe this might be happening with Firefox since it is my
understanding that both Chrome and Firefox are built on the Mozilla
platform.
I'm using the 64 bit edition of the beta on a vista machine.

Rose Combs <rosecombs@...>

If you turn off the virtual cursor reading outlook messages returns to the
normal behavior, however, when you get those messages with odd formatting
you have to turn that setting back on to read them.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com