From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Crystal French
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 12:11 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: What? Windows 8?

Oh, good grief.

I'm working on getting a new computer right now, which will have Windows
7...

Now, they are putting out an 8.

At least, my Jaws is current, for whatever that is worth.

<sigh>

Crystal, who is never up to speed

Thank you.

Cristóbal

Research It is looking more and more like a feature that has outgrown its
purpose with all this "app" support. Can't say i used it much anyway.

On 2012-09-07, at 5:46 PM, "Mariea Harris" <mharris1979@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

There is no start menu, it's now called start screen. You can't press the letter to jump to things, but you can type a few letters and it will bring up options with those letters. You can type anywhere in the start screen and do this.

Mariea and Valiant

John ESherrer

Will we need JAWS since Narrator is greatly improved?
John Sherrer

I'm working on getting a new computer right now, which will have Windows
7...

Now, they are putting out an 8.

At least, my Jaws is current, for whatever that is worth.

<sigh>

Crystal, who is never up to speed

REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY,
INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN
TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING
PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney
work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Soronel Haetir

No matter how improved narrator is I have a difficult time believing
that MS has made the investment required to bring it on par with jaws.

On 9/7/12, John Sherrer <john@whitecane.org> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Cy Selfridge

Man, I would have a real hard time believing that Narrator could come within
a country mile as compared to VoiceOver.
Cy

On 2012-09-07, at 5:46 PM, "Mariea Harris" <mharris1979@carolina.rr.com>
wrote:

There is no start menu, it's now called start screen. You can't press the
letter to jump to things, but you can type a few letters and it will bring
up options with those letters. You can type anywhere in the start screen and
do this.

Mariea and Valiant

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

probably depends a lot on what you do with your computer. Personally, I use programs every day that rely on extensive jaws scripts.

At 11:10 PM 9/7/2012, you wrote:
[...]

And just a guess but no matter how much they've improved narrator they
have not done away with the need for scripts to get that last (or
sometimes even first bit) of accessibility, and they probably haven't
extended narrator to be scriptable.

Too bad UIA honestly isn't nearly as good at giving accessibility
information as having a display driver of some kind. And too bad many
programs no longer use the GDI rendering path so the older form of
display drivers don't work to give that information.

At 11:10 PM 9/7/2012, you wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

I hope Narrator never comes close to JAWS or other screenreaders designed
for visually impaired users. As critical as we can all be, FS and similar
companies ultimately respond to our needs. If MS caught up, we would become
beholden to a monster corporation for whom we are just a tiny sliver of
customer base.

[...]

Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@...>

If the past is anything to go by, I'd wait for windows nine and skip windows 8.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cristobal" <crismunoz54@gmail.com>