From what I recall, the most difficult part of the script was to pass through ordinary text, e.g., the text in the mouse search string.
Some on this list are proficient script writers, and they may tell me I'm on a fool's errand. If so, I'll still learn something. So, comment is invited.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:41 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Creating Shortcut Keys with Jaws?

Hello,
Is there a way to create a hot key through Jaws that will activate a link on a webpage? The webpage doesn't have one specified, but I navigate the webpage so much that it's becoming a major waste of time to hit 2 or 3 buttons when with a hot key I could just hit one.
I use:
http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
all the time and in particular, the link to find if you got the problem right takes lots of time to find after you've clicked the submit button with your answer. If I could get jaws to find the "Try next one" link super fast it would shave off like 6 seconds off each interval.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

Thank you.

Mike & Barbara <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brandon,

Yes, you can! If you are running XP try the following;

1. Go to the the website of choice.
2. With the website open, press Alt + F, for the file menu.
3. Arrow up to the, Send sub-menu, & press enter.
4. Arrow to, Shortcut To Desktop, & press enter.
5. Now, there will be a shortcut for this website on your desktop, & you can
now assign a shortcut keystroke to it .

Here's another way to do this.

1. Go to the the website of choice.
2. Press the applications key, to open the context menu or, press, shift +
F10.
3. Arrow up to, Create Shortcut, & press enter.
4. You will get a dialogue asking, " Do you want to put a shortcut to this
website on your desktop?" Tab to yes, & press the spacebar.
5. Now, assign a keystroke to the shortcut on the desktop.

I'm sure you can do the above in Windows7 as well. Hope this helps. Take
care.
Mike

Is there a way to create a hot key through Jaws that will activate a link
on a webpage? The webpage doesn’t have one specified, but I navigate the
webpage so much that it’s becoming a major waste of time to hit 2 or 3
buttons when with a hot key I could just hit one.
I use:
http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
all the time and in particular, the link to find if you got the problem
right takes lots of time to find after you’ve clicked the submit button with
your answer. If I could get jaws to find the “Try next one” link super fast
it would shave off like 6 seconds off each interval.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

Mike & Barbara <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brandon,

I just checked on my Windows7 system, & the same steps I posted earlier will
work in that operating system as well. In both XP & Windows7, I am running
Jaws13 & IE8. Take care.
Mike

Is there a way to create a hot key through Jaws that will activate a
link
on a webpage? The webpage doesn’t have one specified, but I navigate the
webpage so much that it’s becoming a major waste of time to hit 2 or 3
buttons when with a hot key I could just hit one.
I use:
http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
all the time and in particular, the link to find if you got the problem
right takes lots of time to find after you’ve clicked the submit button
with
your answer. If I could get jaws to find the “Try next one” link super
fast
it would shave off like 6 seconds off each interval.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

northstar1950@...

you will need to use the move function to move the mouse to a location on the screen provided that the location to click on doesn't change from one access of the page to another.

Legend has it that on Monday 4/23/2012 01:37 AM, Marquette, Ed said:
We have just "upgraded" to a new version of a Web application. This "upgrade" is definitely an accessibility step backwards in that there are some things (they aren't really links, buttons, graphics, forms, or anything else that JAWS recognizes) that are important, but almost entirely inaccessible.
The virtual cursor just skips over them; however, with the mouse search or JAWS search command, I can get the mouse to "find" the key text. Then, I can "left click" with the mouse simulation key.
Now, I think the next step will be to create this shortcut key you are talking about. It seems like the same problem.
I wish JAWS had a macro facility, but I'm almost positive that all of the keystrokes you are describing (and that I am describing) can be simulated with a script. Furthermore, I know one can associate a script with a keystroke -- say control plus windows plus M.
I've done this before, but it has been a long time. Nevertheless, I am going to try and report my success/failure in the hopes I'll learn (or remember) something and that at least one other person may benefit too.
From what I recall, the most difficult part of the script was to pass through ordinary text, e.g., the text in the mouse search string.
[...]

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

Dave...

Why not just mark it with Ctrl+Shift+K?

Dave Carlson

Is there a way to create a hot key through Jaws that will activate a link on
a webpage? The webpage doesn’t have one specified, but I navigate the
webpage so much that it’s becoming a major waste of time to hit 2 or 3
buttons when with a hot key I could just hit one.
I use:
http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
all the time and in particular, the link to find if you got the problem
right takes lots of time to find after you’ve clicked the submit button with
your answer. If I could get jaws to find the “Try next one” link super fast
it would shave off like 6 seconds off each interval.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

Dave...

There's something called "Hot Spot Clicker" that may solve all these issues.
Try Googling it. It's designed by Jim Snowbarger and used extensively by
blind users of audio production software to give them access.

