OmniPage Professional vs ABBYY FineReader Professional

Robert Logue <bobcat11@...>

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I did install the demo of the latest FineReader but don't find it all that intuitive to use. I mainly want to use it with my scanner. Can't figure how to intigrate it with the Plustek scanner utility yet so now must contact Plustek.

Now I know why people by OpenBook or Kurzweil 1000.

I'm going to give the online version of FineReader a try. Wish Nuance had one too.

Bob

On 9/8/2012 4:32 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
Bob,

I haven't used Abbey, but I'm extremely happy with OmniPage 18. I found
installation and registration difficult and had to call Nuance for
assistance. As I write, I don't recall what the obstacle was. But once past
that hurdle, all I have to do is highlight the PDF file, press the
applications key and arrow down to OmniPage. I press enter, and I'm
presented with a list of options, which include MS Word, WordPerfect, RTF,
text, and so on. I press enter on my choice, and OmniPage proceeds to
perform OCR. A new file is created in the chosen format.

The results are better than anything I tried before, including earlier
versions of OmniPage. But again, I haven't compared it to Abbey.