From: "Ali Abdolrahmani" <aabdolrahmani@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:28 AM
Subject: Jaws and Office 2010 Ribbon Shortcuts

hi listers

Sorry my last email was sent to the list without content.. i have the
following issues with office 2010 ribbon. any
help is highly appreciated.
1. when i turn on virtual ribbons, navigating the menues, jaws doesn't
say the shortcut keys so that i can memorize for later faster menu
choosing. is there a jaws key stroke so that i can use to receive the
ribbon item shortcut?

2. i decided to switch back to normal ribbon instead of virtual
ribbon. on each press of arrow keys to navigate the ribbon jaws says
"you are currently on the ribbon. to navigate the ribbon items press
tab and shift tab, etc ...". then after this long descriptive
repeatative text it announces the shortcutkey of that item. i tried a
lot to find how i can make jaws not to say this descriptive long text
so that i can easily hear the shortcut as soon as the item name is
told but i couldn't find the setting to do so. any idea?

Soronel Haetir

And for the second part, with the long description, what choice have
you made for the Verbosity setting?

To check that if you aren't sure, hit jaws+6 then type "Verbosity
level" in the search bar. If you are using an older version of jaws
that doesn't have the search feature it's still under the jaws+6
program but I forget the exact menu item name.

On 6/26/12, David Greene <revdgreene@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, did you try bringing Jaws to the focus, press alt, down arrow once to
options, press enter, the first set of boxes you land on will give you
some options for how Jaws speaks menus. Maybe this will help?
David Greene
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Dave...

Ali,

1. When I turn on virtual ribbons, navigating the menus, JAWS doesn't
say the shortcut keys so that I can memorize for later faster menu
choosing. Is there a JAWS key stroke so that I can use to receive the
ribbon item shortcut?

No. The virtual ribbon does not have shortcut keys. That's why I scrapped
it.
2. I decided to switch back to normal ribbon instead of virtual
ribbon. On each press of arrow keys to navigate the ribbon JAWS says
"You are currently on the ribbon. to navigate the ribbon items press
tab and shift tab, etc ...". Then after this long descriptive
repetitive text it announces the shortcut key of that item. I tried a
lot to find how I can make jaws not to say this descriptive long text
so that I can easily hear the shortcut as soon as the item name is
told, but I couldn't find the setting to do so. Any idea?

As suggested by another lister, you want to set your tutor to custom
messages only, and you may want to set your default verbosity to
intermediate or advanced. However the shortcuts will still be spoken as a
reminder of how to get there more quickly, and eventually you'll learn
some of the ones you use most often.
And as a suggestion for better redability of messages in E-Mail, may I
point out that the letter i should be capitalized when you refer to
yourself. Also first letter of any sentence should be a capital letter. As
I have edited above. I think that English is not your primary language, so
many of our writing styles may not be familiar to you. I only suggest to
help, and do not do so to offend.

Dave Carlson

[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Blind Access Training offers a training session on outlook 2010, please give
it a look here if interested:
http://www.blindaccesstraining.com/training_opportunities/Using_Outlook_2010
_with_jaws_or_Window_eyes.php.
p.s now I might get in trouble.

[...]

Ali Abdolrahmani

David! Thanks for noting me this obvious thing:) I don't know why I
hadn't seen that easy setting. I do thank you for your help.

Ann! I would be happy if you send me them.

Soronel! It is advanced. My problem was what David noted and I had
forgotten to change that setting.

Dave! Thanks for your hint. I knew the point but sometimes since I am
used to type in office and it does the style itself, I sometimes
forget to be careful about it when I type in gmail editor. I use basic
html setting and it doesn't do the correction itself. I would be so
happy if I learn from each of you dear listers. Each of you has great
experiences that may promote my knowledge and I appreciate it a lot.

Regards
Ali

On 6/27/12, Kimsan <kimsansong@aol.com> wrote:
[...]

Best Regards