From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:11 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Doodle Polls

Hello:
I belong to an organization which periodically needs to schedule meetings.
The person who proposes the meeting uses a Web product called Doodle. It
is
a kind of on-line polling mechanism. The person who initiates the poll
picks a range of dates and invites members to pick their availability.
The poll then automatically computes from those who participate the best
date, that is, the date upon which the most people are available.
This is all done via a Website. What else?
The site, to my way of thinking, is kind of a mess. It is one where the
Web
programmers went out of their way to create something that is inaccessible.
A simple table with check boxes would have been so much easier.
Of course, perhaps its apparent accessibility challenges may simply be my
own ineptitude.
Wondering if anyone on the list has been able to navigate successfully a
Doodle Poll?
Actually, I finally managed to get through the thing, not with JAWS and my
PC, but rather with my iPhone.
Regardless, it isn't easy to navigate, and I think this Web program is
becoming more and more popular.
Given the accessibility challenges of this Web application, Doodle, I'm
wondering if there is another Web poll type application that people on the
list have used with less consternation, frustration, stress, and strain.
Any help would be appreciated.
All of us are smarter than any one of us.
Thanks!

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

How about RFB&D, or whatever they're calling themselves these days.
There's a one-time sign-up fee, but you're probably already a user, so
you'd know about that.

Ted

Hi does anyone know of any websites where ebooks can be downloaded free?
Looking for law books for study purposes.
Thanks

On 5/15/12, Londa Peterson <lpeterson@tricountyblind.org> wrote:
I've done it successfully, but you have to navigate down to where the
checkboxes are. You're right that it's not very straightforward, but
it can be done.

[...]

REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY,
INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR
WRITTEN TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE
OF AVOIDING PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

recipients above and may contain information that is privileged,
attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender at
402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.
scrubbed...
201205
15/602c9dea/attachment.html>

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

If you can afford law school, you can probably afford your books too.

Perhaps buy them, scan them, and submit them to Bookshare.

Get Learning Alley to put them on disc for you.

Ask your school's disability services what they can do. etc. etc.

At 04:16 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:
[...]

ANY FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD NOT BE
USED OR
RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND
SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING
PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and
delete this
E-mail message.
Thank you.

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

I find it ironic that you're asking for illegal copies of law books *LOL*
Ever heard of Bit Torrent? Google it. I'm not going into detail on a public forum such as this. Use that kean legal mind to break the law yourself.
Google is your friend.

At 04:16 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:
[...]

yep, it's called Learning Ally now. Sorry, in my other reply I typed Alley, not Ally. (a l l y)

At 04:20 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:
[...]

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the
named
recipients above and may contain information that is privileged,
attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law.
If you

have received this message in error, please notify the sender at
402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.
scrubbed...

wogg le4 <woggle4@...>

I do not have time to scan and do not have someone else to do this for me.
I did not say that I was looking for illegal copies. It is pure
presumption on your part to suggest otherwise.
Few torrents have good quality law books.

At 04:20 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:
[...]

Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free:
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

DJ

He wrote "FREE", not illegal. Try reading the original message again.

[...]

ok, I'm sorry. I read way too much into your use of the word "free".

At 04:20 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:
[...]

Facebook:
Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free:
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

During my college years (both student and teacher) I utilized a
combination of RFB and the Rehabilitation Materials Unit here in
Kentucky. The latter involved purchasing books and submitting them for
recording. You not only got the book, it also went into the general
pool. The computer revolution was just getting under way when I took my
final degree in '82. I don't remember when TI first taught its
computers to talk, but I think it was about a year later, with Apple and
IBM following close behind.

Ted

[...]

/>
201205
15/602c9dea/attachment.html>
Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free:
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Stephanie Switzer

Try the Gootenberg project. (probably misspelled that)

At 04:20 PM 5/15/2012, you wrote:
[...]

George B

well that is chris get use to him

[...]

Mastering/139114066128698
Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free:
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Thanks Oscar, oops George. This list just wouldn't be the same without you.
At 02:35 PM 5/16/2012, you wrote:
[...]

Bill Spiry

I can't stand seeing someone enter the lion's den without the right weapon.
Your best bet is getting digital copies of the law texts from the
publishers. You may get lucky and find some of your books on Bookshare or
RFB&D, but often they are out of date editions and you also don't have the
flexibility of a file in which you can make notations while studying.
Work with your Dean of student affairs to connect with the publishers. You
will need to purchase the books and provide the receipt to the publishers.
With that, the publishers should provide digital copies of your texts that
you can use on your computer with JAWS. The publishers want this to happen
through a law school representative however. That was our Dean of student
affairs.

I also suggest that you request that the school provide student work study
hours to pay for someone to "work with you as your text "editor". They
should do that as the schools have an obligation to give you reasonable
accommodations and they're always looking for ways of finding work study
hours for students through financial aid. Your editor will help by
converting the digital textbooks into useable form for you. when the books
come from the publishers they usually are massive PDF or Word files that
generally choke your machine to a standstill. Have the editor or someone
else work with you to convert the PDFS into Word (better to take notes in
the margins using comments feature) and break the massive files down into
smaller sets of files that are more manageable. You could probably do this
yourself but the bottom line is that you aren't going to have time for that
busy work, trust me on that. I found that it was good to first break the
book down into a separate file for each chapter. If the chapters are more
than about 50 to 70 pages long, I found it useful to break them down further
into bite sized files of about 25 pages plus or minus 10, you'll also want
your editor to ensure that the word pagenation is properly set for each file
so that each portion of the book starts with the proper page number
correlating with your TOC (i.e. if Chapter 2 part 2 begins on page 186 in
the table of contents, word settings should be changed so that pagination
begins with page 186 in your document). Messed up pagination was one of the
biggest Pains in the butt for me my first year because your syllabi will
often show reading assignments by some page range out in the middle of no
where in the text and you've got to figure out where that is. Major PITA.

One more suggestion, name the separate files for the text with filenames
that quickly give you the info you need when you go searching for them. I'd
suggest an organization system starting with a folder named for your course,
with a subfolder named for the textbook (like "Evidence for Dummies 101 -Ol'
Milwaukie" with the last being the author name. in that subfolder set up a
separate subfolder for each chapter with a logical name like "CH03 Here say
while hung-over". In there you'll place your file or files for the chapter.
Good to name the files with the page range included, something like,
"CH03heresayP1-212-279.docx" the "P1" would indicate that this is part 1 of
chapter 3 and then you'd include P2, P3, etc for the other subparts files.

BTW, you may have to pay for your books but the bright side is that you'll
have a set of pristine new copies, some with the plastic wrap still on them,
for resale to your law school buddies. Shop on Amozon for the books, get a
better price than your bookstore will give you, and in most instances you'll
be able to resell them in new condition in the in student market and get
back what you paid. Note: the publishers require that you buyt the books
"new" not used for this digital copy arrangement. If you buy them online,
make sure your invoice shows that the book is "new".

If you have questions feel free to contact me offline.

Side comment, affording law school has little to do with having money, you
simpley borrow your way into eternal debt unless you're crafty enough to get
some scholarship bucks.

Bill Spiry
J.D. Class of 2012
University of Oregon School of Law