Dave Carlson

[...]
From what I recall, the most difficult part of the script was to pass
through ordinary text, e.g., the text in the mouse search string.
[...]

RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE
IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES
UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.

E-mail message.
Thank you.

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

That works; however, the Web application is designed such that there are about 10 to 15 links/buttons/graphics of interest. So, even when bookmarked, there are still several presses of "k" to get to the right control.
The bookmarks are also, for me at least, a little unpredictable.
I'm definitely going to check out the Hotspot Clicker. Window Bridge used to have that function built in, and I backdoor rigged to get Window-Eyes to do the same thing, but GW Micro didn't support it and actively discouraged it.

Is there a way to create a hot key through Jaws that will activate a link on
a webpage? The webpage doesn't have one specified, but I navigate the
webpage so much that it's becoming a major waste of time to hit 2 or 3
buttons when with a hot key I could just hit one.
I use:
http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
all the time and in particular, the link to find if you got the problem
right takes lots of time to find after you've clicked the submit button with
your answer. If I could get jaws to find the "Try next one" link super fast
it would shave off like 6 seconds off each interval.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

Thank you.

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonboy13@...>

Hello,
The link that I want the shortcut key to go to is on the webpage itself and not something I can go to externally.
The big thing is I want to be able to hot key to find if I got it right or wrong. For everything the page looks the same.
If you get the problem wrong it will say

Sorry! You are wrong

(Link) try again
or

(link) try next one

When you get the problem right you have:

Yeah! That's right

(link) try next one

The page sometimes has a donate button at the top, but most of the time not.
What's ctrl K do? Also does hotspot clicker allow short cut keys?
What would be ideal is if I could set up a sound trigger to play when I get it right or wrong so I can know what hot key to press. I like to retry my missed problems.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Brandon. Look at Hot Spot Clicker.

Dave Carlson

[...]

I will always want the first link of interest on the page. So if bookmarking takes me to the first link always that will be what I want!
The page with all the checkboxes and the sound is not any problem as I can just hit F to get to the answer checkboxes and b to go to the button when I'm done. Although once in a blue moon when I hit F I will end up down in the bottom of the page where there are settings I can change. If there was a way to remove that from Jaws' view that would be amazing. I would just need a way to get it back every once in a while so I can increase the difficulty.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Gary King

I think Hotspot Clicker is overkill for Brandon, but may be what Ed needs. There's a pretty good learning curve for Hotspot Clicker. For Brandon PlaceMarkers are the right way to go. JAWS Help will provide instructions on how to set and use them.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

[...]

Soronel Haetir

I thought place-markers pretty much required that the item of interest
showed up in the virtual buffer though. And my understand is that the
virtual cursor simply skips past whatever it is he is trying to
trigger.

On 4/23/12, Gary King <w4wkz@bellsouth.net> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Gary King

Soronel,
There are 2 people asking for help here. I think you have them mixed up, or you didn't read my message carefully. Brandon's problem was on a web page where PlaceMarkers can be used. Ed's problem was with a program where there is no virtual cursor. This is why I suggested that HotSpot Clicker might be appropriate for him.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

[...]

So I finally tried out the place markers feature, but it doesn't stop continuous read... I have to be nice and fast in order to grab it before it goes on to the next link. I'm wondering if I can have it stop continuous read?
Also, often there are other place markers on the page I didn't set, like the link to the homepage and sometimes a random button here and there, and I'm wondering if I can get rid of those? If not, is there a way to order place markers in order of preference? I don't know where I'll land on the webpage when I enter, but when I hit K I always want to be taken to the highest priority place marker with the K key first.
Can this happen?
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

After some more experimentation, it seems to just repeat what my curser's on without jumping to the place marker with k.
for example:
The place marker is on link Joe.
My curser is on link Fred.
When I hit K with my curser on link Fred it says "Link Fred" and doesn't jump me to link Joe like it should.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Adrian Spratt

To delete a placemarker, press shift-control-k. You'll land on a list of the
placemarkers on that webpage, unless there aren't any, in which case JAWS
verbalizes "Zero items." Assuming there are placemarkers, arrow down to
locate one you don't want. Then tab until JAWS verbalizes "delete." Press
spacebar, then tab to okay.

The behavior you describe suggests the virtual cursor is off. Press JAWS
key-z to toggle the virtual cursor off and on.

[...]

The place markers I'm being taken to aren't there. There is just the place marker I put in.
What I've found is if I hit shift K I'm able to quickly hit the space bar and go to the next page. But now I'm wondering if there is some way to stop continuous read on this website only?
I don't have the virtual curser off, I think that would just be pointless, especially when I'm the only one using the computer...
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs

[...]

Are you saying you're experiencing this behavior on only one webpage?