highlighted text

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this problem. I'm stumped.

I've recently created two documents for a job I am training on. I was just told that in each case, some of the text remained highlighted. I'm not sure what that really means or how it got that way or, better yet, how to identify and remove it. I've never had JAWS tell me highlighted text other than when I select it for copy and paste, or to look up a specific word, etc. This is with Word 2003, but note that the proprietary software that runs in with Word might be affecting this problem. But is there a way to have Jaws identify highlighted text in a Word document? I gather this is some kind of visual formatting that stays with the text. I do have Jaws set to read text and attributes.

Jean

Dave...

Jean,

Ask them to be more specific. Some people say text if highlighted when it's
bold, or underlined, or italicized. Some call it highlighted when it's a
different color, or superscripted. Others call it correctly when the
background behind the text is different either in shading or color.

You should be able to detect highlighted text with colors and attributes
turned on.

I'm not on 2003 any more, but you may also want to go to Tools/Options and
on the edit page (I think) there are several checkboxes where you can have
hidden characters show, and highlighting may be there.

I'm rambling now, but there may also be something in the Settings Center for
JAWS under text where you need to turn on detecting highlights -- or is it
the Quick setting dialog?

Well, you have something to chew on now.

Dave Carlson

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this problem. I'm stumped.

I've recently created two documents for a job I am training on. I was just
told that in each case, some of the text remained highlighted. I'm not sure
what that really means or how it got that way or, better yet, how to
identify and remove it. I've never had JAWS tell me highlighted text other
than when I select it for copy and paste, or to look up a specific word,
etc. This is with Word 2003, but note that the proprietary software that
runs in with Word might be affecting this problem. But is there a way to
have Jaws identify highlighted text in a Word document? I gather this is
some kind of visual formatting that stays with the text. I do have Jaws set
to read text and attributes.

Jean

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Thanks Dave,

I'll pass that along and inquire further.

Jean

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this problem. I'm stumped.

I've recently created two documents for a job I am training on. I was just
told that in each case, some of the text remained highlighted. I'm not sure
what that really means or how it got that way or, better yet, how to
identify and remove it. I've never had JAWS tell me highlighted text other
than when I select it for copy and paste, or to look up a specific word,
etc. This is with Word 2003, but note that the proprietary software that
runs in with Word might be affecting this problem. But is there a way to
have Jaws identify highlighted text in a Word document? I gather this is
some kind of visual formatting that stays with the text. I do have Jaws set
to read text and attributes.

Jean

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

Jean:
Dave is correct. The sighted world will often refer to something that is in yellow as being highlighted. Nevertheless, I am going to go out on a limb here because what has happened to you has happened to me too.
In Word 2003 there is an obscure function called highlighting which produces a color change but, in fact, isn't, in the world of Word, a font color change at all.
Do this:
Press ALT.
Then press control plus tap several times -- until JAWS says "display for review"
This is the tool bar that lets you "accept" and "reject" text. I know this seems like an unlikely place for "highlighting," but trust me this far.
Now, hit tab about 7 times (shift plus tab is closer, but I think it helps just to hear all the options on this tool bar.
If you get past "comments," the tool bar item you want is next.
This tool bar item is, in fact, called "highlighting."
Use down arrow. The first option is "none." Other options include "yellow," "red," and "green."
Now, you know where the culprit is, how do you get rid of the "highlighting?"
Remember, this is technically not a font change, so control plus d won't work.
As Dave said, use the scheme "Colors" and identify the text that is in a different color. Usually, it is "yellow, but as you saw, it could be green or red too.
Once it is "selected," go into the tool bar item I mentioned and choose "none."
That will solve your problem. No more highlighting!
Now, you ask, "Do I have to read every line to find this "highlighted" text."
Actually, you can search for it.
Press control plus f.
Make sure nothing is in the search box. Press back space just to be sure.
Then, tab forward until you hear "more." Hit the space bar.
Now, keep tabbing until you hear "format."
This lets you search for all sorts of formatting stuff, including, guess what, "highlighting"
Hit down arrow until you hear "highlighting."
Complete the search. That should put you on the proper text. Double check with the cursor and the "colors" scheme, as mentioned above.
Again, as mentioned above, "select" the text and, from the tool bar item, select "none."
Repeat the find operation with shift plus F-4 to find other occurrences.
Do not feel bad that you didn't know about this "highlighting" feature. As you can see from the above, it is pretty obscure.

