From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Deb and Cori
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 8:59 PM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Subject: a question about empty documents

I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that does
not convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something else?

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

that's because the document was scanned, and the pdf just contains the scanned images. Boy does this one come up a lot here!
You have a few choices:
1. use Jaws 13's convenient OCR to read one screen at a time. This is the least elegant.
2. Run the file through OCR software, such as K1000 or OpenBook for the blind, or just about any off the shelf OCR program such as OmniPage or FineReader.
3. Print the file on paper and scan the pages.
4. Most beneficial would be making your boss aware of the problem, and siting relevant accessibility legislation.

At 08:59 PM 6/22/2012, you wrote:
I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that does not convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something else?

Andrew J. LaPointe

I know that when I get a blank doc while in a pDF or something else, I scan it with open book and it brings out the information... I just print the Doc to Openbook's Freedom Printer and there it is.. Andy

I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that does not
convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something else?

Eric Ngondi

any links to the said ocr program? will appreciate.thanks.

On 6/23/12, A.J. LaPointe <alapointe89@comcast.net> wrote:
I know that when I get a blank doc while in a pDF or something else, I scan

it with open book and it brings out the information... I just print the Doc

to Openbook's Freedom Printer and there it is.. Andy

I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that does
not
convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something
else?

-------------------------------------
ERIC N. NGONDI
+0720963825

ensambi@yahoo.co.uk

Adrian Spratt

There are several OCR options. I use OmniPage 18, which is software-only. It
costs in the neighborhood of $100, perhaps a little more and possibly a
little less when on sale. The manufacturer is Nuance.

OpenBook and Kurzweil are reading machines that include OCR capability.

There are other options that have been covered many times on this list and
elsewhere. You could Google those discussions.

I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that
does not convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something
else?

Dave...

ok is a Freedom Scientific product. www.freedomscientific.com

Dave Carlson

I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that does
not
convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something
else?

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

uh Freedom Scientific.

At 09:16 AM 6/23/2012, you wrote:
any links to the said ocr program? will appreciate.thanks.

On 6/23/12, A.J. LaPointe <alapointe89@comcast.net> wrote:
I know that when I get a blank doc while in a pDF or something
else, I scan

it with open book and it brings out the information... I just
print the Doc

to Openbook's Freedom Printer and there it is.. Andy

I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something
that does
not
convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it
something
else?

Rose Combs <rosecombs@...>

Your last solution does not work, trust me, I cannot ever convince anyone
that scanned image files are of little use to me and since I have Jaws 9 at
work I have to send such documents home then come home, use the Jaws OCR to
see if it is really something I need to have, then run it through Open Book
printer function. When I really get upset with this is if the scanned
document is only a few lines long.

Sending an attachment of five or lines that could have been copied into the
e-mail message is also another thing that annoys me at work because if I
have our transcription platform loaded I can't open .dox attachments without
exiting the whole thing and then I usually have to reboot the computer after
reading a document which is often time less than a page.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com

At 08:59 PM 6/22/2012, you wrote:
I have the latest in adobe and still, at times, I get something that
does not convert. It says empty document.
This happens more at work on our computers there.
Is it that it is a picture of words such as captcha or is it something
else?

Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free:
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt