From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of David Greene
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 12:22 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Laptop question

Hi,
Soon I will be getting a new laptop and I am wondering what to be looking
for as it has been five or more years since I got this one, and I haven't
kept up with the latest. I am currently using a Dell Latitude 830 with XP
pro, Jaws 11, MS small business 2007, an extensive Bible program that takes
a lot of resources, IE8 and a few other smaller programs from time-to-time.
My laptop needs to be a work hoarse able to work for 12 to 14 hours a day.
Quite often I am running a few programs at the same time such as; Jaws,
Outlook, Word or Excel and my Bible program.
I will be upgrading to Jaws 14, and here is where I need some help. What
operating system size, features, memory...

Thanks for the thoughts, David.
David Greene

Marilyn Womble

I would appreciate the same information, please.
Marilyn

Soon I will be getting a new laptop and I am wondering what to be looking for as it has been five or more years since I got this one, and I haven't kept up with the latest. I am currently using a Dell Latitude 830 with XP pro, Jaws 11, MS small business 2007, an extensive Bible program that takes a lot of resources, IE8 and a few other smaller programs from time-to-time.
My laptop needs to be a work hoarse able to work for 12 to 14 hours a day. Quite often I am running a few programs at the same time such as; Jaws, Outlook, Word or Excel and my Bible program.
I will be upgrading to Jaws 14, and here is where I need some help. What operating system size, features, memory...

Thanks for the thoughts, David.
David Greene

Dave...

David,

Late to the line on this, but consider sticking with Dell. As my signature
line indicates I'm still on a Dell laptop and this one has the full
keyboard, making using JAWS the same as with a full-sized desktop keyboard.

It has an optional 9-cell battery pack that will give it about 6 hours
operation even with Wi-Fi turned on. Add another optional battery slice and
it increases to 11 hours.

It also has the docking (port replicator) feature.

And it has normal function keys so you don't have to mess with
reconfiguration or calling Tech Support.

Windows 7 on this runs like a dream. Now if they can just get JAWS to stop
being buggy, it would be a monster setup.

Dave Carlson