From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of epierce@surewest.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:00 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: No, Thanks -- Live, Free Telephone Helpfor setting-up Peachtree Complete Accounting

I would encourage you to lobby them to get 64 bit Windows 7 for you, especially if you need to run something beastly like Peachtree.

There are some disadvantages to a 64 bit OS. 64 bit drivers for older peripherals such as a printers/scanners can be harder to find than 32 bit drivers. Some legacy software might run better in 32 bit "compatibility" mode.

If you do not have to worry about old legacy software or old peripherals, 64 bit and >= 6GB RAM is probably an excellent choice for people seeking performance improvements.

At some point in the future 32 bit software will be obsolete, just as 16 bit and 8 bit software is now almost completely obsolete.

If I remember correctly, Windows Server 2008 does not have a 32 bit version.

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:00:52 -0700
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com (on behalf of "Farfar Back to the
Salt Mines" <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net>)
Peachtree Complete Accounting
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
... I see that I'll not be installing this application any time soon
for this one comment you made:

"We have also revised the Guide to be a bit more specific about system
requirements; in particular, lots of RAM. Personally, my laptop has
eighth gigabytes of RAM. We recommend that amount. I have observed
that, with six or less gigabytes of RAM, the system bogs-down. This
is a natural result of the demands on any system put upon it by
running both Peachtree and JAWS.
That is heavy. My own experience on my laptop is that it operates
plenty fast, and has never crashed. But, again, a smokin' computer is
a prerequisite."

*** end of clip ***

Then you are saying that this application requires a 64-bit smokin'
operating system to use. I must have missed that somewhere, or if it's
not specifically stated anywhere -- it certainly should be. Not
everyone has this, nor the 8G of RAM. MY order for a Cray computer has
still not been approved by my company.

It does explain why it brought my mere Windows 7 32-bit quad core 4G
RAM system to its knees yesterday

epierce@...

Microsoft does not require 6GB for Windows 7. They might recommend it for demanding applications, as they should.

For sighted users on medium powered CPUs, the best performance increases I've seen are from using a nice video card on sale for < $125 and 6GB on the 64 bit versions of Windows 7. A registry cleaner and aggressive disk defragmenter will keep the inevitable Windows performance slowdowns somewhat manageable.

After training on VAX/VMS mimicomputers, I started working in IT with: Oracle 5 server on Netware 2.x. The single CPU server (286?) was probably 1% of today's standard laptop in power, the RAM requirements for Oracle were, for that time, very high: 64KB.

Yes, KB. Not MB. Not GB.

Spacious hard drives were 5MB. Not GB.

I think the software was 8bit, but it might have been 16bit.

Microsoft's operating system architecture is appallingly bad in many ways, but somewhat better than it used to be.

Best wishes and good luck with your business.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That's interesting, because the early buzz on 7 was it was not a resource hog, and would be an easy upgrade for most machines. I don't know how much I have in this box, but, based on experience, I'll bet a nickel it's not more than 2GB.

Ted

just to chime-in here, there is no requirement for a 64-bit system for a smooth operation of Peachtree Complete Accounting. In fact, the vast majority of testing has been on 32-bit systems.

That said, as noted below, 64-bit is far faster. One ought to note that even now the most resource intensive applications come in 64-bit versions e.g., (Windows 7, JAWS, Internet Explorer). Whenever possible, I always go for the 64-bit version.

RAM, is, however, the key ingredient for everything; is it not? Indeed, I believe Microsoft itself strongly recommends at least six gigabytes of RAM just to satisfy Windows 7's needs.

Anyway, Peachtree works great on a 32-bit machine; but if a user has less than six gigabytes of RAM it will be slow.

All the best,
Richard