moderated Outlook, .pop vs imap account

Gudrun Brunot

Hi: Up until recently, I’ve had a .pop account with my Outlook 2010. Per recommendations from knowledgeable and trustworthy individuals, I’ve switched over to imap. What I’ve noticed is that the action is a lot less crisp and snappy than with my old .pop account. The advantage with imap is, supposedly, that your messages, except for the absolute most recent ones, reside on your server rather than taking up space on your hard drive, thus older messages can be downloaded if you click on them. My interaction with my .pop email account, deleting, moving, reading, used to be immediate. I now experience a lot of sluggish delays, plus JAWS freezing, with my imap. When I delete messages, same thing. I often have to sit there and wait for a deletion to finish, and JAWS freezes. It often doesn’t seem to matter whether I delete one message or three conversations. What’s the experience of the rest of you?

Gudrun

Find my resume, listen to samples, and read about my services: vocal instruction, voiceover production, translation, phone interpreting, sound design, and hear clips from my CD, J-Walking by visiting

http://www.gudrunbrunot.com

New Email Address:  brunotgudrun@...

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

The delay could be from a number of factors. Internet speed, processor speed, etc. You did not mention what version of jaws you are using.
The other advantage to iMap is that if you have more than one device accessing your mail, they will always be in sync.
I have Outlook 2016 and Jaws 2018 and have no noticeable delay and Jaws does not freeze.
Richard

On May 31, 2018, at 5:09 AM, Gudrun Brunot <brunotgudrun@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Same thing here with IMAP. I still use it, though, because I have two computers, and I wouldn’t be able to see the same messages on both computers if I used POP.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi Richard, I've got Windows 7 and JFW 2018. Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm glad it isn't inherent in having imap. I was afraid it would be. I have a huge email structure and have been struggling to move it over to imap from .pop, and the idea of it being a shift for the worse was hugely disturbing. For some reason, it seems to have improved somewhat as of yesterday.

Gudrun

Please note my new email of brunotgudrun@gmail.com

On May 31, 2018, at 5:09 AM, Gudrun Brunot <brunotgudrun@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

http://www.gudrunbrunot.com <https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gudrunbrunot.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C8ad9ee54f5c8456a269008d5c6ef5518%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636633653578681583&sdata=V9aJdwJXefEdjLrH%2FPFy1U1LiPDG%2F2EVmlmaDBqetv0%3D&reserved=0>

New Email Address: brunotgudrun@gmail.com <mailto:brunotgudrun@gmail.com>

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Gudrun. The reason your email improved is this:

When you first switch from POP to IMAP, your computer must create the IMAP folders, and download the headers and the messages from the server into those newly created folders. This takes some time, and often, there are synchronization errors which occur during the download process. This is not because there is really a problem with the email setup. Instead, it is because there are so many messages and headers to download. Outlook becomes overwhelmed with the enormous amount of messages, and gives a synchronization error. The fix for this is simply to allow the "cancel" message to remain on the screen. After maybe an hour or so, the "Cancel" message will disappear, and outlook will return to the inbox. After this initial extreme behavior, outlook returns to a more or less normal, stable behavior.

Bill White
billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

As Richard said, internet speed might be a factor if you just made the switch. Outlook will keep a local copy of your email on each machine. I don’t know much about IMAP since I always preferred Outlook.com (formerlhy Hotmail) and it uses Exchange Active Sync. But I assume with IMAP you can specify how much of your email you want downloaded to your computer for offline storage. Maybe it’s now faster because the shync has finished, but since it does always look online for changes it is certainly possible that there is a small difference to using POP, for me it’s been probably 10 or 12 years since I last used POP so I really can’t remember, but with several computers what a pain in the neck it was compared to how easy it is today, if I get a new PC I just set up my account and all my mail, contacts, notes etc. magically appear.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Cristóbal

I used to have this in the past, but not for a long while. I guess the question is, what version of Jaws are you using? I’m on Office 2016 now, so I don’t’ know if that matters at all.

In general though, I’ve found imap to be less snappy with deleting and Jaws reacting than pop3 was. It’s not something I really even notice anymore though. Microsoft Exchange accounts are pretty good as far as Jaws responsiveness too.

[...]

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

Bill,

You can see the same messages on as many computers as you wish with POP3 as long as on each machine you keep the box checked to keep a copy of the message on the server. I do this with my account I share with my wife.

Al

[...]

Hi, Alan. I have had occasions where, even though the box was checked to keep a copy of the message on the server, I couldn’t get my messages on another device unless I used the “Recent: protocol in my address. The drawback to this method is that all your old messages, even those from months ago get downloaded to the other machine.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

After changing to a new computer a few weeks ago, I was unable to get my old gmail account under pop3 using Outlook 2013 to work and was forced to change to imap.  The newly installed Outlook would not allow me to setup a Gmail pop3 account.

