Subject: JAWS 13.0.852 Update Available
From: "Dave Mitchell" <mitch@orbitelcom.com>
Date: 04-24-2012 08:02

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Gary King

Dave,
You're a little slow this morning! After all of the problems you've had with JAWS updates in the past, you should get the joke! Although, I'll admit that sometimes when FS plays an update joke on us, it isn't very funny.

Gary
King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

From: "Dave Mitchell" <mitch@orbitelcom.com>
Date: 04-24-2012 08:02

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Dave...

Gary,

Oh, and here's the list. I guess the sports fans will again be happy until
ResearchIt breaks again.

Enhancements in JAWS 13.0.852 (April 2012) region start
enhancements in JAWS 13.0.852 (April 2012)
The following is a list of items addressed or added between the final JAWS
13.0.718 release and the JAWS 13.0.852 posting.
. Improved how JAWS works in ARIA menus in Internet Explorer and Firefox.
. A new DAISY book on using the Convenient OCR feature is now available. To
install this book, select Check for Updates from the JAWS Help menu, then
choose
Convenient OCR DAISY Book.
. The NBA, NHL, and MLB ResearchIt lookup sources now include the city for
each team in the results just like with the NFL lookup source.
. Resolved issues with the NFL and Business Search ResearchIt lookup sources
not correctly returning results.
. Resolved a reported issue where in some cases, characters would be missing
when typing in Microsoft Word.
. Addressed issues encountered in WPF applications when selecting text and
navigating by paragraph.
. Resolved an issue with the GetColumnText built--in script function not
working as expected in Microsoft Excel.
. JAWS now announces the character being deleted when you press the
BACKSPACE key in the Express version of Visual Studio 2010.
. When US International is set as the default input language in Windows 7
64-bit, addressed an issue where the Typing Echo setting in JAWS was not
honored
when entering text using 32-bit applications such as Microsoft Word or
Internet Explorer. In addition, JAWS would echo the characters in password
edit
fields.
. In Internet Explorer, If an ARIA live region is inside of an iframe, JAWS
will now read the live region as expected.
. Resolved an intermittent issue under Windows 7 64-bit where JAWS would not
close properly when attempting to shut down or reboot the computer. When
this
occured, the computer would need to be manually powered off.
. When performing any of the JAWS table navigation keystrokes in a message
in Lotus Notes, JAWS now indicates that table navigation is not supported.
This
functionality is not available in Lotus Notes.
. Resolved a customer reported issue where Excel 2010 on Windows XP would
unexpectedly close when attempting to navigate in the Names Manager dialog
box.
. When navigating a form in Microsoft Word that contains dropdown combo
boxes, resolved an issue where braille Structured Mode was showing mnu
instead of
cbo when the field is closed.
. Resolved an issue in Microsoft Word where the message "press F1 for help"
was not being flashed in braille when focused on a form field that offers
associated
help. If the F1 Help option in Quick Settings is set to Read with formfield,
the help message for a form field is also now flashed in braille.
. Resolved an issue where only the last word was underlined in braille after
pressing CTRL+A to select all in a multi-line edit field in Firefox.
. Addressed an issue in Microsoft Outlook where JAWS was saying "bogus radio
button" when using the INSERT+B command to read the Appointment Recurrence
dialog box.
. Addressed issues of JAWS not properly identifying Move-up and Move-down
buttons in various Microsoft Office dialog boxes.
. Resolved a customer reported issue where the message "computer braille"
was being announced after every keystroke when composing a message in Lotus
Notes
7.
. Improved JAWS reading when navigating in ARIA treeviews in Firefox 11.
. Resolved an issue with navigating in a Microsoft Word form that uses a
table where pressing INSERT+TAB was not reporting the current position in
the form.
This command worked correctly when used in a table that was not part of a
form. In addition, the contents of form fields are now announced before the
table
position information.
. Resolved an issue where pressing INSERT+H in Lotus Notes to list the
available hot keys was displaying command descriptions, but not the
associated keystroke.
. JAWS now correctly recognizes the datatable=0 tag attribute in Firefox.
. Resolved a customer reported issue where JAWS was not working properly
with the Nuance Enterprise Express Editor, a medical transcription plugin
for Word.
. Resolved an issue using JAWS with the Key Note Gold speech synthesizer.
. Updated the JAWS help for Microsoft Access to clarify which keystrokes
only work in Access 2003.

Dave Carlson

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

epierce@...

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7 Enterprise (joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office 2010. ATI video card. This is in an environment where there has been a history of significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (connected to an Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS worked well was with Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

Cristóbal

So far, so good. I haven't noticed any substantive improvements, but I
haven't as of yet found anything that may have been broken either. I created
a restore point beforehand just in case though.

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7 Enterprise
(joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office 2010. ATI video
card. This is in an environment where there has been a history of
significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (connected to an
Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS worked well was with
Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

Dave...

Chris,

You are indeed brave. I'm just crazy. And if there's no substantive
improvement, then perhaps "no harm, no foul"? Or perhaps the line used by
some in the medical profession: "Do no harm". A relief release, perhaps. A
placebo?

I could go on, but I'm even tiring myself.

Dave Carlson

So far, so good. I haven't noticed any substantive improvements, but I
haven't as of yet found anything that may have been broken either. I created
a restore point beforehand just in case though.

