From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Mike Mote
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:15 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support mailing list
Subject: Laptop question

Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to
use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press
it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for
something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work
around this?

Ann Byrne

You probably need to redefine the function keys. Go to the mobility center and change something from media to the other choice. JAWS doesn't like the mobility center, so sighted help would really help. What???

At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work around this?

Soronel Haetir

The overloaded key behavior is non-default. You have to hit 'Fn'
(it's usually one of the keys on the space-bar row -- ask your wife)
at the same time as the overloaded key to trigger those actions.

On 8/16/12, Mike Mote <mikemote@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to
use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press
it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for
something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work
around this?
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Mike Mote <mikemote@...>

Adrian, I have switched to lap top lay-out. It appears that the function keys on this particular computer are not acting like normal F Keys. They have multimedia functions associated with them. Someone from FS told me that I would have to change the keyboard set-up in the computer's bios. I don't know how to do that though.

Mike, have you switched to laptop keyboard configuration? As I recall, it's
in JAWS basic settings.

I avoid the different key combinations by attaching a USB numpad and staying
with desktop keyboard.

In most cases, with the laptop keyboard, you substitute the caps lock key
for the insert key. That's why you'll often find listers writing "JAWS key"
instead of "insert." I know someone will post the exact keystroke you need
here.

Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to
use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press
it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for
something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work
around this?

Mike Mote <mikemote@...>

Where is the Mobility center?

At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work around this?

Dave...

Mike,

Sounds like you're not hitting the true Insert key, but instead the Fn key.
It may be in a completely different location than you're accustomed to. Like
Adrian suggested, you may want to switch over to the laptop layout and use
the Caps Lock key as your JAWS (Insert) key. Much easier on a laptop.

Dave Carlson

Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to
use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press
it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for
something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work
around this?

Dave...

Mike,

Mobility center is Windows+X. But this is for Windows 7 and possibly Vista.
So we're presuming you're using that OS.

Dave Carlson

At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability
to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I
press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling
for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do
I work around this?

Mike Mote <mikemote@...>

Yes, Dave. I am using Windows 7. I went into mobility center, but did not find any keyboard options.

At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability
to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I
press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling
for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do
I work around this?

Ann Byrne

press Windows key to get to the search dialog, and type 'mobility' and Windows will find it for you.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ann Byrne" <annakb@sbcglobal.net>
At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work around this?

Ann Byrne

When I went into mobility center and tabbed around, there was a function key button.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Mote" <mikemote@bellsouth.net>
At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the
issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability
to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I
press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling
for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do
I work around this?

Shawn Keen <shawn.keen@...>

windows key x should bring it up as well.

At 08:14 AM 8/16/2012, you wrote:
Hello folks! I have just purchased an HP laptop computer, and some of the issues I'm having are quite peculiar. The worst so far is the inability to use f7 with the insert to bring up a list of links in JAWS. When I press it, nothing happens. My wife tells me that the F keys are doubling for something else, like volume up and down and things like that. How do I work around this?

David Ingram

If you can, buy a u s b keyboard to use with your lap top. This way you can use the standard layout for the desk top when using jaws. I hope that this helps.