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this problem. I'm stumped.

I've recently created two documents for a job I am training on. I was just told that in each case, some of the text remained highlighted. I'm not sure what that really means or how it got that way or, better yet, how to identify and remove it. I've never had JAWS tell me highlighted text other than when I select it for copy and paste, or to look up a specific word, etc. This is with Word 2003, but note that the proprietary software that runs in with Word might be affecting this problem. But is there a way to have Jaws identify highlighted text in a Word document? I gather this is some kind of visual formatting that stays with the text. I do have Jaws set to read text and attributes.

Jean

Thank you.

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Ed,

This sounds very promising. Your description makes sense, even if I don't
know how highlighting got applied in the first place. On my next file, I
will see what the default settings are on that toolbar as the document
template loads. You might have just nailed this nasty problem.

I'll let you know ...

Jean

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this problem. I'm stumped.

I've recently created two documents for a job I am training on. I was just
told that in each case, some of the text remained highlighted. I'm not sure
what that really means or how it got that way or, better yet, how to
identify and remove it. I've never had JAWS tell me highlighted text other
than when I select it for copy and paste, or to look up a specific word,
etc. This is with Word 2003, but note that the proprietary software that
runs in with Word might be affecting this problem. But is there a way to
have Jaws identify highlighted text in a Word document? I gather this is
some kind of visual formatting that stays with the text. I do have Jaws set
to read text and attributes.

Jean
RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

By the way,
I just had a document with exactly the same problem. I followed the steps I outlined for you, and it worked like a charm.
One thing to remember. If you do the search for "highlighting," be sure to turn it off.
Otherwise, the next time you look for a string of text, Word will look for both the string and the highlighting. You turn off the search for highlighting the same way I described how to turn it on.

[...]

Hi Ed,

So, how did you know your document had the same problem in the first place?
Do you typically use the attributes and colors scheme just to be sure? I
guess my question is since I've never known about this before, how do you
know about it in the first place? I'm thinking, since this is an imprtant
document template, it might e best to check that Highlight combo box and set
it to none before typing anything. That at least might prevent the problem.

Thanks.

Jean

[...]

Client sent document with the statement, "Note the highlighted language. We need to discuss."
So, this was someone telling me they had highlighted something.
Without that, I wouldn't know unless I turned on the "colors" scheme in JAWS.
I think you are seeing highlighting in documents that you and/or others may have edited -- without necessarily mentioning that there is highlighting.
I guess that means you have to read everything initially with "colors" scheme, or in the alternative, just check using the search technique I mentioned -- though that is pretty awkward. You might try a Word macro.
Also, one source of "stuff" like this is copying and pasting. I always paste from other documents using "paste special," using Unicode text.
That way you get the text and nothing but the text.

[...]

About Paste Special. I've always used paste as unformatted text, as I
didn't know what unicode text meant. Maybe that's what put highlighting
into the document. Thanks for yet another tip.

Jean

[...]

I found out where the highlighted text was coming from in my case. The
built-in app has a feature for inserting a text field for anything I can't
hear in a transcription. Little did I know, but that text field is in
yellow, and depending on how you exit it, the color can get drug along
outside of the field. Now I can at least watch for it.

Jean

[...]

Brilliant to have figured that one out.
I would have never guessed.

[...]

George Marshall

Ed:
Thanks for the paste special tip, I never thought of using it.
George R. Marshall
marshall.geoma4@gmail.com