I am anything but pleased with the result because I am being flooded with duplicate mail.

The mail is downloaded into the inbox as you would expect  but a copy of many of the messages is sent to another box called “important”. I have to go through this list as well because sometimes this box receives messages which are not sent to the inbox. This means manually removeing messages from both boxes.

Just today, another gmail account, which has nothing to do with this one, received messages from this list but they  had a 2017 date and they were sent to the “important” box of that account.

Does anyone know of another provider which has free email accounts like gmail  which allows pop3 accounts. There is Hotmail of course but have never used it.

Thanks

Tom

I am thinking very seriously of

[...]

Tom,

            This has absolutely nothing to do with IMAP protocol.  It sounds like filters are being used, probably in Outlook itself, which is copying messages.  Nothing you describe is characteristic of the many, many e-mail clients I've set up over the years using IMAP access, and that's the only protocol I'll use if I have a choice since the vast majority of people are accessing their accounts from multiple devices these days and POP quickly becomes a nightmare scenario with multiple devices and lack of very careful planning.

         ~ Mark Twain

Tom,

          Also, the messages in Gmail's Important box, which is a virtual folder that is meant to contain a subset of your normal Inbox messages as Gmail learns what you prioritize (at least via the web interface, anyway), are always a subset of what's in your Inbox and if you delete the message from Important it disappears "automagically" from Inbox and vice versa.

           I never even look at the Important virtual folder since everything is contained in Inbox and I always go through all of my e-mail messages.

         ~ Mark Twain

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Yes, but they don’t actually sync, e.g. if you reply to a message on one computer or device the message on the other computer is not flagged as replied to and the sent message is not in the sent items folder. Also, if you delete a message on one computer it does not get deleted from all others etc. I usually compare POP and IMAP/Exchange the same way as I would compare a landline to a smartphone. You can make a phone call with both, but with one you are sort of stuck and very limited with respect to functionality and with the other (the smartphone) you can do a lot more and more efficiently. Anybody who has a smartphone and a computer or even more than 2 devices really should not use POP any more. Also, discussing mail doesn’t even touch on the advantages when it comes to syncing contacts and calendars with IMAP and Exchange/Exchange Active Sync and also it is so much more secure in that if your computer crashes and you loose your PST file you have lost nothing if you use IMAP or Exchange, you simply set up your account on a new machine and everything is there.

[...]

Gmail actually does not send copies of these emails to different accounts. Gmail uses labels and not really mailboxes so oe message can have labels which makes it belong to multiple “mailboxes”. As I said before, gmail and I never saw eye to eye and I have always preferred Hotmail or, Outlook.com, as it is now known. Outlook.com is a very good and advanced service and I highly recommend it.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Sieghard,

          Just FYI, behind the scenes Gmail's "labels" are all implemented as IMAP folders and the Inbox itself is a logical folder that is capable of referencing messages in all other (non-trash, non-spam) folders at one time.

          I have always hated the fact that Gmail elected to use the term "labels" but as soon as you start using Gmail with an e-mail client and IMAP access each and every label has its own IMAP folder.  Filters assigning "labels" are actually placing messages into these folders, too.

          And I'm 100% in agreement with you with regard to using IMAP unless you have no other option (which is becoming really rare these days).  The moment you need to add another device, or even decide to get a new computer, the server-side nature of IMAP becomes a godsend.  There's no need to do anything with regard to porting messages, contacts, etc.  You simply set up your e-mail account(s) on your new device or in your newly chosen e-mail client and everything you're used to having around, including every message and folder, "automagically" appears (or at least the messages and folders do - some clients "play better" than others with IMAP servers with regard to contacts).

         ~ Mark Twain

Kenny Peyattt jr.

I used pop with my windows phone once, because when I tried setting it up with imap it would not work properly.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

            This has absolutely nothing to do with IMAP protocol.  It sounds like filters are being used, probably in Outlook itself, which is copying messages.  Nothing you describe is characteristic of the many, many e-mail clients I've set up over the years using IMAP access, and that's the only protocol I'll use if I have a choice since the vast majority of people are accessing their accounts from multiple devices these days and POP quickly becomes a nightmare scenario with multiple devices and lack of very careful planning.

         ~ Mark Twain

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Thanks for your reply Brian.

I’ll have a look at some of the Outlook settings.

Thanks also for the info on manually updating Defender.

Prior to the 1803 update, Defender displayed  the number of threats found so far while the scan was in progress but this info is no longer available.

Tom