What Happened To Popular CAPTCHA Solving Tools?

Kane Brolin

Lately I've had fewer problems with the dreaded CAPTCHA than I used to
have, given that more and more sites are building in a form of audible
solution. But recently, while attempting to fill out an e-mail form
in Internet Explorer, I ran across a purely visual CAPTCHA that
prevented me from sending the message. Having used Firefox with
Webvisum previously, I installed Firefox and then installed the
Webvisum add-on--only to find that Webvisum.com is now an inactive
domain and that there is no server at the other end of the equation to
help us solve visual CAPTCHA through this tool.l. Then, to my true
dismay, I looked for Solona and found that this service appears to be
down as well, its domain inactive and for sale.

What have I missed? Maybe I am channeling the spirit of Rip Van
Winkel and have slept through several years. Why are these services
down? Has anything replaced them? or have I just picked a bad night
to do this? As recently as February of 2012, I've noted listserv
entries that make casual reference to Solona and Webvisum.

Thanks to all for any enlightenment you can provide.

Kind regards,

-Kane

Raymond Lombardi <ray214@...>

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir

The final breakdown of webvisum is fairly recent (within the last
couple weeks), if not even closer to the present. Solona has been
gone for quite awhile (at least a year, possibly even two by now).

On 6/20/12, Kane Brolin <kbrolin65@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

I find that very interesting because whenever I start Firefox I get a
webvisum login error, and as was stated by the OP the webvisum domain
is now expired (if you go to webvisum.com you get a godaddy
placeholder page).

On 6/20/12, Raymond Lombardi <ray214@gmail.com> wrote:

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

cecropia64

FUNNY THING IS THAT THEY NEVER LET ANYBODY KNOW THAT THEY MIGHTT NOT BE COMING BACK. I KNOW IT'S A FREEBIE, BUT YOU'D THINK THEY'D LET A USER KNOW. ALSO, IF THEY WERE ALWAYS HURTING FOR MONEY, WHY NOT SELL WEB VISUM TO SOMEBODY WHO WANTED TO CONTINUE? JUST A THOUGHT.

I find that very interesting because whenever I start Firefox I get a
webvisum login error, and as was stated by the OP the webvisum domain
is now expired (if you go to webvisum.com you get a godaddy
placeholder page).

On 6/20/12, Raymond Lombardi <ray214@gmail.com> wrote:

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Gary King

Maybe they didn't have enough money to pay the bills. I really didn't use WEBVISUM that much, but if its gone forever, I'm sure I'll find sites I can't use because they have CAPTCHAS I can't solve. I've always thought my hearing was pretty good, but the audio versions that some sites have don't help me much.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

I find that very interesting because whenever I start Firefox I get a
webvisum login error, and as was stated by the OP the webvisum domain
is now expired (if you go to webvisum.com you get a godaddy
placeholder page).

On 6/20/12, Raymond Lombardi <ray214@gmail.com> wrote:

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

Well, the thing to keep in mind with webvisum, until recently the
program was working but there was absolutely no movement on continued
development or support. So I suspect that the site ran however long
it was paid for having been forgotten about long before that. For
whatever reason the developer lost interest (or maybe they died for
all I know).

On 6/20/12, cecropia64 <cecropia64@att.net> wrote:
FUNNY THING IS THAT THEY NEVER LET ANYBODY KNOW THAT THEY MIGHTT NOT BE
COMING BACK. I KNOW IT'S A FREEBIE, BUT YOU'D THINK THEY'D LET A USER KNOW.

ALSO, IF THEY WERE ALWAYS HURTING FOR MONEY, WHY NOT SELL WEB VISUM TO
SOMEBODY WHO WANTED TO CONTINUE? JUST A THOUGHT.
I find that very interesting because whenever I start Firefox I get a
webvisum login error, and as was stated by the OP the webvisum domain
is now expired (if you go to webvisum.com you get a godaddy
placeholder page).

On 6/20/12, Raymond Lombardi <ray214@gmail.com> wrote:

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

cecropia64

you got that right. what are some of gonna do? deal i guess. maybe somebody will come up with something new that works for all. wouldn't it be nice to have jaws be able to do this? yeas, it would.

Maybe they didn't have enough money to pay the bills. I really didn't use WEBVISUM that much, but if its gone forever, I'm sure I'll find sites I can't use because they have CAPTCHAS I can't solve. I've always thought my hearing was pretty good, but the audio versions that some sites have don't help me much.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net
I find that very interesting because whenever I start Firefox I get a
webvisum login error, and as was stated by the OP the webvisum domain
is now expired (if you go to webvisum.com you get a godaddy
placeholder page).

On 6/20/12, Raymond Lombardi <ray214@gmail.com> wrote:

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Gerald Levy

You can thank Mozilla for the demise of Webvisum. They released new versions of Firefox at such an accelerated rate that the Webvisum development team probably grew sick and tired of trying to keep up with them and finally threw in the towel.

Gerald

I find that very interesting because whenever I start Firefox I get a
webvisum login error, and as was stated by the OP the webvisum domain
is now expired (if you go to webvisum.com you get a godaddy
placeholder page).

On 6/20/12, Raymond Lombardi <ray214@gmail.com> wrote:

Web vism is still active. I still use it.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Raymond Lombardi <ray214@...>

I updated to the latest version of firefox and webvism works very well for me.

Gerald Levy

Really? Have you tried to solve a captcha with Webvisum within the last two days? If so, you would have gotten a server connection error when you launched Firefox. Webvisum is apparently gone for good, as has been widely reported here and on other lists. So I find it hard to believe that it is still working for you but nobody else. Try it again now and tell us whether it is still working.

Gerald

I updated to the latest version of firefox and webvism works very well for me.

Raymond Lombardi <ray214@...>

that really bites.

They shouldn't have taken it down!

Gerald Levy

I'm afraid that Webvisum is gone for good. So if you launch Firefox now, you will get a server connection error and Webvisum will no longer work. This means that as of now, there is no way for us blind computer users to solve image captchas without sighted help.

Gerald