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7 Enterprise
(joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office 2010. ATI video
card. This is in an environment where there has been a history of
significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (connected to an
Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS worked well was with
Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

Niall Gallagher

Could I ask somewhat of a rookie question.... How do you create a restore point? is it a backup of your system or just JAWS?

Regards,

Niall

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2012, at 5:15 PM, "Cristobal" <crismunoz54@gmail.com> wrote:

So far, so good. I haven't noticed any substantive improvements, but I
haven't as of yet found anything that may have been broken either. I created
a restore point beforehand just in case though.

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7 Enterprise
(joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office 2010. ATI video
card. This is in an environment where there has been a history of
significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (connected to an
Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS worked well was with
Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

Cristóbal

If you're using Windows 7, you've got to create a restore point via System
protection. It's for the entire system.
How To Geek gives a quick and easy to follow explanation on how to do it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3195/create-a-system-restore-point-in-windows
-7/

If you're on XP, then if memory serves, you can do it from within the system
restore option itself.

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7
Enterprise (joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office
2010. ATI video card. This is in an environment where there has been a
history of significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010
(connected to an Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS
worked well was with Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

Dave...

Niall,

Glad to help. Depending on your operating system there are different ways to
get into the restore dialog. Once you're there, however you have the choice
to restore or to make a restore point. In fact Windows 7 may even treat this
as a separate dialog, but in XP it's in a series of checkboxes.

Once you've selected, you will give it some sort of name like "Just before
Armageddon" or whatever, and initiate. It will make a restore point image
and give it that name. If you need to undo a disaster after sub sequentially
installing something like a Maserati-based Accounting Package, well then
it's easy to find and launch that restore to undo.

Which is something I should have done yesterday, but didn't. So spent more
time than necessary uninstalling stuff. But hey, I can preach, but don't
expect me to always follow my own lessons.

Dave Carlson

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7
Enterprise
(joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office 2010. ATI video
card. This is in an environment where there has been a history of
significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (connected to an
Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS worked well was with
Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

brad

Forgive me, but how do you make a restore point before hand. I would like
to check out the update but if it is inadequate, I would like to go back to
the 14.0718 jawas update.

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Niall Gallagher

Thank you very much. I think I remember carrying out a similar process some time back when I was batteling with a virus, but it is very much in the past.

Thank you once again,

Niall

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2012, at 6:28 PM, "Farfar Back to the Salt Mines" <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

heh i guess he isn't a fan of Jaws 13. But, I have to say it is more responsive, snappier, and more reliable than 12 was on my Windows 7 64-bit machine here. I'm happy with it.

At 11:05 AM 4/24/2012, you wrote:
Do not understand. What is your point?

Dave Carlson
Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Cristóbal

JFW 12 was a disaster for me. 11 was so much better and other than a buggy
13 update from a few months back, 13 has worked fine enough. I can't really
say if this new 13 update is at all snappier, but so far it at least hasn't
given me any issues.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free:
http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Michael Grove <attackfisherman1@...>

When You download anything your computer creates a restore point
automatically.

Forgive me, but how do you make a restore point before hand. I would like
to check out the update but if it is inadequate, I would like to go back to
the 14.0718 jawas update.

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Dave...

Um, I don't think so. Install, yes, but download, I don't think so. In any
case I prefer applying a label so that I don't have to guess which of
several restore points is the one I want.

Dave Carlson

When You download anything your computer creates a restore point
automatically.

Forgive me, but how do you make a restore point before hand. I would like
to check out the update but if it is inadequate, I would like to go back to
the 14.0718 jawas update.

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

dan Kerstetter <dhk55@...>

A restore point is created for when the new software was installed. If I'm
doing something major to my computer, I'll usually create a restore point
prior to the operation.

Dan

When You download anything your computer creates a restore point
automatically.

Forgive me, but how do you make a restore point before hand. I would like
to check out the update but if it is inadequate, I would like to go back to
the 14.0718 jawas update.

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

Dave Durber

Hello Michael and everybody:

I have not found this to be true.

A restore point is not created when you download anything!

A restore point is only created, if the manufacturer of the product you are installing, determines that one should be created, in case you want to restore your computer to the condition, before the software was installed.

This is why, before installing any software, you should create a user defined restore point or, use an image backup program.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

When You download anything your computer creates a restore point
automatically.

Forgive me, but how do you make a restore point before hand. I would like
to check out the update but if it is inadequate, I would like to go back to
the 14.0718 jawas update.

Produced on a Nokia N95 using Nuance TALKS screen-reading software.

Now you've got to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? Dirty Harry Calahan

dave grossoehme

Good Morning: I see one major problem with this release of Jaws. When you
try and start the computer using Windows7 Professional with Ofice 10 you
can't get past the UAC. It doesn't make any difference whether you have
Jaws set to start automatically or start the program with your hotkey. The
bad thing about this is you don't hear anything but a beep. If you know
what is going on you can press the left arrow key and then the enter key or
the spacebar before Jaws can start. I wasn't sure what was going on so I
found a pair of eyes to check it out.
Your Friend Dave

I will probably be able to install it on a new test PC soon. Win7 Enterprise
(joined to a Microsoft network domain), 64 bit with Office 2010. ATI video
card. This is in an environment where there has been a history of
significant problems with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 (connected to an
Exchange server) with Windows 7. The last time JAWS worked well was with
Windows XP, Office 2003 and JAWS 8.

Dave...

How about disabling the UAK. I turned mine off very shortly after beginning
Windows 7 for the first time.

Otherwise, if repeatable, let FS know right away.

Dave Carlson